1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's So Gay

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why do the younger generation keep saying things like "that's so gay" when they mean "that's so stupid"?

Does it do damage to the word Gay & does it trivialise the word?

Does it set LGBT back by so many years just as we are starting to make progress with being more accepted?

2. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I think it's one of those things where 'once your in, it's haard to come out.' What I mean is that when somebody started it, everybody followed their lead. :frowning2:

3. Alexander69

Gay used to also mean happy! "Why do birds sing so "gay" meaning happy. Now it means stupid people love the word gay they can't stop thinking about us! YAY they put us on a pedestal! Sure it means stupid :/ but hey they keep it being popular and it seems to be the most used English word now a days!

4. Juggalo

Seems like a cultural meme. Started out meaning homosexual, was used as an insult, and now is a general catch all phrase for something thats dumb. Words change, just be glad its a title instead of an insult these days.

5. leer

my younger brother who was about 10 at the time used words like... so gay... and being minging its more chav phrases. but since I told him I was gay a few years back he wont use
    so gay anymore .

6. Dalmatian

Well.. someone can be cool/hot and a day can also be cool/hot. I think words can get new meanings without losing old ones, especially when used in a phrase. I don't think anyone equates gay as lame and gay as homosexual. I agree it's disrespectful, but I believe it comes mostly from ignorance, not malevolence. Today, at least. However, I'm not a native English speaker.

7. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try not to pay attention to it

8. JPC

JPC Guest

I don't really mind it so much, I know I probably should. Even though it's inappropriate, I think, for the most part, people really don't mean anything by it.

9. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This.

Words change and adapt to new meanings. Gay never used to mean homosexual. It's the evolution of language.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It's silly but then people do the same thing with words like:
    retarded
    lame
    etc.

11. Hexagon

It annoys me. Particularly because if you call people out on it, they act as if you are overreacting.

12. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont know,and i dont care,the only thing that comes to my mind when someone says that is to punch them on the face lol

13. Perseus

I think some of the people think that the word have different definitions. Although people don't mean to insult gay people, I think it still damages the word in people's mind as the original phrase was possibly meant to be an insult to gay people.

14. prism

[​IMG]

Words only have power if you give them power.

15. Moxxy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    me and my close friends joke about it like when we're playing left 4 dead 2 we call the tank gay and stuff for a joke i dont find if offensive as we are just using the word for a joke not to be mean to anyone and espciially when im pretty Gay myself lol

16. godoftheatre

godoftheatre Guest

It's definitely very ingrained in people's vocabularies today - to the point where people say it without even thinking about it. Even I (and other gay friends) have at times said it without realizing it. I think it does have a somewhat negative effect on the perception of the LGBT community, but at the same time (as someone said before), it only has to hurt you personally if you let it.

17. hiddenxrainbows

I'm bi/pan/whatever you wanna call me, and I have bi and trans friends. But I say that all the time. I know a lot of gay people get offended by it, but I never say the big deal. To me, it's just a word. I joke around about stuff all the time. I think people tend to get too butthurt by things people say nowadays and want to make everything "politically correct." And I think that's bull crap. There IS a such thing as free speech, and I think it should be used. And whenever I say gay or faggot, I never mean it to hurt anyone. As long as the person is merely joking around and not meaning to hurt, I think it's fine. It just depends on how you use words like that, because words are how you define them. People are always debating on the definitions of bisexual and pansexual, but it's different for different people. So I don't care if they're using it as just joking. But if they actually use words like gay to be dickheads and try to purposely be offensive and hurtful, THEN I have a problem with it.

18. UndercoverGypsy

Because they're faggots. Oh shit, I just did it.

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  20. LoveMusicPoetry

Personaly I don't like it. I think most kids say it without any thought to the meaning though, so 99% of the time it's actually got nothing to do with the gayers whatsoever. When we were at school it was an insult meaning soft or wimpy, which is probably worse because that had more in common with homophobic attitudes in general. I still would rather not hear it said though and strongly I'd discourage its use with my own son.