1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you lie?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 13, 2013.

?

How well can you lie?

1. Very well, no one ever can tell I'm lying

32.2%
  2. Quite well

37.9%
  3. Average

16.1%
  4. Quite badly

8.0%
  5. Terrible, its perfectly obvious when I lie

5.7%
  1. Hexagon

Answer the poll. Don't answer based on whether you think its ethical, just based on your ability.

Personally, I can lie effortlessly. I've been able to since I could remember. It may be something to do with being trans, and having to conceal my true nature for so long, or it might just be something that has always come easily to me. I don't have a problem with lying to people who I don't know personally, or my family, who I don't trust or like, but I don't lie to my friends, because I value trust in that instance. Well, I more or less don't lie. I don't tell people I'm trans. But that is mostly omission. If it came down to it, though, even to a friend, I suspect I could lie well.

2. Manhacker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can lie. I don't often though because I feel bad when I do. The only time when I do is when people ask for my sexual identity as my school is very homophobic.

3. LailaForbidden

I'm completely transparent. Sometimes I get away with it though. I try not to make a habit of lying.

4. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm surprisingly a great liar what I don't get is people don't believe me wheni tell the truth cause I giggle when I'm not lying(shrug) I don't get myself:/

5. Hefiel

I'm a very good liar (too good even), but it's not because I had to hide my homosexuality. Oddly enough, I've never had anyone suspicious that I might be gay other than my father maybe asking once when I was still in denial considering I had never had a girlfriend nor seemingly showed interest. He's never asked since then, but often ask me when am I going to bring a girlfriend home...he's in for a shock.

Anyway, I've lied continuously to keep up the "status quo" in my life and surrounding. Since I have a very strong distrust in people, I've gotten used to acting and lying to stay in control. I used to be pretty good at Improv and acting in Plays, and after I stopped, that ability sort of morphed into my current behavior as time passed. Not something I've very proud of however, and I'm definitively looking for a way to get rid of, but to do that I'll need to find a trustworthy person first so I won't have to keep my guard up at all time.

6. JPC

JPC Guest

I'm really kind of ashamed at how well I can lie when I need to.

7. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate lying.Only do it when it will keep someone from yelling at me or so somebody doesn't get their feelings hurt.

8. damn liar

It's interesting.

On the one hand, I've been lying to myself so well these past 5 years that I'm having the hardest time repairing that damage. :wink:

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm that good at lying to other people anymore. I remember when I could have lied effortlessly... but now I feel as if people could sometimes tell when I did lie.

Hmm... I'll go with 'Quite well'...

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't lie ... I just bend reality to fit my viewpoint :thumbsup:.

10. Formality

I am the master of lying. I am really good at improvising as well if I'm put on the spot. I have a kinda good poker face as well. I guess it's not a great trait, I mean.. Who likes a liar? I mostly just use my skills to get out of trouble in school though. If I oversleep or just suddenly disappear for a week for no reason :slight_smile:

11. Gen

Gen

Same. I wouldnt say that there is such a thing as a best liar, but I am definitely one of the few that are tied for first. I dont even know how I do it half the time. I can fabricate my entire day in casual conversation without even a stutter. Luckily, I never do anything that would require me to lie about anything serious, but I truthfully havent even experienced much guilt for the times I have in the past.

12. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fair enough...

13. Connor22

No.

or can't I....?

14. I've lied many times. I usually lie about my age and my whereabouts when I ditched half of one of my of my classes once.
    I'm rather tall so I could lie that I'm older than my real age and I've lied my way to a PG 13 movie 4 years ago.

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I can tell half-truths when I need to, but I'm terrible at lying. Part of that is probably my Asperger's Syndrome (I've read that that's one of the symptoms).

But I think an even bigger part is that I just don't like keeping secrets, so I don't. I've lived much of my life worried about who knew and who didn't know certain facts about me, and that gets to be exhausting. Over the years, I've announced these facts on Facebook, or casually mentioned them when relevant in a status update, because I decided I would rather have everyone know than have to worry about and remember who knows.

As a result, I have just about no secrets. My sexual orientation, my gender identity, my attraction to chubby guys, my history of anxiety, my struggle with suicidal urges--my friends know about all of these things. And the feeling of relief I get knowing that I can just talk about these things far outweighs any fear I might have of people reacting badly to finding out.

16. Hexagon

In my experience, a poker face isn't what a good liar needs. Anyone looking for a liar knows that a face with too little emotion/reaction on it is suspect. The liar's face should show an appropriate amount of emotion, and of course, it should be the correct range of emotions.

I find manipulating my eyes to be the most effective at this. There is a myth about not being able to fake an 'eye smile', which, at least in my personal experience isn't true. But people tend to believe that anything portrayed by one's eyes is real.

I also avoid the typical 'misrepresentation of the truth' thing. It comes across of deliberately evasive. If I mean to put across a position that is untrue, I say it as if I would if it were true.

#16 Hexagon, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Oh I can lie.. But I feel guilty if I do, so I refrain myself.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 01:03 AM ----------

:lol: when I lie I look directly at the person's eyes, but if I tell the truth I look around. Also the Eye smile is so easy to fake.

18. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate lies, so, I'm terrible at it, since I hate not being sincere about something. So, yeah... when I lie I think it's pretty stupid.

19. I have the ability to pass a lie off unnoticed in a conversation when I need too.

20. Bree

I'm a fantastic liar when it's important, especially at improvising under pressure--I can even burst into tears to make a story more realistic--but I'm unreliable when it comes to lying about things that aren't that important, such as what happened to the rest of the pie, and it's hard to lie at all if I really want to tell someone the truth.