1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling uncomfortable with my dad..?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perseus, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Perseus

I have a very homophobic dad and each time someone gay/gay posters on the streets shows up he immediately turns away or curses them... While I was watching this BGT audition video where there was a gay couple dancing and he just shook his head and made some irritating comments. I feel really uncomfortable when he does this, what should I do?? :confused:

2. Jordz

I'm the same, I was watching this chat show thing the other day and they were talking about a lesbian kiss in the movie she did and my brother said "Like every film now has a gay in it" and my dad said "yeah, it does my head in."

I don't really know what to do either, I just sit there and ignore what he said.

3. KwT

KwT

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're not out to your dad, right?

Ok, this advise comes from the Junior high school Sex Education material of my country. I'll conduct it from my memory. It's about "Before coming out, if you're gay", but has more to do with your situation.

1. If your parents are homophobic, educate them.
    It's not good to come out to your homophobic parents, you may not earn their respect at all, and the out come could be catastrophic. You need to educate your family, anytime your parent name a homophobic comment, correct them. Correct their wrong ideas. They will listen to you, because you're a important family member, if they don't, tell them what you told them are facts being taught at your school. People need to understand in order to accept. If your parents don't understand LGBT people, they can't accept you.

2. Talk about your LGBT friends
    Talk about your friends, like you would talk about any other friends. Casually mention about their "differences". The more you talk about them, your families will be more likely to find out that LGBT people are just human beings, and the criminalization are imaginary things.

3. Let your families meet your friend or your loved one.
    Provided they are nice people, let your families meet them. Don't mention their LGBT identity if they don't already know about it. Because the false assumptions never occur, your parents will be surprised to find that they are just normal, nice people after you tell them.

Education leads to understanding, understanding leads to acceptance.

4. Naren

Choose pikachu.
    Ignore him, he's not worth your time at the moment.

5. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So you're obviously not out to him?
    I think you should just talk to your friends, people you can trust. You need some support, and they're the ones that know you the most. I know it's hard, but you shouldn't worry. I was talking to my friend the other day, and she said, once you're older enough you can just leave. Maybe my parents will realise how upset they made me, that they didn't accept me (they don't know yet, but they will do soon), and if they don't realise, then they're not worth it. I know that's harsh to say about your own parents, but everyone deserves to be loved by their parents, it's not like you can control who you like. I hope this helped. Message me, if you want to talk more<3(&&&)

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Totally understand where you are coming from, I am not out to family yet & I hear the Odd comment here & there, like "I think Men kissing is Gross" "I hate people who try to push their sexuality down your throat" Yada Yada Yada

You know the usual crap, I must say though my Stedad didn't like Ryland on the Xfactor, but when he watched him on Celebrity Big Brother, he ended up being one of his supporters Lol

7. Perseus

One thing is that they're religious I can't really do anything to change that...

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    don't ever feel obligated to keep homophobic people in yr life, even if they are pert of yr family. if he's so homophobic you can't ever imagine him changing then i'd say you should try & cut him out of yr life as soon as you can

9. hiddenxrainbows

I know how that feels. I'm out to two of my cousins because I trust them and they're not homophobic. But I'm not out to my dad. And frankly, I'm afraid to tell him; I admit it. He's religious, old school, and homophobic. We talk about politics sometimes. And half the time, somehow, it eventually turns into gay talk. And he talks shit on them, saying they're unnatural, evil, an abomination, etc etc. And it makes me really uncomfortable and sad, but I never say anything. I kind of just ignore it and get silent when it gets to that. I know I prolly should try to counter his words, but I never bothered. And I kinda want to try and change his view on gay people, so I can come out to him, but I kinda doubt I'd be able to do that. And I doubt I'd be able to come out to him without him hating me. I wouldn't care so much, but I'm afraid that he'll use that as an excuse to keep me away from my 14 year old sister, saying that I'll be a bad example and turn her gay too. So trust me, you're not the only one. I'm going through the same thing. It's hard, I know. Maybe kwt is right tho. Maybe we should try changing their views on gay people slowly, so they aren't as hateful.