1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five stages of grief when accepting yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Salazar

I've just noticed that I went through the five stages of grief when I was accepting that I was gay.

For those of you that don't know, the five stages of grief were hypothesised by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. When coming to terms with a tragic or unfortunate circumstance, many people to through the following stages, in no particular order.

1. DENIAL
    2. ANGER
    3. BARGAINING
    4. DEPRESSION
    5. ACCEPTANCE

My denial was filled with plenty of trying to convince myself of straight crushes.

Did anyone else go through the same?

It is also interesting to note that when people are stuck in horrendous traffic, as in absolutely no movement, many go through these five stages, but the acceptance is not a happy or even indifferent one. It is more a macabre feeling that you will die there, and there is nothing you can do about it. Oh well!

2. BudderMC

We've got them in the resources section here. :slight_smile:

But yeah, I totally went through these.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I have gone through every single one of those stages. I think I've reached acceptance, but you never know when you'll go back and forth between stages.

I've also been experiencing these stages due to my unrequited love and today I'm in the stage "depression." I hate that one...

4. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahahha totally! I remember that on 2011 I was in the bargaining because I was really trying to like this guy haha, like I was "okay, you have to like him, he is so cool and you two like the same things". Turns out he's really a douchebag, but we really had a lot in common. But it wasn't worth it, he was a liarrrr. I hate liars.

And I literally told him once "I'm not gay at all" hahah look at me now YOOOO

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

My stages were
    Shock
    Confusion
    Despair
    Depression
    Acceptance

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone goes through them, at least according to Kubler-Ross's theories... and the experiences I've had in talking to others.

7. Hexagon

As far as my sexuality went, I didn't go through all the stages. It was more like this:

anger-acceptance-confusion-acceptance-confusion-acceptance

As for my gender, it was more of a:

confusion-depression-denial-acceptance

8. Lewis

I've definitely gone through a mixture of those.

Denial when I believed it was a phase or that I was bisexual. Anger and depression due to knowing that I couldn't change myself (possibly bargaining also). Acceptance when I finally realised being gay wasn't the end of the world.

Going through all of those stages has made me a much stronger person today allowing me to put up with the stains that being gay puts on you. So I'm glad I went through it.

9. Jameson

I might've went through a tiny denial stage, but coming out has been a totally easy and "whatever" experience for me. I realized it when I was 11-ish because my mom was like "hey, you're gay". I never stressed out over my sexuality ever. My mom didn't go through any of the stages either.

10. BornInTexas

11. AKTodd

Don't recall that I really went through these, certainly not about being gay (it was a long time ago). There may have been something like denial around the idea that I would have any level of intimacy with another human being, but that didn't last terribly long nor did it keep me up nights. I wasn't really...burdened...with a lot of the stuff that many folks seem to find problematic when coming to realize and accept that they are LGBT (although whether that was worth the cost may be questionable) and in other areas had other stuff to deal with.

Honestly, figuring out I was gay was both one of the most positive things in my life to that point and also not that big a deal compared to some of the other stuff I'd gone through growing up.

Todd

12. eatsleepclimb

For me, probably
    confusion
    denial
    frustration
    depression
    acceptance (finally!)

13. Stoical

Hmm, I was going to say I'm not sure if I went through all those stages. But after I went back and read through the descriptions, I can see myself having gone through them all to at least some degree. Definitely been going through the "Depression" stage lately. At least I think I'm starting to transition into "Acceptance." Finally! :icon_bigg

14. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I'm always in depression stage so yea

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the way, Kubler-Ross says people don't always go through all the stages of grief, and don't necessarily go through them in the same order. The order she described was just the most common one.