1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing clip from 40 year old sitcom portrays openly gay athlete

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, someone just sent me this link to a sitcom that was on in the early 70s. It was called "All in the Family" and revolved around Archie Bunker, a bigoted blue-collar worker and his family.

In this clip, Archie discovers his long-time (and very masculine) friend is gay. This show was famous for covering controversial subjects, but I had no idea they'd addressed LGBT issues. Worth watching.

Which Classic American TV Show Totally Predicted This Gay News 42 Years Ago?

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll have to watch that later--tight schedule right now.

All in the Family is well worth watching. I find it can be hilarious, and some of the material covered then is still so relevant today. It's on DVD, and my library has at least a couple of seasons.

A Wikipedia page on this show: All in the Family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. BornInTexas

I've seen that episode! I was watching it with my dad, which made it awkward because he is sort of like Archie, but a little more ...set in his ways? I'm not sure, but I had sort of a shocked face when they surprised me with Gerry! xD

4. Hefiel

That was pretty hilarious. Especially the part with the masculine girl friend of Archie's daughter.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your dad is like Archie, but more set in his ways? Yikes!

6. asmith6543

was he really openly gay if the guy never said anything for 12 years to the other guy about girls? (or was that mentioned, and I just missed it) sorry im studying for the MCAT and I feel like this could be a verbal reasoning question.

thanks for posting the vid.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... he clearly wasn't prancing around the streets and shouting it from the rooftops, but for 1974 (or whatever year that was), answering honestly and not dodging the question was still pretty "out there."

8. IrishEyes1989

I loved All In the Family in high school :slight_smile: One of the classic American sitcoms. Archie and Edith and Meathead and Gloria, aww! Good times!

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came across another interesting 70s sitcom clip. It was from Maude, which was a spin off of All in the Family. She was originally a cousin of Edith Bunker.

In this episode, Maude's neighbor gets upset because there is a new gay bar in town.

What is depressing is so many issues then are still around. I swear, you could take this episode's script, and shoot it today, and 99% would still be current.

It's a little long (20 minutes roughly), but Maude was a show worth seeing... The actual visit to the gay bar starts at roughly 12:45 in Part 1, although some jokes are set up in the before then.

Part 1
    Part 2