1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Platonic Relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CrimsonThunder, Apr 2, 2008.

1. CrimsonThunder

Do platonic relationships between two people of the same sexuality (eg. two gay guys/girls (or gay/bi) or two straight people) exist?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sometimes they do. Sometimes they do not. One of my best friends is Tim who has been on here and posted a few times. I am not attracted to Tim in the least. (if he's reading, sorry Timmy!) However, I totally depend on him to interact with intellectually and for support. I'm actually not quite sure what I give him. :roflmao: He lives on the East Coast and I live on the West. We met online and have met face to face once but have been friends for years.

I think if you are going to keep your relationship platonic you have to have boundaries and it is a risk. If you are involved with somebody else too you have to think about how they are going to handle it. If they are the jealous type, it could get sticky.

3. Alexander

Definitely :grin:

If they didn't, then there would be a biiiiiiig problem in the world :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Connor

Connor Guest

Of course they do, otherwise gay men/women would feel no need to be selective in choosing partners.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Yeah, I think they can and do exist. But sometimes they morph into the other kind.

6. pirateninja

Yep, I have a load of lesbian and bi girl friends :grin:

7. abercrombieboi

uhm i have plenty of gay friends who i hav no attraction for because theyre like brothers to me, but i have hooked up with many of my other gay friends

8. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes..they do...I've gay friends who are just friends. I can't ever imagine wanting to do anything with them (with repsect where it's due, of course).

9. neverover

i have many gay friends. in fact, i never got a huge crush on internet friends. i only liked my classmate:slight_smile:

10. Vampyrecat

I have many gay and lesbian friends, none of whom I'm attracted to. For some reason, I always fall for the "Not quite Bi but curious, no I've decided I'm straight now" girls.
    GAH.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of my best friends in the world is another queer girl. She's a couple of years older than I am and she was the one who helped me through accepting myself and coming out. I love her dearly but there's no attraction there at all - I think of her pretty much as a sister. (Also, she's been with her girlfriend for something like five years). So yes, it's definitely possible.

12. CrimsonThunder

I find this strange, the same question got asked on a forum I go to and I answered that yes they can but almost everyone else said no they can't! (straight people btw =P)

13. CaptainTrips

I would say, from general experience (consider that most of this is in relation with 16-yr-old testosterone driven idiots, and advice from adult men), that platonic relationships can always exist! from a woman's perspective, at least. Men (straight ones, at least. i cant speak for gay/bi guys) seem, somewhere buried deep in their heads, to have an ultimate goal, even if it never, ever comes close to being remotely possible. but hey, without that, the human race'd probably have died out by now.

14. justjoshoh

Absolutely, like abercrombieboy there are some guys that I know that are like brothers to me. There is one, in particular, that I credit saving my life. Though I'll be his friend forevermore, there is not a sexual attraction.

15. Jim1454

Ya, straight people! Go figure! :icon_wink

I have a male gay friend. It is strictly platonic. That was the intention all along. I wanted to have a friend that I could relate to, who knew what I was going through, someone that I could be open with - before I came out to my other friends.

It is difficult making time for any kind of friends when you have a significant other in your life. But I try to stay in touch. My bf knows that my relationship with this friend is strictly platonic - he's not threatened at all. (Perhaps because my bf is WAY hotter than the other guy! (!) )

16. Time

I have a lot of older gay friends that I can't date because...they're older.

The only gay friend I have around my age is my ex boyfriend who's actually bi.

17. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I think straight people say yes because they already have a big group that is no-go: their own sex. So they don't see why you would want strictly platnoic relationships with people you could be attracted to. Whereas we understand how attraction can go anywhere and understand better how sometimes it could go there but doesn't. (Did that make any sense?)