1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my best friend how I feel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by somegirl, Apr 11, 2013.

1. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like one of my closest friends (a girl). We've been through a lot together, and she's helped me through the toughest of stuff these last few months. I don't want to lose her, but it's hurting me too much for me to carry on without her knowing. I don't really know how to tell her. She knows I'm gay, and she's totally cool with it. She knows there's a girl I like, and she's advised me to tell her. So, how do I tell her it is her?? Please help

2. nonotreally

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You need to accept that telling her may change things. That's why I never told my friend about my feelings. It just depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take. Sorry this isn't much help. Every situation is different so it's really up to you.

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like your friend is a kind person, so I'd suggest telling her your feelings. Just make sure you don't make it sexual or be demanding. Just explain that you care about her so much, that she makes you happy. Explain that you understand that she may not be capable of feeling the same, because of her sexuality or just because a lack of chemistry. Just let her know you want closure, and that you still want to be friends with her.

If talking to her is too difficult, write her a letter instead, and ask her to read it later when she's alone. Give her time to digest the information, maybe talk to her the next day in private. Make it clear you're not going to be weird around her, or do anything you know she wouldn't want.

I went through the same thing as you, I met a guy and had a really powerful friendship which eventually turned into romantic feelings. I told him via a letter after a few months, and it turned out he didn't feel the same. We remained good friends however, in fact we became closer. He was really great about it, really kind. All of that happened several months ago, and we're still friends.

4. LD579

Unfortunately, you'll have to be prepared for her not feeling the same way. With that said, your goal may be some form of closure for yourself and this crush. Just be honest and open with her, and allow her a form of escape if she needs it (a coffee shop, for example) so that she can absorb / process it.

Things don't have to change between you two... But they might. Let her know that you don't want things to change between you two, and let her know that you really still want to be the best of friends. This could be a decisive step in moving forward and 'ending' the crush on this girl... Good luck, and let us know how things progress, if you'd like =)

5. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankyouuu everyone:slight_smile: im gunna tell her in a letter. But withhout any of your help I wouldn't have got THW confidence so thanks x