1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever met another member of EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Apr 9, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

I went to a local LGBT book club last night and a guy who comes my way offered me a lift. I'd never met him before so it was very kind of him to do so. Anyway, we got chatting in the car about our coming out experiences and the difficulties we'd had coming to terms with our gayness. I mentioned that I had been helped a great deal by talking on Internet forums. He asked me if I had found EC. Turns out that he had joined when he was coming out a few years ago.

Have you ever met anybody who is a member of EC? Not people you know or you know who've recommended or you've recommended it to them I mean.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2013 at 04:53 AM ----------

Oh and as an addendum to my LGBT book club experience: I was sat having a drink and a chat with a couple of people waiting for other members to arrive and who should come walking up the stairs looking for the book club...? Only my tutor [English] from uni... I knew about her being a lesbian but she didn't know about me. She did an amusing double take when I said hello to her. I had a good laugh because her first contribution was to admit that she hadn't actually finished reading the book, she was only half way through... Oh the irony...

2. nkwacky

nkwacky Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha.. Not really. I just joined this site yesterday and have already met such wonderful folk.. I would definitely like to meet some ECers ..
    As for the book club incident... Haha.. Really funny :icon_bigg

3. Hexagon

Possibly. The subject hasn't been discussed by my lgbt group yet. I'd be interested, but also concerned. I'm no out as trans to my youth group :/

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obligatory disclaimer: EC's purpose is not to arrange meetups with other members. And contact information should under no circumstances be shared in any public part of the site.

That said: yes, I have met people from EC in real life. Four of them, in fact. In all cases, they were people I was in regular PM/Wallpost communication with before the topic of meeting ever came up. But somehow we ended up being in each other's vicinity and with some spare time on our hands.

So we met up in a neutral place (because even if you think you know someone well, it pays to take care!), had something to drink, walked around town, had some dinner, talked a lot, and each went our separate ways once more!
    On the whole, we didn't even talk all that much about GLBT issues (we had done those to death online anyways :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), and more about hobbies and life in general.

I will say this: it was always slightly weird discovering the person behind the persona. There's always mannerisms you didn't imagine, or things you knew about the other person, but didn't. But all in all, it was pretty much like hanging out with old friends, catching up.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I may have. I was chatting to a guy who lived in the same suburb as me! So I probably have met him and not realised it!

6. Rexmond

Nope, and I doubt I will.

7. timo

EC doesn't have many Dutch members so I assume I haven't. I'd be very surprised if any of the gay/lesbian people I know are on here.

8. Nope. At least, not to my knowledge...

9. Ben

Ben

I've met with five EC members who I can think of, from England, America and Australia!

10. There are a select few that I would quite like to meet, but I'd be unsure about it anyway. I'm quite happy with my relationship with EC now, wouldn't really want it to change and become a place to meet people.

11. BornInTexas

I have not met someone from EC at all. Would love to, though. Everyone here is so nice.

12. worriedWardrobe

I haven't had the pleasure :slight_smile:

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, although I came close to doing so once. I kinda forgot when I visited Seattle.

14. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope never met anyone from EC ...
    But I did meet a member from another forum for lunch one time.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I know there's a few here from Melbourne, and I went to pride earlier this year.. could've ran into one and not have even noticed. But, no.

16. Ticklish Fish

lol. I met one person.

BUT I HAVENT MET ANY GAMERS YET. CAN I MEET SOMEONE IN REAL LIFE AND TALK ABOUT SEXIEST POKEMON TRAINERS

no really guys, I am more surprised from reading people who didn't even know each other are in EC. what is this? internet is small

17. IrishEyes1989

Nope, I haven't met anyone from the forum in real life. One of my best friends (in real life) was the person who introduced me to EC, but since you said that didn't count, then no lol.

An LGBT book club, eh? That sounds like fun! :grin: I think I'd be mortified to see any of my professors in that capacity, but I'm glad you were able to laugh it off with yours :wink:

18. FJ Cruiser

I'm Facebook friends with a few, but not yet.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few people on here attend the same college that I do. So, I've met them at my college's pride group.

20. theMaverick