1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chance events...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greatwhale, Apr 12, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

I've heard it said that "chance favours the prepared mind", well today was a "chancy" kind of day, especially this morning....

After driving the kids to school, I was stopped at a red light behind a few cars when my car was suddenly jolted to the left by some harassed father backing out of his driveway and who appeared to be doing the same thing I was, but a little too late.

I thought for sure I was going to have to deal with major damage to my car, but it turns out he clipped the plastic bumper and there was no apparent damage at all. Anyway he looked in a hurry and he said "you know where I live". So I left...

Later, after leaving the car for the wife and later waiting for the bus to get to work, I spotted those two guys who were holding hands in my neighbourhood (I had mentioned this in one of my recent threads: "Coming out is more than just telling"). They were holding hands again but this time I was right next to them as they passed by.

The first thing I noticed was that they noticed me noticing them. I felt that I knew exactly what they were feeling. From one of them, I spotted a kind of defiance in his eyes, as if he were ready to defend this overt action to anyone who would challenge them.

I wouldn't say they held hands lightly, more as if nothing could tear them apart. Being of a "prepared mind" for this kind of thing, I decided to follow them instead of taking the bus, we were all going in the direction of the same metro station nearby which was only a few stops away.

It was fascinating walking behind them, they both had almost matching backpacks, one of the two looked Hispanic or Arab, the other was White and slightly built. The street was quite crowded as many were either going to the metro or leaving it to go to a nearby school. Everywhere I looked, I noticed that they were noticed. One couple with their small child between them whispered. One older woman who was walking in the opposite direction passed by them and I noticed she was smiling. Some school kids made fun, but quietly, between themselves...

It was fascinating, adorable, and admirable. I wanted to say...something...but what? no doubt "more power to you brothers", with a fist raised, would have been absurdly embarrassing...but I really wanted to say something.

Most likely I will come across them again...what, if anything, should I say? Just want to be prepared...:help:

2. BornInTexas

If you know they're a couple, you could shout to them, "You guys look cute!" Or something along those lines. It'd be what I'd shout.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I figured you could say that...:lol: however, it just looks a little strange from a middle-aged guy like me...:dry:

4. BornInTexas

I was trying to imagine an older man saying that, and it's quite silly, sure. But then again, it would show that even people in the older generation have a nice heart! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Even though you're gay, too. Plus, imagine the example of tolerance you'd be setting. I'm not saying you have to shout to them, I'm just giving you hypotheticals. This may not necessarily happen anyway...xD

To put myself in the situation of one of the boyfriends, I'd be kind of happy that someone said that. It'd probably ease the tension that I might have or something.

5. Hefiel

I suppose you could praise them for being open and public about their relationship.

Something along the lines of "I think you guys are really amazing for showing your love publicly like that."

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That might work...and then I wonder if they speak French or English....Gaa! this city!!

7. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said:
    Congratulate then for what they have, wish them many more years of happiness

8. BornInTexas

xD

9. Hefiel

:roflmao:

I assume you at least speak French? I'd say the chances they speak French are pretty high even though Montreal has a decent English population.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I speak French fluently but we're in a mixed area (near the Oratoire), guess I'll go that route and see what happens...I was just so envious of those two, they are really brave...

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2013 at 05:09 PM ----------

I think you're right 'Texas, they might just appreciate it.... and coming from a "brother"...:icon_wink

11. BornInTexas

:lol: Gay dance party? (!)

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it so strange that your story slightly turned me on? I can seriously see myself in their position some day. :badgrin:

Anyway, I'd rather wait for them to speak first, then compliment them, either for their courage or something more superficial, ie you two make a nice couple. You could always show approval non-verbally: smiling, nodding, thumbs up, etc.

13. Hexagon

I think I would start by apologising for making them feel alienated, explain that wasn't your intention, and that you're gay too. And then say whatever you wanted to say, like that you commend their courage in being open about their relationship or something.

14. BornInTexas

What Hex, said.

15. Hefiel

I've actually never been to the Oratoire now that I think about it. Not that it interest me, though. And now after searching where the Oratoire was, I saw Jean-Talon and now I feel like paying a visit to the Marché Jean-Talon ... It's such a nice place to shop for food once in a while. There's a booth I stop by every time that sells those dried sausages, delicious. If only the weather wasn't such a :***:

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the gay dance party idea 'Texas (!)

We could all just sashay down to the metro together :grin:

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

I hear you! It's April for crying out loud! Snow? Really?

I love Jean-Talon Market, the food is fantastic!

17. JPC

JPC Guest

I always feel the same way. I see plenty of gay couples here walking arm in arm, just today I saw a lesbian couple walking with their arms around each and one was resting her head on the other's shoulder, it was so nice to see that nobody was batting an eyelid at it either, it was so normal and natural and really refreshing to see. It's so good to see people who are compfortable enough to do it that I can't help but stare and when they look and see me I always feel that they think that I'm judging them. I kind of just want to shout across the street "It's okay, I'm one of you!"

18. BornInTexas

OMG! I so want to scream that, now. xD

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, exactly! I guess I want to say something because I can't stand being thought of as part of all those others who are most probably judging (although, maybe the feelings stirred in me are also being felt by other unknown in-the-closet persons)...

20. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    just do what the lady did... smile and say good morning or afternoon depending on what time it is... i do that all the time.. if i cant be out like some bold people. ill appreciate those who are... and lil things like that make them feel good and know that we all aint haters