1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Anxious Thought

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4ever Hearth, Apr 12, 2013.

1. 4ever Hearth

Not going to make this long because I don't feel like it, so i'm gonna jump into the point. I was talking with a "friend" today. And he randomly says to me "A Black Man and a White Man walk into a store. Have you noticed that everyone just stares at the Black man but they'll say hello and good day to the White man. I just don't get that shit." Mind you, my "friend" is white. After he said it, he rambled on about how diverse his friends are. So I told another friend and he laughed it off but was like "He is such a secret racist man." The look on his face was more like, smh rather than lol.

Personally, I didn't take offense to it because I didn't pay it much attention and he didn't seem to be malicious about it, in my eyes, though it surely wasn't the only time he made "Black and White" comments. Keep in mind, my "friend" is young. So I don't know if it stemmed from a "I don't know any better aka Ignorance" stance or "I really don't care because it doesn't affect me aka Malicious" stance. Also, I do know that I have been under alot of stress at home and it could be seeping into this. I didn't take note of this until my friend said what he said. But, I also know that I have a bad tendency not to stand up for myself and allow things to slide by without a second thought just to "keep the peace." So i'm like uber-confused and idk if I should feel some way about it or not.

Anyways, I wanted to ask two questions.

One: Have you ever been in a predicament like this?....One where you weren't sure you had the right to be upset?
    Two: In your perspective, what qualifies as Malicious-Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, etc?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds to me like he was making an observation, not a racist remark, to make a racist remark you have to be a racist, this guy can't be your friend & a racist at the same time, that would be a contradiction in terms, if I hated Aborigine's & made racist remarks about them, I would not then be friends with a Aborigine Guy, a racist would not occupy the same airspace with the person he was racist towards, he would not speak to that person or help that person if he saw them in trouble, let alone be their friend, now that is a malicious racist!

3. Hexagon

I don't really think commenting on differences between how people interact with people of different races can be considered racist. I mean, he thinks its a bad thing that people are treated differently, right?

4. LD579

It sounded like it was just a comment / observation, as Dublin Boy said. If anything, it just shows that he's aware that racism can still be prevalent even in urban places today. It doesn't mean he's racist at all.

It'd be like me saying, "Straight guys are more accepted than gay guys. What's up with that?" Of course, I'm gay. And of course (Hopefully it's obvious), I'm not heterophobic (Whoa, never thought I'd say that).

5. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree it doesnt sound malicious. It sounds to me like an observation. If he said stuff like that multiple times around me, Id try to start a conversation with him about it. Maybe hes interested in race and racism and all that stuff. The talking about his diverse set of friends seems like hes trying to prove something to you, maybe he wants you to see hes a chill white guy. Unless there was something in the way he said it that you noticed, I wouldnt assume racism.

Malicious is something I think Id immediately know. The way its said, the energy behind it. It sounds like this "friend" (why the quotes?) is curious and making an observation to you. Isnt it a good thing for white people to notice racist situations?

6. sanguine

I come across situations like this all the time, people might not think its racist but it is, its prejudice.

One of my friends always loves to create black characters in RPGs even though hes white, he gives them ridiculous black names, he doesnt realise what hes doing is perpetuating the fact that being black is a joke and is something funny with many other stereotypes.

And when your friend makes jokes about a black and a a white man walking in together etc etc, hes also perpetuating that being black is also a joke, a being that is far less superior than his counter part, and its not funny.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    His friend didn't make a joke, it wasn't a English Man, Irish Man & a Scotsman walk into a bar, type of situation :eusa_doh:

It was a observation, read what 4ever Hearth actually said, his friend was questioning why when a black guy & a white guy walked into the store together, the White Guy got treated better, the guy was making a observation as a outsider, he wasn't agreeing with their behavior!

8. sanguine

^ hmmmm, yea you're right

9. 4ever Hearth

I messed up. I should've added more info.

It wasn't just the observation that I stated above that made me take a second look. The kid speaks in a very "Black and White" manner which threw me for a loop when I thought about it. Besides that, he is a cool dude. I had just met him that day and we hit it off. We spent most of our time laughing and joking about dumb stuff but it was like anytime race, particularly mine came into the conversation, he would drag on about it. I will also admit that I just might not be used to someone speaking so openly about their opinion of it especially a white kid.

