1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here play guitar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wired106, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Wired106

Hey guys I've been thinking about learning to play electric guitar for a while now because my brother used to play and i've always like the sound of it and listened to rock. But I was mainly wondering if it is really hard to learn how to play and if it takes a really long time, because I used to play violin for like 7 years but I stopped a few years ago and that took a while to learn. Also do you think it would be really neccessary to go to a ton of lessons all the time? or only some for the first few months? I'm thinking about getting a gibson for my birthday in june though because I want my own guitar once I get into it a lot and they have nice guitars and i've heard good things about gibsons. Anyways, please post any tips or things you think I might need to know :slight_smile: Thanks!

2. darkestknight

I don't think you will have a lot of problem since you have already a musical background, especially violin.

Try to go to those electric guitar forums like Harmony Central to get some opinions of what do you want to play.

Personally, you would have to go to a guitar store and talk to a shopkeeper and try play-test the guitar.

And, if you are practising, try to check around with the neighbourhood. You don't want to launch your neighbour out like in the Micheal Jackson's "Black and White" music video when you crank the gain too much up! :roflmao:

Btw, I have been playing the classical guitar for 7 years, and still playing it right now. I love to try the electric guitar too, but I don't have much time. The only thing I know on the electric guitar is some riffs of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" and some Lenny Kravitz. Haha... :grin:

3. CrimsonThunder

Gibsons fail. Jacksons are where its at bro.

Guitar is the hardest instrument to learn, lost of people stop trying when they find this out. However, stick it though and you will be the most coolest person on the block. :grin:

Heres my guitar/amp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jackson RX10D \m/

4. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just got an electric guitar this sunday. It was the first musical instrument I have ever played and for me at least it is difficult to play and takes a lot of practice to get even a simple riff. Obviously i can't say how long it will take for you to get good, but just be sure you understand it will be difficult to and it will probably take a long time to learn.

5. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother got a guitar last year, I was sorta teaching him how to play while learning along with him. I moved out shortly after so only got to know about 3 chords and he has since given up, I'll just nick his guitar next time I'm there and start learning again

6. Jeimuzu

Guitar is sexy. Gibson's are good, but they're pro level. You're best off getting something a bit lower. An entry level Jackson, like CT said, or Ibanez. Good places to start. Oddly enough, I've just been chatting to a guitarist called Robb - he plays Yngwie stuff, haha! - who has both. Says that although his Jackson cost more, his Ibanez is better.

He'd know, haha!

I play guitar, but I'm purely acoustic. I get quite a good sound, actually, not a typical one for guitar players though. I mess about with alternate techniques and end up sounding somewhere between Erik Mongrain and Antoine Dufour. :slight_smile:

7. smilealways

smilealways Guest

I tried to play the guitar, gave up few days later. lol Then moved on to the violin :slight_smile:
    Its so hard to hold. violin was not wide as guitar so i find it easier.

8. Wired106

Thanks for the comments guys. I really want to learn but I told my dad today and he thought I just thought about it now and told me think about it a little more and sorta thought i'd just like give up on it which sucks. My brother plays guitar so I think I'll just use his for now, he has an ibanez electric guitar and some acoustic guitar. I got a question though, do most people begin learning guitar on their own? or do they take a few lessons, because I know for violin at least I had to go to a lesson every week for the entire time I played (~7 years) even though I knew how to play but it was to get better, or do people that learn to play guitar just teach themselves and look stuff up online and yeah?

9. STK

STK Guest

I play the guitar, and I've played since 2nd grade. My guitar is a Gibson Epiphone.

10. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brother got a DVD with his guitar telling him how to play, I'm sure you'd be able to find something similar or maybe a website somewhere, and if not you should look into getting lessons

11. Jeimuzu

I started on bass, had one guy show me one tune, and then played around after that. You may want lessons for a little while though - I've never took the time to learn some of the more important stuff like specific chords and scales, which means I've got a really odd style of playing.

12. Mick

Mick Guest

I have been playing guitar for 9 years. I started off with a Les Paul copy. I have a B.C. Rich Platinum Series Warlock with DiMarzio pickups (Evolution 2 on the bridge and PAF Pro on the neck). DiMarzio makes the best pickups. I use D'Addario strings. D'Addario makes quality guitar strings.

13. Scaredboy728

There are definitely parts of learning guitar that are hard but just as there is for anything there are also parts that are easy

14. Thatsit

I also started out playing the violin from 4th grade to freshmen year in high school:eusa_booh, then I got kinda bored of it and decided to pick up an electric bass. It was easy for me to learn and I guess I would say that lessons are good for a few months.
    Then the next year I bought an Ibanez guitar and I taught myself how to play. I think you will be able to do it with practice.:thumbsup:

Most people take a few lessons when they start to learn guitar but I don't really like the idea of guitar lessons since a lot of it is reading tabs, which you can look up and learn on your own like I have.:music:

15. I have an acoustic Fender CD60, and I've played it for 3 years

16. BrettV

Been playing for 16 years. I'm a classic fender guy, but had my strat modded to be like david gilmours. I play on a fender blues junior w/ bad horsie wah and boss dd3. Beautiful.

17. Shevanel

Gilmour = <3

18. partietraumatic

I love my guitar. Its by a company called G&L. They're a brilliant company, though fairly hard to get hold of, their guitars aren't widely stocked in shops...well not in the UK anyway. People in the know say their guitars are of similar quality to Fenders, but at much cheaper prices.

19. BrettV

I've been playing for 16 years. Like the others, I'd recommend starting on something a bit cheaper than a real gibson.

Squire makes some great guitars, surprisingly .. and they're really cheap.

You can go out on your own and make your own sound, or try to emulate the bands that you enjoy listening to. It's really all up to you.

I'm a strat/tube marshall guy myself. Recently, I've been playing am strat w/ custom fender tube amp. Pretty nice combo. Go to guitar center and play, play, play!

20. jazzrawr

I've had a guitar in my house for about 7 years, but I've never actually played it.
    I should get to that...

I really want to play bass, though.