1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only gay person who doesn't like abortion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

My parents almost aborted me.
    So of course I don't like abortion.
    Does anyone else share my views?

2. Hefiel

I don't think anyone can say they "like" abortion, but I definitively see it as a "necessary evil". There are some people (often very young) who just aren't ready to be parents, or the boyfriend runs when he hears he got his girlfriend pregnant, etc and when I think about a child having to live in those conditions, I think abortion is a possibility that would be "better" for both parties involved.

Of course I'd much rather that schools put more emphasis on Sex Ed rather than just talking about abstinence, and having more teens and young adults going to the doctor to get an abortion because abstinence doesn't work as a form of education.

3. barca

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I don't like to speak on behalf of others, but I don't think most people "like" abortion.

For me, I don't like it, I just recognize the necessity for such a choice to exist in our society. It's not a good thing in itself, but there are situations out there where women need to have this choice.

I think sometimes people get too caught up in the two labels of "pro-life" and "pro-choice." These labels shouldn't imply "anti-life" and "anti-choice" for the opposing sides. People who oppose the legality of abortion aren't doing it because they're against choice. Just as those supporting the legality of abortion aren't doing it because they want death. We're all pro-life and pro-choice. It's just that we draw the line differently on the two things, and we have our own internal definitions on what choice and life is to us and how we prioritize the two.

I imagine you are not alone as a pro-life gay person, though.

4. FruitFly

Personally I am not a keen on the idea of abortion and should a situation arise where abortion may be a choice it is highly doubtful I'd be able to even consider it.

With that said I do believe it is something that women should have access to legally. I do not like the act of abortion, but I fully support women having legal access to it. I'm not sure I know many people, gay or otherwise, who actively like abortion, they just support the freedom to make a personal choice.

5. MetalAngel89

MetalAngel89 Guest

Honestly, growing up, I thought that I would have as many abortions as necessary to not end up with kids, but I was 16 when I got pregnant the first time and the second I realized it, I loved the kid so much already that I just didn't think abortion was for me. I have 2 beautiful daughters now and wouldn't give them up for the world!

If that's what you believe is right for you, and you feel like you can live with your decision, then that's all that matters. I don't believe it is the government's decision to say what's right or wrong for everybody.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well there are real steps that can be taken that could eliminate like 99% of the abortions. Comprehensive sex-ed for every student, easily available and affordable condoms and birth control, to prevent unplanned pregnancies.... along with strong social institutions, a healthy economy for all including the poor and working classes, and a vibrant welfare state so that a woman who has an unplanned pregnancy does not feel obliged to have an abortion out of fear of being unable to provide for the child so that (s)he can be raised in a stable, nurturing environment.

Unfortunately, all of those things are opposed by so-called "pro-life" Republicans, who instead think simply making abortion illegal is the answer rather than addressing the underlying issues of why women seek to get them. Making abortion illegal won't accomplish anything but make everything more dangerous.

I don't care much for the "pro-choice" side either though, which seems to have turned the entire issue of women's rights and gender equality in the 21st century into nothing but abortion, abortion, abortion. I just can't get on board with the idea that abortion is a "choice" to actually celebrate and be proud of, rather than a necessary evil that we should try to minimize as much as possible.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, unfortunately, you're not, and I have extreme hatred for the anti-abortion view.

8. JPC

JPC Guest

I really don't support abortion. But at the same time, who am I to tell somebody what they can and can't do with their own lives.

9. Caudex

Caudex Guest

OK…are you saying you dislike my existence, because my parents would have gotten an abortion had it been easily available to them?

10. Mogget

If my mom had an abortion I wouldn't be here. If she'd had a headache the night I was conceived, I also wouldn't be here. The thing is, if I were to die tomorrow, people would talk about what a waste of life, about all the lost opportunity... and they'd be wrong. If I died tomorrow all that would be lost is the nearly 24 years of life, experience, personality, and memory that I've developed. The future is uncertain, all that can be known is what has happened so far.

11. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, you're not.

I also don't, although that's true for probably most people.

12. StormySea

I don't support abortion after a woman's third term of pregnancy (because they should've had time to think it over before then anyway : p). However, the option of an abortion is beneficial to certain individuals- whether it be girls who are too young or not mature enough to be parents, people that aren't in a financial situation to raise or support a child (of course, they could always give up the child without killing it, but I guess it's the parents call), a genetic malfunction that will cause the child everlasting pain and suffering in life (if it would live), etc.

13. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Nope, you're not the only one. I realize that most people on this site are to the extreme left of the political spectrum, so not that I'd expect any answers to really be anti abortion.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, they didn't, so here we are. I find myself unimpressed by the anecdote. To reiterate, I stone cold hate the anti-abortion view. Not sure how I could have made it more clear.

15. Gen

Gen

Thats not a fair question. I dont know your life, and I wont pretend to. Though if I had a guess, based on the fact that we are discussing it right now, I am confident that it could have gone worse.

Abortion isnt marvelous. The child could be born and put up for adoption. I have a friend who was adopted. He family is ultimately better than mine... However, this is not at all the norm. Now I am not pro-abortion, I am pro-not-having-a-need-for-it. Pro-Contraception. Unfortunately, this isnt a ideal world and I would much rather tolerate abortion than bringing children into this world simply to suffer. Maybe you may not have suffered, and that is wonderful. Their are definitely exceptions that could have been tragic losses, but that doesnt every child would have done equally as well.

16. Eric

Does anybody really like abortion?

17. Mogget

Yes. Just like I like open-heart surgery and root canals. Even in an ideal world with perfect birth control there would still be occasional unwanted or medically dangerous pregnancies, and I'm glad that we have the technology to end them safely.

18. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess the obvious answer is that if you don't like abortion... then don't have one.

My mother ought to have aborted me for the sake of her health. I was her fourth child, she already had major cardiovascular problems then suffered a serious bout of rheumatic fever after giving birth to my brother and prior to falling pregnant with me. This exacerbated her existing health issues. I am obviously very grateful that she didn't have an abortion. She risked her life to give birth to me. That was her choice. Had she chosen differently I would never have known a thing, and who knows, she might have lived longer.

Do I like abortion ? No. I feel that there are many more effective and less drastic methods of birth control.

Do I oppose a woman's right to choose an abortion? Absolutely not. Not my body, not my right.

19. PinkFluff

If its late term, no fucking way. You have to decapitate the fetus to kill it off in that case.

If the reason was you were too lazy to use a condom, again, no way.

I like to punish lazy and stupid people.

20. Femmeme

Abortion is only proformed in the third trimester due to medical reasons, it's not something you can just decide to do. It's only used if the mother is in serious medical danger or the child wouldn't survive anyway and would suffer if brought to term. There's really no reason for anyone to have an opinion on late term abortion, it's not an optional thing and NO ONE wants to have one. It's something tragic that happens to prevent an even worse tragedy. It's really heartbreaking that it's gotten warped into a political tool.