1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Los Angeles Love

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Duplexaxis, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay so a little background. I'm an English guy, bisexual, and I'm visiting my friend in LA this summer. Its my first time ever in the USA and I'm a bit nervous. Are people generally accepting? Bear in mind that I'm of university age as is my friend

2. LD579

Well, it may depend where you are. More urban places would generally be more inclined to being more accepting to same sex attraction. As for whether they'd be accepting of you as an English guy... People will eat up your accent. I know I would. Haha, really, accents are quite charming. L.A. in general is more liberal than, say... Texas, or something. I don't think you have anything to worry about (I go to L.A. to visit family. Of course, it's not like I've gone to bars or anything, so yeah...).

You and your friend, and perhaps other friends, may wish to go to Las Vegas. It's like a 3 hour drive, but you may find it quite, quite fun (Even just for shopping or other things besides gambling). Of course, you may have to find a hotel that's at a fiscally reasonable price...

Welcome to EC =) If you have any more concerns or queries or anything of the sort, feel free to post. There may be other issues or things you're curious about, and if so, I'd recommend that you look at some of the threads on this forum / site.

EDIT: Accents aren't a big deal, but lots of people will likely enjoy the sound of your voice. It may sound creepy to you, but it's not supposed to be. As for appearing to be an uptight brit... It depends. People are more likely to not repress their feelings, and people are more likely to let their mouths run (In non-professional / casual settings).

You may be perceived as reserved, perhaps. I don't know you so... It's hard to definitively say.

#2 LD579, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for your help! Glad to know that I'm not travelling to homophobiaville. Is the accent thing a big deal? I just assumed that was a stereotype played on by films (love actually ftw!). I also hear that American people in general are quite open and wear their hearts on their sleeves. Will I appear to be an uptight brit?

4. Jared

LA is pretty accepting, well at least the parts of it I stay in. I don't know about areas like South Central, a place with a reputation for crime and gangs. You might want to check out West Hollywood, there's a lot of gay clubs and stuff, I think about 50% of the city is gay/bi men.

5. nikom87

Welcome to EC!

I would say that you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:. There are many neighborhoods that are very LGBT friendly. There are tons of bars and clubs you will find if you like that sort of thing, plus tons of beaches if you like that. There is no shortage of things to do. Lots of historical stuff all around to see too.

People are generally very accepting here. Of course, like anywhere, there are certain areas that are less so, and there are always going to be rude, ignorant people, but I think that you will find that you feel welcome here. Not sure where your friend lives, but try checking out West Hollywood, its a very fun place you might like.

6. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yay! I was getting worried I'd have to ditch the spray on skinny jeans. He's at a uni in LA doing film if that helps.

7. Jared

If it is UCLA then yay (!) but if it's USC then booooo :angry: haha have fun this summer

8. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    UCLA sounds right. I hope this accent is all its cracked up to be! Gonna work it if it is XD

9. Jared

Most people love British accent over here, I know I do. Makes people much sexier. And yay UCLA (!)(!) Though I might be biased since I go there haha West Hollywood is about 15 minutes from here and the area is super accepting

10. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think LA could be heaven for me. That sounds so great! From what you've said I guess no one would care if I rocked the really tight skinny jeans which are technically girls jeans :slight_smile: .

11. Jared

Nobody will care at all, a lot of guys I know wear jeans like that all the time and nobody bats an eye.

12. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I might end up never leaving! As an American guy are you quite open about if you like someone? Us english are quite reserved. Its an absolute pain in the arse to work out if someone is gay or just being friendly

13. FJ Cruiser

The supposed backwardness of the US is majorly overblown I think. In the large cities (which are home to the vast majority of population), few care what your orientation is, much less what you wear. I grew up in a mid-sized city in west Texas, and the guy who won the most stylish award in high school came to school in drag most days.

14. Jared

It depends on the person, I feel like many people are, personally I'm not. But then again I'm very introverted.

15. Alexander69

Meh I don't like LA. Not my place. My brothers girlfriend is from there and lives there and we go there to see her family but that's it. It's fun if you have money lots of shopping. Great houses I would never want to live there personally though

16. Hefiel

*Grabs his suitcase and buys a ticket online to L.A *
    "Mom, I'm moving to L.A!"

17. nikom87

I lived in West Hollywood for a couple years. Its nice that you can walk around everywhere to shop, eat, club, etc. The clubs/bars are fun, but like anywhere, there are lots of shallow, drama-filled party folks out on the weekends if that bothers you. Its definitely a gay male/androcentric environment (meaning many of the bars are not really popular with lesbians/bi women). Its fun and you'll have a very good time, I just wanted to make sure that it didn't get built up to a level that it couldn't possibly live up to :slight_smile:

The main thing that's cool about a neighborhood like that is that you are free to walk down the street kissing/holding hands without much fear of nastiness from anyone, and I think that's probably what you're looking for.

18. Alexander69

I'd rather go and buy my villa in Bahamas or Dominican Republic have my own private island gated obviously and live there! I've never liked LA

19. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The places you would go as a visitor are very accepting. Like the others said, West Hollywood is the big gay community here and YAY UCLA!