1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently I'm Self Loathing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 341, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 341

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been told by people on this forum that because I don't like the idea of wearing make-up and being in drag I'm self loathing, or I'm not actually gay?

I don't understand? :icon_sad:

2. That Kid

That doesn't make sense. You don't have to like those things to be gay. I don't understand either

3. LD579

Er... Listen: lots of people have ideas about what it means to be gay or whatever. They're just ideas. For instance, I don't like the idea of wearing makeup, but I actually have done so in the past (I've stopped). It wasn't because I wanted to be glamourous or fabulous or spectacularly rainbow-like. It was because I was... ashamed of my face, and because I thought my face looked better when it didn't look ravaged.

That's not to say that others don't do the same thing, or that they do. People can wear makeup for lots of reasons. It doesn't mean you're gay if you wear makeup, it just means... that you wear makeup.

As for drag... I don't like dressing in 'woman's clothes'. That doesn't mean I'm self-loathing, and that doesn't mean you, either.

You'd be self-loathing if you repressed things about yourself (For instance, you like makeup, but you don't wear it. That doesn't sound like it's the case), but... It doesn't sound like you're repressing anything.

Don't worry. Everyone has their opinions, and... You can have your own, too =) Don't let others tell you what you are. You knew that already, though, didn't you? =) Being gay just means that, in your case, you like guys. Simple.

4. Hexagon

On this forum?

Well wherever it is, don't listen. You are yourself, and if that person doesn't like make-up, then its hardly self-loathing to not wear makeup. And tell them as much.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Who said that?? !

And being "Gay" is your sexual orientation isn't it? What has it got to do with your fashion sense or whatever.

6. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    don't llisten to that crap.Sad if its coming from this site.You do whatever you want,however you want.:thumbsup:

7. GetMeGeechie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    theres really nothing femine about me...and i have really like this guy...a like girls to but i do have a spot for guys..and no one can tell im gay...your just not that deep...but you know if your gay..so theres no problem

8. AKTodd

I'm 100% gay (accept no substitutes and look for the union label) and have no interest in either makeup or wearing women's clothes. Don't much care if others want to but don't see what that has to do with orientation.

I'm certainly not self-loathing, though. Self-centered? Some days, I'm pretty sure I'm the center of the entire universe, not just my own little world. Self-involved? I just love me:slight_smile: Self-abusing? Well yes, but who isn't?

Rather more seriously, like others here, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that said on this forum. I'd take whatever was said with a grain of salt or consider the idea that there's some sort of misunderstanding or mis-communication going on somewhere.

Todd

9. Phenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Last time I checked the only requirement to being gay was being attracted to the same sex. Whoever has said that to you is a butt.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone on this forum told you that, please point out the thread or wall posts where this occurred, as it's information that clearly needs to be corrected. No one who is sane and sensible would say that.

11. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not even close to what people said. You're twisting people's words.

What they said was guys wearing make up and cross dressing is pretty gay, which.. it is. No one said all guys wear make up and cross dress, but when they do, they're most likely gay.

Also, the self loathing part.. because you got quite angry at people for saying wearing make up and cross dressing is part of the LGBT culture and is a gay thing to do (which, again, mostly it is), they said that maybe you had some internalized societal homophobia, and you felt uncomfortable possibly being associated with that part of the LGBT culture.

It's important to really read or listen to what people are actually saying before you jump to conclusions.

:slight_smile:

12. 341

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wearing make-up doesn't make you gay.

13. Hexagon

No, it doesn't. But make-up is more commonly worn by gay men that straight men.