1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by orangeyskies, Apr 10, 2013.

1. orangeyskies

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wondering lately what makes me lesbian- whether it's some kind of chemical (perhaps too much testosterone?) or if it's just something less complicated.

What do you all think causes homosexuality, or bisexuality, or being trans? I feel like it's natural. I also feel like it shouldn't matter that much how we got this way, but that we are now and it should be acceptable, you know? :thumbsup:

2. BornInTexas

Something to do with the brain and when we were in our mother's wombs. Read that on a science website.

3. MixedNutz

I think it def has majorly to do with genetic makeup, but I would also say environment has something even if slight, to do with being LGBT.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My guess is that I'm asexual because some part of my brain that would normally activate to generate a sexual response simply doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure it's neurological, not hormonal, because I look plenty feminine and have regular periods.

Hmm, maybe I don't have receptors for some sex hormone in my brain?

5. DoctorJones

I'm fairly certain it has a lot to do with brain chemistry and neurology.

6. Phenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personally, I'm just full of too much awesomeness NOT to be a lesbian.

Okay..so really I don't know. I definitely thing brain chemistry as well as genetics plays a part in it.

7. JPC

JPC Guest

I'm gay because of the liberal media :lol:

But seriously, I'm pretty sure it's something to do with genes or hormones or something scientific. I definitely wasn't brought up in an environment that could have lead me to being gay so I'm pretty sure it's nature rather than nurture.

8. Tlarkul

I think there is a theory going around that involves epigenetics (based on my understanding, it's the interpretation of DNA rather than about what's in the DNA itself; National Geographic had an interesting article on epigenetics and how it works in their January 2012 issue).

9. Hexagon

Too much testosterone in a heterosexual girl just makes her horny for guys. As far as I know, sexuality is caused by epigenetics, which has to do with gene expression. I don't know much more than that though.

As for transgendered people, that is thought to be caused by (in XX fetuses) too much testosterone at the 6-8 week phase of pregnancy, and too much Oestrogen in XY fetuses.