1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you react?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sayu, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Sayu

Okay, so we were in a school cafeteria yesterday and my friend (female) was talking about some guy from TV and how handsome he was. Well, I told her that I don't find him handsome and we were "fighting" over it (not really fighting, because we're friends, but I can't find a proper word). Anyway, she then asked the lunch lady what she thought about him and she said something (I don't remember what) and then added "... but at least you know you're healthy, because you like boys." Now that hurt me :icon_sad: I didn't realise that in that moment, but when I think of it now, I feel hurt.

I didn't say anything, because I'm not that out and I'm okay with people thinking I'm gay, because I fit the stereotype very much, but I don't like the idea of people thinking I'm sick or what. This lunch lady, I don't think she's homophobic, I mean, she's friendly with me, we often laugh, but it really gets to me how uneducated some people are.

What do you do in situations like this? Do you say something to defend yourself? I usually do, but I didn't this time, because I don't want to "confirm" I'm into girls to everyone until I'm completely out to my family.

2. JPC

JPC Guest

It probably would be better if we all said something when we hear comments like these, because it is definitely down to ignorance and a lack of education on homosexuality. Having said that, I tend to just ignore it. Some people will always be ignorant and I don't really see the point in wasting time trying to convince them that they're wrong when it will likely fall on deaf ears.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't worry about it :slight_smile:

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I like to have a new come back ready to go for these types of people.

"and blind hate is totally healthy."

5. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Ignore it and move on. Best way to kill 'arguments' like this. :slight_smile:

6. GlamKat

Just leave it, some people are like that, but defending yourself might start an argument depending on the person. Since you said the lunch lady was often nice to you, I'd doubt that she would continue an argument, but if you ran into someone really homophobic then it just might, and it's better to just avoid those situations :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a doormat. I let people say whatever they want...

8. Formality

Was she fat? If she was I would say (to my friend) something like "And at least you know you are healthy, because you don't look like blue whale" then throw an eye at the lunch lady, and walk away.

9. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :roflmao: funniest thing ive read/seen/heard all morning

If i was out id say something but im not so id do nothing

10. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would probably stay silent. I don't need anymore people hating me. lol

11. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I wouldve gotten into a massive argument about how homosexuality was as normal and beautiful as heterosexuality! She wouldve gotten a stern talking to from me! :grin:

12. LoveMusicPoetry

I can see how that would upset you. You've got two choices as far as I see it, 1, Forget about it and move on, or 2. If it's really upset you and you value this individual's regard and opinion, have a quiet word with her. If she's a decent person then she'll acknowledge and say sorry, if she reacts differently then she's not worth you worrying over.

13. Beware Of You

I would just ignore it.

The only time I will answer back if someone being incredibly homophobic to my face like the time I was told "Fa***ts like you should be taken away and fixed" .

i don't think your dinner lady was intending to be hurtful, if you are deeply upset by it tell her about yourself, if she is a good person then maybe she will apologise. Far too many people will not understand homosexuality because their only exposure is through media stereotypes and they do not know a real LGBT person.

14. CHML

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You just find the state of mind in yourself where comments like that don't get to you. It's a constant battle and it will never end if we take these things and let them touch us.
    I am not in that state yet but I hope someday I can be.