1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A LGBT Jackie Robinson?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Apr 14, 2013.

1. IanGallagher

I just saw the movie '42' and it seems, whether it intended to or not, bring up the whole issue regarding gay athletes in the major leagues.

In one scene, a white man wraps his arms around Jackie to demonstrate to the crowd that he's on his side. The modern day equivalent, I still think, would be a straight man hugging the gay player right out there for everyone to see. They'd probably ask him why he did it and what it meant. And he'd tell them he saw no problem in it, nothing's read behind it since he does the same with other members of the team and that if it did mean something that it shouldn't matter.

You're similarly also going to see some guys getting upset over having to undress and shower around a gay man. And to not cause a disturbance the gay player is probably going to sit to the sidelines at first because he thinks if he doesn't he'll make the other players feel uncomfortable.

I can also see the crowd yelling out "get off the field faggot!" or "pansy ass" at the top of their lungs.

Just the whole film really brought it to mind, and got me emotional at many times, because it does seem like this is what would happen at first. But then, things got turned around and that died down.

How do you feel the world would respond to the first openly gay athlete in the majors?

(I also really want to see a movement like this in Hollywood. There are gay actors, but action stars and leading men for example still can't come out. I can say one gay actor I know for example leads a huge action franchise for which there will be another sequel installment this year, I can neither confirm nor deny the name though. Also James Franco might turn the whole LGBT around if he just comes out already -- he's not really fooling anybody and it doesn't seem to have created a wave at all (notice how he's only asked if he's gay, not bi, and him always giving a gray answer because of that). All you need is one and then the rest follow from there. As a screenwriter, I'm going to be only bi though and do what I can there.)

How much of an impact do you think a change in this with sports (and possibly Hollywood, which seems like it would follow) would be?

#1 IanGallagher, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013