1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone make up straight crushes to your friends before coming out to them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Apr 15, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally did. I hated doing it because it made me feel dishonest but it was the only way to shut them up about it. So did anyone else do anything similar?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    sorry it's suppose to be "your friends" in the title

3. Emberblaze

Yes, I did LOADS of times, and i regret it, not because I felt dishonest really, but because of it, it made it SO much harder to finally come out to my best friend...

He absolutely WOULD not believe that I was gay for a while, and may still not believe it. He insisted I was bi and all that jazz and it really got annoying after a while. So, to shut him up about that, I became out at school, aaaand he hasn't tried to convince me that I'm not gay anymore since then

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to do this all the time. I ended up in a relationship (my only one) because of this. That relationship did not end well...

I'll fix the title of the thread for you!

5. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Only once, it was mainly because my best friend wanted to set me up with someone, so I said that there was someone I already liked, and made a guy up. I felt bad, but I wasn't ready for anyone to know about my sexuality:/

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks for fixing the title. I almost got into a relationship because of a "pretend" straight crush.

7. Fiddledeedee

Actually, I made up a gay crush on one of them after coming out. It was a mistake, but I thought they wouldn't take me seriously in saying that I liked girls if I told them I had a crush on a guy rather than a girl.

8. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I couldn't do that to myself. I just didn't talk about people I thought were attractive or dating or sex. I didn't talk about that much when I was heterosexist, either, so I guess it wasn't too out of place.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To my parents I did. (I didn't have any friends at the time.)

The weird thing is, I didn't even realize it was made up. I had no idea what sexual attraction actually felt like, and misinterpreted non-sexual liking for a crush.

10. Devious Kitty

Ive heard this can be a big issue in the UK for some reason. (Trying to get people together as couples.) Must really suck to not be out during these sorts of situations.

Ive made up past girlfriends and crushes to get people to leave me along plenty before. People where I live can be really nosy about who you are dating, and if you aren't dating someone (or haven't been for a while) many people will question your orientation.

11. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Yes... It felt sooo awkward! I did it twice, and both of these 'crushes' died out quickly. :slight_smile:

12. LailaForbidden

Yep. It's one of the things that made me so confused about my sexuality. I mean, why would a bisexual have to make up crushes about the opposite sex? But, for some reason or another, repressing my feelings for women also made me repress feelings for men. Or at least that's my theory. I dunno.. I'm just weird :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. LoveMusicPoetry

I did it and I didn't even realise I was gay. When I was at school I was never into boys, I mean not at all. I never had a single crush on a boy at school or college. From time to time, just to join in with the other girls, I used to decide that I was going to like a boy. I'd fix on a lad who was quite popular with the girls and I'd let it drop one day that I liked him. I didn't really and I knew full well I wasn't remotely into him, but I'd just let it slip that I liked him. Then it would be a game of bluff and double bluff. 'Vicki likes Richard!' 'No I don't!' 'Yes you do, you told me!' 'No I don't!' *giggle* All the time I'd be thinking, 'no I actually really don't, I just pretended to you that I did because I never fancy anybody.

14. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did and I actually went on a few individual dates with people, I would take them to the movies or a sporting event and never call them again. Told my friends it 'didn't work out' I still feel bad about that.

15. Sapphy

I did, I even made up a boy who I told my (now) other half about before we got together. I have since come clean and she understands I was just trying to be like everybody else, the denial stage, I suppose.

16. Willjarvis

I think I did that when my mother confronted me (seemed to do the trick), but I'm not certain it wasn't a crush.
    I was always seething about how the girl wouldn't say a word to my face or so much as look at me when she spoke to my friend, but once in while when my back was turned and I was halfway across the room, I'd hear her titter and say my name. Like I wasn't worthy of her attention as a person, but I was a source of amusement. So I thought that if I cared that much about her, I must have a crush on her.

Otherwise I found being my shy self and playing up my innocence (I almost never swore until I was 18) was much more plausible.

That sounds really convincing!

17. Salazar

Yeah, a few times, but I sort of convinced myself they were real. I got nothing out of it, and I sort of knew before the 'crushes' that I was gay, but I tried bargaining with myself, and trying to convince myself they were real.

18. Rexmond

Yup, and was in a realtionship too lol. It wasn't that bad, a bit uncomfortable when she wanted hugs and kisses all the time, but going out with our mates to the movies, round their houses etc was so much fun!

19. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

Ohhh God I used to do the same thing, and I felt awful while doing it.

20. Perseus

All the time. Just all the time.