1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Mates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by castle walls, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Do you believe in soul mates?

1. Yes

53.6%
  2. No

46.4%
  1. castle walls

Do you believe in soul mates? If you comment, please share what you believe a soul mate is.

2. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are a lot of people to whom you could make a meaningful, life-long commitment. It's just a matter of finding a compatible person. The idea of soul mates perpetuates the idea that love is easy and requires no work. I believe love to be hard work. It's not easy, but the rewards are worth it if both people are committed to making the relationship work.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I belief in being really good friends with someone or being in love with someone. If you want to call that soul mates go ahead. I don't believe in people having actual souls or those souls being a perfect match for each other.

4. Hefiel

I have to agree with the 2 above. I've never believed in the red string of fate, or the idea of a soul mate (if only it'd be that easy). Love is something you have to work towards continuously.

5. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes i do believe in soulmates.Lets say its something like solace to me,to believe that one day ill find someone that ill create a strong bond with him..

6. Fiddledeedee

If I didn't have you, I'd probably have somebody else...

I don't believe we have souls, so I don't believe in soulmates. I don't think that devalues love, though; rather, it means that it's important you put work into a relationship and value it for what it is rather than obeying fate just because.

7. JPC

JPC Guest

I don't believe in soulmates or 'the one'. I think there are lots of 'ones' for everybody, it's just a matter of finding one of them.

8. I disagree with all of the above, I think. I think that the term is a little too vague for me to believe or not believe. I genuinely believe that different people understand it in different ways, which makes it irrelevant. When someone says soulmate to me, I don't picture someone that was 'made' for somebody else - just people that match so well that it may seem that way.

I don't think there's only one person for everyone, because I've seen some amazing couples in my life, and there's no way that they were just lucky enough to have met the one person out of billions that is made for them.

In my , I feel that I can share myself, my body and my soul, and that we combine to become a greater being than either of us could have been. In this way, I'd probably call us soulmates.

9. Ardelia

Ardelia Guest

This. You said what I intended to, therefore you are genius.:slight_smile:

10. JennyLynn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe in soul mates as the definition of someone who completes you. I am my own person and already feel complete. I don't feel that anyone else could complete me in that sense.

11. Hexagon

12. Fiddledeedee

RavioliFaceMan: Interesting definition; that is one I will have to consider further.

Ardelia: BOW BEFORE MY GENIUSNESS!!

Hexagon: Another great one. When we had to do a collage about a love song for English, I picked that one to illustrate. Poor teacher...

13. Hefiel

14. FJ Cruiser

This is how I've seen it. It's ridiculous to think there's only one person for you, but I know that finding a true match is not a common thing. Most love and life partnering is a matter of social economics, but I've wintessed a few couplings where things seemed practically effortless and natural even well after the honeymoon phase. I can only hope I'm so lucky.

15. silkfrog1292

^ Agreed, I voted yes because I believe "soulmate" status is achievable, but it's not just due to fate or good fortune. Surely finding someone that you're comfortable with requires a bit of luck, but to truly make things work needs effort and time.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally do not believe in soul mates, it's been a recipe for a lot of disappointment.

I do believe we are lucky if we find someone who is reasonably compatible with us, then, the trick is to do the things (I was going to call it work, but that is so...proletariat-ish) required to make sure your luck lasts!

17. Bolin

No, I don't believe in soul mates. At least, not in its traditional sense. I think strong, life-long relationships are made. They don't just happen.

18. PantiePirate

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do actually believe in soul mates, which seems to be the unpopular belief here. Yes, I think there are plenty of people someone could make a happy and meaningful relationship, life, and family with. There is not just one person out there for everyone that can work and fate does not always lead someone to their soul mate. On the contrary, I believe very few people meet their soul mate. This is because of bad luck, lack of travel, and people's unwillingness to try to work out a relationship long distance. After all, I doubt many soul mates live near one another. So, I believe each and every person has a soul mate that they may or may not meet. They can work it out with other people but if someone meets their soul mate, they will have a love and connection with that individual that they could not have with another person. I do believe someone was made for everyone. Now, I do not think soul mate relationships are perfect. They will still be hard and have trials and tribulations. I just believe they allow for the deepest and most passionate of all relationships and loves. Just look at people who get brain damaged and lose their memory and then fall for the same person over everyone else all over. That is a soul mate situation. God (as I am religious) I believe, hand tailors someone for every one else. Obviously I don't believe God is a homophobe. So yes they exist in my opinion. I believe I am with my soul mate. I feel this intense vibe each time I look at her that just whispers to me that shes the one. I've never had that. Not many people have it. I believe I am a lucky one. I'm a hopeless romantic, of course I believe in them. My fiancee is my soul mate. I can feel it. Thats all that matters.

19. Hexagon

Lol, brilliant.

20. FruitFly

These two songs pretty much sum up my view of love, life long partners, and all of that.

People experience love and life in different ways. I think there's potential to connect romantically to nearly everyone we meet, the degree at which we do connect being limited by other factors but the potential is there. Given this potential I cannot believe in a soul mate when that person is defined as the only person you could ever form a connection with, but I do think that we can meet an individual where we connect so quickly and intensely that we make them into our soul mate. It is my personal opinion that soul mates are something we create when we meet someone and feel so intensely for them in one respect or another that we cannot imagine another where those feelings would exist.

I would not poo-poo those who feel their partner is their soul mate, because to them their partner IS their soul mate, and as it is something unique to each individual then who am I to say that a soul mate is not real? They are as real as we make them, as real as we believe them to be, and as special as we need them to be.