1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when you think you know who your friends are

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Acobi, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Acobi

Acobi Guest

This is quoted from someone I was friends with on Facebook:

"Early Morning Rant: I'm really sick of hearing about the Boy Scouts and how terrible they are for not supporting gay kids. This is the United States; organizations are allowed to have their own beliefs and views of the world. I wouldn't want to live in this country if I wasn't allowed to express my thoughts and beliefs. If I have that right, then so should the Boy Scouts.

So what. They don't like gay kids. The same can be said for so many different people, groups, organizations, and country's all around the world.

You can't shelter gay kids from the fact that they will be confronted with hate their entire lives. Instead of wasting time on trying to change Boy Scouts (which seems illegal and unconstitutional to me), we should focus on supporting the LGBTQ community in different ways. Like maybe making Pride festivals LESS SLUTTY AND SCARY, and pushing for homosexual rights in our government. Leave Boy Scouts alone. They do a lot of great stuff too. And leave Chik Fil A alone too. They may hate gays, but their chicken is too good to pass up."

What is also horrible is this post got 48 likes and multiple comments praising him. What is wrong with the world?! :bang:I can not even believe how many things are messed up in this post. I can't believe someone really be this stuck up or ignorant! There is all kinds of wrong here.

#1 Acobi, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  2. IrishEyes1989

Wow...*SMH*

I'm glad you're not friends with that person anymore. It's unimaginably frustrating that there are so many people like that in this world. Oh well, one day bigotry will no longer be acceptable. When that day comes, ignorant, hateful people will no longer be allowed to keep discrimination alive in our society.

3. Stoical

Let's support the LBGTQ community by make Pride festivals "less slutty and scary?" I somehow suspect it's not the LBGTQ community that finds Pride festivals scary... :dry:

4. The Dude

The first paragraph wasn't all bad...made some points to consider while being mostly respectful. The wording wasn't great but whatever.

After that it goes really ridiculous and offensive. The points aren't necessarily invalid, but the approach and logic was absolutely miserable. Maybe the scouts do have a right to deny whoever they want. But then bashing the gay community in the way they did. What a jerk he/she is. I've deleted so many people from high school for crap like this...insensitive comments about something they know nothing about, and other people eating it up. I'm glad you're no longer friends with that trash.

5. Femmeme

I'd like to take a moment to point out how illogical it is to say "boy scouts and chik fil a have a right to express their opinions" while telling the LGBT and Ally community to stop expressing ours.

Ok, if they have a right to be homophobic and announce to the world, we certainly have the right to denounce them for it. It works both ways.

6. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taken from Wikipedia article on boyscouts: The BSA goal is to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through participation in a wide range of outdoor activities, educational programs, and, at older age levels, career-oriented programs in partnership with community organizations. For younger members, the Scout method is part of the program to inculcate typical Scouting values such as trustworthiness, good citizenship, and outdoors skills, through a variety of activities such as camping, aquatics, and hiking.
    --------
    I fail to see how "der 'merican rights" in discriminating against GLBT kids helps in any of their stated goals. It really only teaches inequality and homophobia to those deemed worthy of being allowed in; which if you think about it kinda defeats the purpose of scouts entirely.

So...promoting discrimination and hate is ok because "other people do it"?
    [​IMG]

Well, clearly believing in discrimination and segregation seems to have worked wonders for this fine 'merican. I'm sure the scouts would just love to have someone like that as a teacher of trustworthiness and good citizenship to other privileged children. Cause, you know, good morals are only worthy for straight kids. The only thing I see here is this moron and 48 other indoctrinated fools helping to support is the closets we're trapped in.

7. When you're minding your own business on your way to the book store and turn the corner to find the gay pride parade you forgot was happening coming straight at you, it can be a tad scary! Well...more surprising.

What's scary is walking out of a music shop and finding 200 people shambling up the street dressed as zombies in the middle of April, also slowly making their way for you. Um...I live in a weird city.

But on topic, that quote is one of the worst things I've ever read. Sorry you have to deal with that person.

8. BornInTexas

9. Hexagon

Sometimes, people forget that freedom of speech includes freedom to answer.

It would be wrong for a government to force a non-government institution to stop saying what its saying, or to marry people it doesn't like, or to accept people it doesn't like into its organisation. However, a person is not trying to censor/control the actions of an organisation they don't like, and they are perfectly entitled to present their opinion, avoid said organisation, to encourage others to do the same, and engage in discussion about whether a certain behaviour is ethical. Its all freedom of speech.

In other words, you can tell me you hate me, and I can tell you to go fuck yourself. Its all part of freedom of speech.

10. Stoical

I can just imagine.

"Ohmigod, it was just awful! There were rainbows EVERYWHERE!"

^_^

11. BornInTexas

:roflmao:

12. Yui

Yui

Regarding the first few sentences:

Yes, you can have your own opinion and beliefs and act accordingly as long as no one gets hurt in any way because of it. The moment someone gets hurt because of your opinion/beliefs acting accordingly/expressing them stops being okay/your right.

In someones opinion their neighbor maybe stupid and deserves to die because he's gay so that person kills his neighbor and says 'Well, I was just acting accordingly to my beliefs.". Was it his right to do so? Hell no! He's going to prison, end of story.
    (That's an extreme example, of course.)

The rest is crap anyway... :bang:

13. :roflmao: Hit the nail on the head!

14. Actually leading the pack was a group of Greyhounds in harley davidson outfits.

15. Dalmatian

Mh.. I won't go into the freedom of speech thing, because it's American specific legislation which I don't entirely understand.

But, the thing I find interesting and hopeful: it's funny that the society has come to a point when a person is called a bigot and trash for saying "we should focus on supporting the LGBTQ community in different ways. Like [...] pushing for homosexual rights in our government". You know, a decade or two ago someone saying "the right to have an opinion, whatever it is, should be preserved; gay prides can have a negative impact on the image of the community; gay rights have to be gradually built up" - that person would be considered very forward. It's nice to see how much has changed, right? I mean, it changes desperately slow, but it's getting better..

I know I picked just the positive highlights of the quoted text and I know that most of you are commenting on other parts. I just want to point out that there is confusion in that comment, but confusion of the kind that's evolving towards the better. That's not to say that I think I agree with what the guy says, of course.