1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in the Workplace

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lawRAWR, Apr 13, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

So, my Mum was telling one of my relatives about homophobia she witnessed where she works, in a hairdressing salon. There's a girl that my Mum works with, and she is a lesbian. Apparently, one of the co-workers (who is about 20 years old) said that the lesbian girl was "not a woman" in a jokey kind of banter way. I expect she was upset at this remark. Also, her boss makes passing comments about her sexuality.

I am surprised that still our generation make comments as such. I wasn't too surprised that the boss said something, he is about 55 years old, whereas the colleage is young.

I am worrying that equality is too far away.

:bang:

2. Hexagon

There are laws about workplace harassment, if it gets too bad.

3. lawRAWR

Yeah, I know, it's just that the attitudes are still there even with our younger generation.

4. Hexagon

But less of them. We're moving in the right direction. I know it sucks though :frowning2:

5. lawRAWR

Yeah (*hug*)

6. Rexmond

Probably just immaturity than downright disrespect intended. It's a shame though, and you should ask your mum if it's an occurring problem for her.

7. Sapphy

People seem to think that it's okay to say what they're thinking as long as it's disguised in humour or as "banter". It's not right at all, and definitely not okay.

I work for local government, so if anything is said to me, it can be taken very seriously. In an independent salon, it would be much harder. Poor girl :frowning2:

8. lawRAWR

She's a very optimistic person and she's leaving anyway soon to move onto a career she's always wanted to do. So I'm happy for her. She wouldn't let something like what's happened get her so down, she's strong minded :slight_smile:

9. BornInTexas

The immaturity. :frowning2: