1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sweetthing16, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sweetthing16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's really hard to get a job when your only 15 goin on 16...lol... cuz yeah im tryin so hard cuz i really need the money..does anyone else have this problem?
    :eusa_doh:
    :tears:

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I don't currently have this problem, since I'm older, and have a job, but looks like everyone else is keeping quiet so... Perhaps you can look for a place that is opening or has recently opened and apply there. Hand your application to the manager and introduce yourself, remember to shake hands! Don't forget to make excellent eye contact with the "boss", show him that you will be able to listen intently to him and comprehend his instructions easily. Follow up as many times as feels appropriate. Make the "boss" there remember your face and who you are, otherwise your application will likely disappear into the sands of time. As more customers learn about new businesses the need for employees increases, thus creating a job opening for someone the boss is familiar with, IE you! Thats how I got my job at the Hookah Bookah and back when I was younger I got a job at a restaurant, because it had just opened up. You might not have any experience or age to back you up, but anyone can do dishes :slight_smile: Just show you are responsible, and leadership skills are a big plus. Keep conversations with prospective bosses brief and to the point, try to catch them when they aren't too busy, so they won't mind chatting for a few minutes.

I'd also recommend that you make a professional resume, but you are too young to have anything on your resume yet!

Hope that helps... don't know if it works any differently in Alaska, brrr!!

3. James

I had a job as a cleaner at 15, now that I'm taking high school online shortly I can work fulltime and fund my Camaro project. Good pay, if you like cleaning.

4. Rette

It really depends where you live, and what you're willing to do. I did fast food from 14-16. It really wasn't bad, and it was at least some income. I've heard golf courses will hire young teens, but I imagine it would be a lot of hot, sweaty work.

I would recommend applying as much as you can before school ends, since there's a large influx of applicants around this time, and it's more likely your application will just get glossed over.

5. davo-man

I would recommend working at large retail places like K-Mart, Big W or Target (I'm not sure if you have those over there, but I think you get the idea). They hire people from aroudn 15 up and you can usually get a job that suits you, ie you could work in the Sound and Vision department if you're into computers and DVDs, or the Makeup and Fragrances department...or just stick on registers and refunds if you're good at customer service (it's where I've been for 2 and a half years)

Also, they don't pay terribly bad. I mean, I'm 18 and I get $13 an hour and $17.50 on Sundays. I'm not sure what that converts to in Alaska money, but it's enough money for to buy what I want

Also, the people they employ are usually aroun 15-18, so you get a whole new group of friends around your age too.