1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to androgynous/masculine girls

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fuzzywuzzy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. fuzzywuzzy

Today I encountered a lesbian couple in the bus. It made me happy that they express their love freely, and nobody seemed to have a problem with it. But that's not what actually troubled me. One of the girls was really easy to get mistaken for a boy. Then a thought popped in my mind. How would a masculine/androgynous girl feel if someone accidently mistakes them for a guy? Mistaking someone's gender would make me feel very awkward.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on their gender identity.

If their gender identity is completely female, they'll probably get annoyed.

If their gender identity is male, they'd be happy.

If their gender identity is somewhere in between, they may or may not be happy.

3. Aielar

I'd be perfectly fine with it (I fit more into the androgynous category) if someone called me a boy, especially on days where I'm trying to pass as one. I feel that if I reacted in a not so happy way, it sends the message that identifying/being male is bad/undesirable and I think that doesn't help progress gender equality.

4. Dalmatian

I knew a girl who was once sent to a boy's locker room by a professor. I don't know how she felt about it, although she was in her own world and it wouldn't surprise me if she had no clue as to what happened. An idiot professor, though.

5. Punk Cowgirl

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What Ettina said is exactly right. Personally, I actually like it when people call me "sir" rather than "ma'am" or "miss". But I know when I thought my gender identity completely female, I'd still get mistaken for a boy quite a bit. It kind of annoyed me if it was coming from someone who should probably know better, but as long as they didn't insist I was a boy even when I told them I wasn't, it didn't bother me that much. Really old people calling me a boy didn't bother me at all, since most of the time they couldn't hear or see well enough to know. (Even my own great grandpa thinks I haven't gone to see him at all in a year, and he's got a new great grandson. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

On the other hand, my brother gets mistaken for a girl a lot, and it really pisses him off. So I guess there's probably people like that too, who really don't like being mistaken for the other gender.......It depends on the person.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

It doesn't embarrass me but it bothers me. There are some expectations in our society of how women should look and if someone doesn't look that way, we may get mistaken for being a man.

7. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to have short hair etc. On many occasions I got mistaken as a boy, and it actually made me feel quite hurt and upset inside:/

8. SleeplessS

I get mistaken all the time, it's irritating...really..just because I wear jeans and my hair is short doesn't mean I don't have boobs right? lol ^_^ I still can't understand why ppl mistake me..

9. Kay

Kay Guest

I am Third Gendered and it does not bother me to be seen as a woman or a man. What is a problem is that society has confined us to gender specifics. It has made roles because people seem to think it is easier. I believe gender is as we think and of mind it matters not what the body is. Mine is considered female and i am content with my body. I have no desire to change it. I also don't care if people think I am male either. Gender in my mind for myself is meaningless. I am though Gynesexual/romantic and only attracted romantically and sexually to the female nature and body. I also require a deep relationship before I can even get close to being sexually active. hugs

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can take a look at this other thread from before to see many people's experiences being mistaken for the other gender and how they felt about it.

Being mistaken for the other gender

For me, as I wrote in a long post in that thread, I have had quite a few experiences being mistaken for a guy. I'm a big tomboy—always have been, so it's sometimes understandable why people might think I'm a guy. In terms of how it makes me feel, it does bother me. If I'm all alone and not around anyone I know and I get mistaken for a guy, then I feel embarrassed and self-conscious. If I get called a guy in front of family/friends, then it's really, really uncomfortable, even more embarrassing, and it makes me want to just crawl away and hide. I don't like being feminine, and I portray myself in quite a masculine manner, but it doesn't mean I want to be mistaken for a guy. Especially now, my facial features have become more feminine than when I was a kid, so it annoying when in rare instances, people still mistake my gender.

#10 musikk021, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  11. Sahale

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes it's embarrassing, if I'm around my family or people who I'm not really out to. It makes me a little self-conscious, but I'm not going to change anything about myself, so I guess I just live with it. I'm confident in my gender identity (as a cis-woman), so I try not to let it get to me.
    It usually only happens when someone is looking at me from behind or if I'm geared up (skiing, etc), because my boobs are big enough to make it clear that I'm a chick, haha.
    It's usually more embarrassing for the other person, actually.

12. DoctorJones

Frankly, I never really cared. I would definitely be considered masculine and a bit of a cross dresser. When I am in my uniform, people always call me 'sir'. A lot of times its fun to mess with the new recruits, mostly just because I can, but other than that, it's kind of a running joke.

13. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

one of my friends say all lesbians look like guys I have seen girly lesbians too !

14. Sayu

I get mistaken for a boy quite a lot and it is awkward, but I sometimes play on :grin: The most embarrassing thing is when you have to talk to those people and in that case also explain that you are in fact a girl. I hate that. But I generally take it as a compliment when someone mistakes me for a boy :slight_smile:

I feel like Sahale said she felt - when I'm around my family, I feel really embarrassed when someone calls me a boy.

But otherwise, not really. My friends/classmates actually call me a boy and I like it :grin:

#14 Sayu, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  15. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I love it! It happens all the time and I absolutely love it! :slight_smile:

16. charlieswife

i have been looked at funny in the ladies bathroom, and been called son plenty,had kids say loudly mummy is that a girl or a boy.. doesnt bother me,i find it quite amusing when it happens..and sometimes(obviously in the appropriate scenario)n do have to point out that i don't think boys have quite such large breasts! :slight_smile:

17. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, someone mistook me for a guy the other day and I was super excited because it means I can successfully genderbend :slight_smile:

18. Naren

I get mistaken for a guy every day. It gets pretty tiresome. :wink:

19. volvo6x

I find it amusing when they asked, or mistook me for male. It bothers me when they start saying sorry frenetically and I would have to say "It's alright". It is even more amusing when they give reasons for their misjudgment.
    It is interesting that it take people some thinking to find out about other's gender. It just showed how gender matters so much in interaction in daily life and it is like we are wired to have to make gender-based cognition. <I'm really shooting for a non-binary society here>.

#19 volvo6x, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  20. EyesNeverLie

My girlfriend who dresses like a guy and has short hair, gets mistaken for a guy all the time. Especially when it's an elderly person. It doesn't bother her at all, she just laughs it off. It doesn't bother me as well, I usually go on with the joke referring her as my boyfriend. Haha.