1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting happenings at the LGBT Board Games Meetup

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowMan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I was at the LGBT board games meetup tonight, and the most interesting thing happened. I was sitting at the table, and this couple (male and female) sat down at the table just down from us (we were in a public place, and we weren't using the entire table. They asked if they could sit there, and we said sure).

We were playing a game, and I could hear them talking about the game we were playing, Malarky at the time. I engaged them in conversation upon hearing this, they asked if they could join, and we made room for them.

Because we had a straight couple with us, we were all on our best behavior :grin:. Then it wound up somehow that it was just me and the lady at the table. She was looking at the games that I had brought, one of them being Cards Against Humanity, which she wanted to play after I briefly explained it to her. I was being really nervous about actually playing it with the group, since for a gay group it can get rather...inappropriate, and I wouldn't be able to play it like I normally would with this group. Then somehow the conversation shifts to her friend, who she tells me is gay. I was like....WOWZERS! I told her that she had walked in on the LGBT Board Games meetup, she had no clue. Once her friend came back from the restroom, she told him that this was the LGBT board games meetup, and he thinks that she's just trying to hook him up or something...

Anyhow, my reservations about playing CAH were gone at that point, since she was obviously a very supportive straight ally, and he was gay. We proceeded to play since she REALLY wanted to, and had several hours of the best fun ever! We were all able to be ourselves, and it was a great night.

Just had to get out how great it really was!!!! :grin:

2. Ticklish Fish

Lol, cards against humanity... is like Apples to Apples but more inappropriate

3. IrishEyes1989

Awww, that's so awesome! :grin:

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like a great evening! I'm a little envious. I used to like board games, back when I knew people who played them. You suggested exporting LGBT events to my area. Do you suppose you could include the game night?!?

5. RainbowMan

Nope, that one's all mine :grin:

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I don't blame you....

I was curious enough about the idea to run a search on a site that allows one to find groups with shared interests. I see many LGBT board game groups, and they cropped up in all sorts of places. Including places that you might expect nothing. (Of course there is none in my area, but I knew that already. With a population more than a million between two counties, you'd think there might be something other than a group for lesbians, but noooo, you'd be wrong, at least as far as this meeting site is concerned.)

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2013 at 11:44 AM ----------

One good thing about groups like that board game group is the chance of actually developing some real relationship, vs the quick fling.

And which sounds more touching? This: "We met at a board game group!" Or this: "We met using a iPhone app that allows for fast hookups!"