1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Pride like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Apparently I might be going to my first one in July but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping to go with some friends which I will have made by then.

I have Been going to a support place that has been helping me with my confidence and come out my shell. I think I might be going to a lgbt social group soon and hopefully the friends I make they I will be able to go to pride with.

I really wanna go but it's just a bit daunting. I'll be worried about a lot if things, homophobes being the main thing.

So... What is pride like? What happens? What happened to you the first time you went? What did u do? Etc etc

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First things first: pride is the absence of shame. Once that is gone, your fears of participating in the parade should also subside...

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to go to one too [​IMG]

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come to the one in Montreal in August! (shameless plug)

5. Femmeme

I think it depends on where you are. Here (medium-ish town in the southern US) it's like a street fair with carnival foods and sprinklers and a stage for music and there are happy children and couples and drag queens EVERYWHERE! It's glorious! I've only been in the daytime which is super family friendly, I think it gets a bit rowdier and racier at night.

6. Xochipilli

I've been wondering the same. Planning on going to the one in Chicago this summer.
    What will my eyes see? :love:

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like a plan Lol

Are all Gay Prides the same day?

or different Months [​IMG]

8. wowiemio

I wish i can attend one

9. Sapphy

I've been to Liverpool Pride for the past few years and it's fabulous! Here it's basically a massive street party which spans across part of the city. The clubs and bars open early so there's lots of music, drinks flowing, everyone smiling and dancing, it's such a great day.

Definitely try to go to one, let go of your inhibitions and doubts, dance the day (and night) away and have the time of your life! You should come to Liverpool this year, we have a Superhero theme! :grin:

10. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to go (!)

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Before going to my first Pride, I'd always feared going...but at the same really time wanted to go (if that makes sense LOL) A couple years ago I finally decided "I'm going to do this". First pride I went to was in Denver CO. I really didn't know what to expect (I'd only seen pictures from the parade in the news). I skipped the parade & just went to the festival itself...
    Once I arrived there and saw the crowds (there were tons of people in the park & surrounding streets where it was held) ... basically right away any remaining fear/uncomfort I had just faded away / I actually felt totally comfortable being there :slight_smile:
    Overall it was pretty cool to attend :sunglasses:

Later that year I went to my 2nd Pride (in Boulder CO), I had some idea of what to expect that time... that one was on a much smaller scale than the other so it had a different overall feel.

---
    I went to both those city's Prides again last year :slight_smile:

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  13. castle walls

Same here. I'd love to go to a big pride event like the ones they have in Portland, San Francisco, or even LA. For me distance isn't a problem, it is finding someone that would like to go too. Hopefully, I can talk a friend or two into it this year. If anyone has been to a big pride event in a US city, please share your experiences

14. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Another thing to do (and what I did for my 1st view of pride besides the little clips on the news)... go search YouTube for: "Gay Pride" or "Pridefest" and your city's name (or for those outside city limits like me, pick some of the nearby cities)

15. mattay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to go but, alas, I don't have anybody to go with. :frowning2: It sounds like a lot of fun though.

16. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to my 1st pride alone, which was one thing I was uncomfortable about...before I went. Didn't bother me at all once I was there. The other times I've gone I went alone as well. Don't let that one thing stop you.

The one I went to in Denver they say is 4th largest in the US
    I'd post links to a couple YouTube vids, but I don't believe that is allowed here...

17. hkboy93

I want to try going to one, but it will be essentially social suicide for me.

18. PinkFluff

Hopefully yours will be better than Dunedins. All there was was a pie stand, 2 lesbian group sign ups and the shittiest bands playing.
    So I went to the mall and bought a Gorgoroth album, because at least I'll enjoy that.

19. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is it bad that I don't really want to go to one? I'm not really into festivals and parades, but it's mostly because I'm agoraphobic. I just feel bad because it feels like I'm not supporting the cause...

20. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

I keep saying to myself "this year I'll go" and keep missing it... Always something comes up on the day of the big parade. Dammit!