1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by manoverboard09, Apr 16, 2013.

1. manoverboard09

So I've never participated in Day of Silence, and I know it's coming up on the 19th. However, being a server, and considering I work that night... I definitely can't participate. lol.
    But has anyone ever participated? Especially those of you in school?
    When I was in high school our school was actually pretty cool about it. People had cards to give to their teachers, or they wore stickers or something. My school also had LGBT clubs and Gay/Straight Alliance.
    Just wondering some of your thoughts on the day?

Day of Silence

2. Ticklish Fish

i never participated...
    closet problem lol

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

^ You don't have to be out or gay to participate lol.
    - I am doing the day of silence along with about half my friends.

4. eatsleepclimb

Yep! I participated last year. Most people took it as a sort of dare/joke and were giggly about it, but it was still really cool. I'm doing it this year too.

I always thought it would be funny if on the day of silence, WE got to talk, and all the straight people couldn't! :lol: :grin: It would be like a reversal day, so they could see how it feels. haha :slight_smile:

5. LD579

Tons of more popular kids in my class would do it. They liked the attention and they liked the humour that would sometimes arise from not being able to speak.

I mean... Whether whatever raises awareness is debatably worth it or not... It's a start, at the very least.

EDIT: It's high school. Pencils and erasers can turn you on, and everything can be a joke.

#5 LD579, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. manoverboard09

Yeah, you definitely don't have to be LGBT to participate! It's just a day to take a stand against bullying of LGBT students/etc.

I can't believe people take it as a joke though :confused:

7. Wolfie Charm

I participated in ninth grade. It was awesome. I got in a heated "argument" with one boy in my last class of the day. Same class my teacher called on me and them rolled her eyes in annoyance when I pointed at my stickered shirt. She only disliked the silence part. Three of us did it in that class.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to do it every year, even though I end up screwing up at some point each time.

9. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

In 9th grade I got angry at people supporting all this blasphemy!

I did it in 10th grade when I was still closeted to everyone. I ignored the not talking part. :slight_smile: I just wanted to show my support. A couple students and teachers smiled at me, which felt good. The sadder part was when me and some friends were at a lunch table and sat near a group we didn't know bcuz there were no more tables (one of my friends was a heterosexist obviously not participating, the other was cishet and doing it for the challenge, not for the community). Well, the group saw us with the slips pinned to our shirts and started dissing the day, calling it useless and stuff. They asked their lesbian friend what it was about and she was kind of going along with mocking it, and the group was like, "Well you're already out as lesbian so you don't need support or anything," and the lesbian was frowning a lot. :frowning2: At the time I was too timid to say anything...

For the past three years I was going through a I-hate-the-queer-movement phase due to not being okay with my orientation. But not this year. :slight_smile: Realizing I have attraction to males has forced me to think about this stuff critically. I might do it. I hardly participate in class anyway.

10. Gen

Gen

I have never been able to do it yet. We'll see if my college does something for it. Few people have done it in my highschool, but this year they ductaped their mouths with this cute rainbow tape. There werent many, but you had to notice. Meanwhile, I always have to speak or present something.

11. worriedWardrobe

I never knew what it was for, but I'm definitely going to participate now!

12. animequeen567

I'm gonna try this year. Last year I had a oral presentation.....

13. Convoy

Ah, I really can't this year :frowning2:; I'm going on a factory tour and then have to work afterwards..

Next yr I'll be doing something for sure since I have intentions of joining a LGBT group that would be organizing an event around it.

I know some people have done it in the past, but not any from my class since most of the religious conservatives are in my class. Darn, it would have been a great time to argue with them :/.

14. manoverboard09

Glad to see that a lot of people are participating! Maybe I'll be able to next year, although I'm sure I would have a hard time not talking all day.. sometimes I can't shut up, and other times I barely speak a word. xD

I know there are some people who try their hardest to try and get you to speak.. I've seen it first hand, but hopefully people won't be rude since I think more people are accepting of LGBT rights :slight_smile:

15. Tiny Catastrophe

I did it in high school and in college but I'm currently on a medical leave from school and I'm generally home alone all day so I don't have a need to talk all day lol. My girlfriend wants to participate but her school refuses to let her and her friends participate which I find pretty messed up.

16. MetalAngel89

MetalAngel89 Guest

uh, no way. I could never be silent. I am not talkative at all, and I don't really have any friends to talk to but I am always either talking to myself or my child. Always.

17. Linthras

Linthras Guest

The whole thing is pretty much unknown here, so ...

18. Oh! I saw posters up at my school and had no idea what the hell it was.

Probably won't take part just because...I sit to my best friends in practically all my classes, don't want to really just stare in silence at them.

Good idea though.

19. Hexagon

They don't do it here, but I'd do it if it had any significance here.

20. worriedWardrobe

Honestly, I'm really excited about this. I have my outfit all picked out, and letters to my teachers. I've been thinking about it all day