1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other non native english speakers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by evora, Apr 14, 2013.

1. evora

Does anyone else feel like there aren't any proper words to express themselves in their own language? Or if there are, they are degrading.
    For me, it's a lot easier to say 'I'm gay' in English than it would be in my native language because simply its equivalent does not exist. It's all words like f*g, etc. that are in use in relation to homosexuality here.

I've been thinking about it since last night when I've watched some videos on youtube, made by one of the very few lgbt organizations in my country. They sounded so weird to me because it's impossible to find an acceptable translation for 'gay' and they are using one that is a bit outdated and I've always heard it being used in a negative way so that whenever I hear that word, it makes me want to run the other way.

Also, I keep seeing posts where members advise people to join their local lgbt support group and they always make me think 'but we don't have any'. There are literally about 3 or 4 organizations in this country and all of them are located in the capitol, which is no help to me at all.

I've gone slightly off topic, but my question is basically, do you find that in your native language it's a lot harder to explain to people what being gay really means?

2. TheUglyBarnacle

In one word, yes. And I'm not even gay. The politically correct words to use for gay and bi here are the equivalent to homosexual and ambisexual and they sound...too scientific? Lesbian exists in my language but I personally do not like the sound of it much.

I won't even go in fields such as genderqueer and tran*. The words we use sound like diagnoses.

3. Harve

Being more general here, but I find the amount of English used in countries whose populations are all fluent in English/are exposed to much English-language culture amazing (from a linguistic point of view). I've heard Dutch and Swedish people say things along the lines of "we switch to English mid-way through sentences because our own language doesn't have enough words". I'm talking about using sorta-idioms like 'by the way' and 'you know what I mean?'.
    I don't think that's really the case - I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with Dutch! it's more that it's easier to just say the English phrase rather than create a translation that would feel awkward/like a neologism; it could be expressed but the English alternative seems better to them. You can see it in English with the use of Latin and French phrases (in addition to, of course, the plethora of individual words that have been borrowed) like 'et cetera' or 'en route', even if they can be translated adequately.

Hai, I'm a nerd.

4. damn liar

Yeah, it's sort of the same here. I mean, people use the word 'gay', but we don't have an equivalent. I figure when I get to the point where I have to share the news, I'll just use 'gay' since everyone knows what it means, or I'll find a way around it, like 'I don't like girls'.

But that moment is so far away.... :grin:

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. It says enough that English has waaaaaaaay more words than a lot of other languages. It's especially easier to describe emotion and feelings in English; there are just so many words all slightly different in meaning.

6. wilkysarah1

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah. There are no words for LGBT in my language. You might be thinking, 'But you live in the US!' I actually speak a different language at
    home so telling my parents will be weird. Not that I'm planning on it any time soon....

7. evora

Same here.:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 04:49 PM ----------

That sounds amazing! I wish people would do that here. Although that might be possible there because those languages are similar to English, grammatically at least.

I've always thought using French and Latin phrases made people sound more posh. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

That's probably what I'll do as well, tell them that I don't like boys but I do love women.:icon_wink
    I don't think I'd ever like to go into the whole homosexual discussion though. After all it's not my sex life I want to tell them about, but my (future) partner.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

Yes, that is so true! I always feel it's sad that I can't express myself in my native language as well as in English.:icon_sad:

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2013 at 05:02 PM ----------

(*hug*)

8. Ragazza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I speak Dutch. And yes, I can express myself better in English. Dutch, and definitely the dialects are a bit rough. Expressing your feelings is difficult, I am much more open in English.

9. Hexagon

In Spanish, the terms 'gay', 'lesbiana' and 'bisexual' are used mostly. The pronunciation is slightly different to english. I suppose you could say homosexual, but no one does much.

10. Sayu

Yes! We also have the word "gay" in our language, but lesbians can't use it, because it's gender-fixed (males only). And I hate our word for lesbian, it's quite similar, but sounds so bad :frowning2:

11. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know the feeling ;_;

But I also know that most people refer to gays, lesbians and bisexuals as "maricas" or "playos" (f*ggots), "marimachas" (d*kes), and bisexuals are just considered promiscuous, at least where I live, anyway.

12. Hexagon

Well yeah. But I was trying to be nice. At least they have nice words for us in spanish, from the looks of it, a lot of languages don't.

13. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    True, to a point. But it's pretty much the same as it is in English: Homosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual. At least the non-offensive terms are the same, but I don't know how you could translate aromantic, queerromantic, and stuff like that.

14. Hexagon

Yeah. But it doesn't really matter to me that its all taken from english. Theres no real point in making up new words. And anyway, *sexual are all latin roots anyway aren't they. And I think lesbian is a greek root.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Finocchio is an umbrella term for queer but it's used in a vulgar expression, my dad uses it to describe homosexuals. Same as with frocio, but it's not as commonly used. I don't know the words to describe transsexuals, but I would assume that the official translation would be used as another offensive slur.

English has better adjectives and nouns, and much more variety than the Italian language to describe LGBT terms which aren't associated with offensive language either (ie how homosexual isn't really an offensive word as say, fairy or faggot). Being a queer Italian would most likely be hell considering the conservative politics throughout the country. Coming from an Italian family isn't all that accepting either regarding queer matters. "Fanook" can sum that up.

16. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, it comes from a Muse whose name I can't recall in English right now, her name was Safo de Lesbos. She lived in the island of Lesbos where she had intimate relationships with other women. That's where the word lesbian comes from :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Dalmatian

In Croatian, there are words describing homosexuality, but they have mostly taken a negative meaning. So, the word gay is being used as a borrowed term from English. It's not even transcribed (it would be written as "gej" if it was adapted to Croatian). But it does only apply to males. So, gays and lesbians here.
    Interestingly, there's no term for bisexuality in Croatian (I mean, other than bisexuality :slight_smile:).

The whole LGBT visibility movement of the last half century has mainly originated in the USA. Understandably, where the change of the zeitgeist starts, the vocabulary is going to come from as well. I don't find that strange.

18. hkboy93

The proper Chinese term is just translated as same sex/ homosexual. But Cantonese loves to adopt English sounding words and we just put it into daily use, in Canto its "基" pronounced "gei" and if you say that, people would understand perfectly.

On another note I still have not physically said the words "I'm gay" out loud yet. I've only said "I'm not straight", I don't know why its so hard and fearful for me to just say "I'm gay".

19. Ragazza

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Dutch (Flemish) we have the word 'Holebi'. That stands for : Homo (gay), lesbisch (lesbian) and bi (bisexual). But it's not really common to say : 'I'm holebi. It's used as in : Alot of holebi's went to the gay parade in Brussels. When people speak about holebi's they sometimes also mean the transgender people.

We just use the words : Homo, gay (not so common) for men. Lesbisch for women and bi for the bisexuals.

20. timo

^ Being Dutch too, I sincerely dislike the word 'homo'. It starts to get a negative connotation. I usually just tell people "I like guys".

EDIT: not 'too', you're Flemish. My bad :grin: