1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Takig action with LGBTQ

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedLight, Apr 17, 2013.

1. RedLight

Hey y'all. I've been a way for a little bit trying to figure things out and get my life together (not quite there yet) and in doing so I thought about my experiences as a homosexual in a heterosexual world. I thought about how hard it was (and still is) for me to accept myself and others' opinions (innapropriate as they may be) about my life style "choice", to come out to people, to deal with the questions (some more ignorant than others) and the hardships of just overall disapproval and hate from people, I don't even know.

On my quest to enlightenment, I've come up with something I call "The Straight Experiment." Don't worry it's not what you think, I'm not going down that denial river again, it's a long way down and hitting rock bottom isn't pretty when you're alone. Anyway more on that little project later. Right now I'm trying to get involved in my community to help LGBTQ people in anyway I can. And I thought "why not ask the wonderful and insightful people at EC who probably have oddles more experience than I do in this kind of volunteer work?"

I live in New York City so anything relating to this specific area that you would recommend would be great. :thumbsup: I am very interested in social science, so volunteer work with LGBTQ people would be an amazing opportunity to get insight on a whole community of people, and it would also allow me to get more comfortable in my own skin as an out and proud Lesbian.

So, how are you guys involved in the LGBTQ community? (&&&)

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow that would be great! :grin:

I'm unfortunately not involved except on EC in the LGBTQ community. I live in California but there appears to be a blackhole here that is without one, otherwise I'd be all over it. :frowning2:

3. prism

Hey RedLight,

You can check out the LGBT Community Center on 13th street and ask how you can help. I pass their building all the time but have never been in. If I can work up the nerve, I plan on volunteering over the summer.

Here is a link to their volunteer page.

Good luck!

4. Eatthechildren

I have lot's pf gay/bi/pan friends, and I go to a local Trans* youth group :slight_smile:

5. Robin

I've been really into helping out with my school's gay-straight alliance as of late. I have baked so many brownies for bake sales it's not even funny.

6. Aielar

I tried to start a gsa this year, but ended up finding out I just didn't have the time or energy to run it successfully. Next year, I plan on getting involved with another university's positive space/lgbtg group in a socially activist sort of way though. I've also written a letter to the community's newspaper to raise awareness of this invisible struggle.

7. Naren

I live in a localized wormhole of homophobes tbh.

8. RedLight

Thanks Prism, I actually took a look at that website while I was doing some research online but unfortunately the website doesn't give much information on long-term volunteer opportunities so I think I'll have to work up the nerve for a one on one conversation withan official at the center. Hopefully sometime before the summer so I can get an early start.