There was a few instances where he did take it too far. When our co-worker was on the phone speaking about an incident involving a car, he starts pretending he's "ghost-riding" then tilts his hat to the side and an older white customer passed behind him and me and our co-worker was chuckling alittle before he, "friend", noticed. Once he saw, he goes "He's probably thinking "Oh god, he's acting black. Jet Black. Ya know?" Me and the co-worker just looked at eachother and brushed it off since it was like "Huh?.." Personally, the manner in which he was playing was/is referred to as being a "hoodlum" or "hoodrat" and saying "acting Black" or "acting White" never lived in the circles I associated with, mainly because we were mature and understood better.

Another instance was when we were cleaning off equipment and the boss(his mother who has been nothing short of amazing since I started, both as a boss and a person) asked him not to rush into the next task and he replies "Why not?, I got me a personal worker over here." referring to me. Now that might be a little immature for me to take that to heart but I didn't appreciate the comment itself, not for historical purposes either but mainly because i'm his co-worker and it was very much inappropriate.

Another instance was when we were talking about how he went somewhere and saw a large woman in small clothing. Now what got me about this was his constant need to say "i'm not racist or anything but"(since the woman he was referring to was Black) even though after he made his observation(stated above) and rambled about that I told him he has nothing to prove to me. So as we're walking he goes "You know i'm not racist. I remember this time when I worked at this store. There was this black woman there, with the body of a goddess. Man, had I been drunk, I would've tore that up." Now growing up in a household of black woman and having nieces, comments like these get under my skin alittle. Honestly, I can't stand hanging around my male cousins at times because of it. But when he said it, it didn't make me mad. It just made me feel so freaking akward and uncomfortable.

Another instance, we were speaking about liquor and I told him I wanted to get my hands on some tequila. Mexican Tequila to be exact. So first he jokingly suggests Mexico. Then he suggests Texas but then goes on and says "But you might get shot(Which may or may not be true, idk)." Then he rambles on about how there is still that "Confederacy Mentality" down there(though I have learned from unfortunate experience that it isn't only in the South) and how he feels it is such bull and they need to get over it. But barely ten seconds later, he goes on and calls himself a "Redneck." So i'm like "WTF!!" I didn't know how to take that. If anything, this one just added to my overall confusion.

Overall, He's a cool dude. Only when race, somehow came into our conversations, would I really just feel like distancing myself from him but once the moment was over, he would call me over to him and say something hilarious. Then we'd be chuckling like two boys watching t.v as the boss shot him "the evil eye." He's young, a year younger than myself though I am quite "aware" for my age, and he's a "livin on a prayer"(by that I mean moderately impulsive) kind of guy. So don't get me wrong, my intent is not to demonize him. Truthfully, though I shouldn't, I am looking for validation in my feelings. Or atleast to see that since I am having troubles elsewhere, that I might be over-reacting.

Now that I think about it, I should've stated the question differently. I should've asked "How do you have a conversation with someone about the manner in which they're doing something that makes you extremely uncomfortable?" but I suck at "peaceful" confrontation. If i'm not fighting(which I also despise but do to an overload of ignorance in others, I do it when I have to) I have no interest in attempting to speak when it may just turn into a shouting match in which i'll be made to look like the bad guy or the "wimp" because I took some "playful" words to heart. Seems very much redundant. So yeah, here's my issue.

#9 4ever Hearth, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  10. charlieswife

you need to just sit him down and tell him what bothers you about the things he says,and why it bothers you.just be honest :slight_smile:

11. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured there was probably more to it, how he said it or something, that would have made you uncomfortable about what he said.

Since it doesnt sound like you're wanting to get into some heavy conversation about race with him, since it has the potential to blow up into something its not like, you said, maybe you should approach it with dismissive humor. He says something about race that you dont feel like talking about or that makes you uncomfortable, jokingly say (with like over the top put on attitude), "Whys it always got to be about race?" and move on with something else.

Or you could be like, "I know you're cool man, but you have to watch yourself. Someone might overhear or see that doesnt get the joke, and as you know some people take race real seriously. I wouldnt want to see anyone calling you out for how you act so you might want to take it down a bit." So like its not you that has the issue, but you're just looking out for him in the broader world (or the professional world since hes a co-worker too, right?).

Maybe that will get a subtle point that you dont want to talk about race and whether or not hes racist, but you also dont want to be an ass to him about it. But if being subtle doesnt work, and it really does bother you, you should think about how to approach him in a more blunt and open way. But yeah, maybe get ready for him to be real defensive about why he acts and says what he does.

12. Naren

Dis Dublin Boy is a correct.