1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversations with People on EC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4ever Hearth, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 4ever Hearth

So i've been thinking about how to improve on my overall social skills and get to meet people I normally wouldn't on here. Issue is, I can't seem to think of a thing to talk about when it comes down to it. Now i've managed to add a couple of ppl on here and start a few convos but i'm not gonna lie, it feels akward when I try to "make the first move" :slight_smile:lol:slight_smile: because those thoughts start like "Are they even interested?" "Why would they be?" "Why am I bothering them?...They were probably busy." Especially when I see the interests and start thinking "Holy :***:, I'm on a forum full of people who have informed themselves quite well on many of subjects." aka The Intimidation Factor. :eek:

I handle myself quite well in person because I can pick-up on body language but the internet has always been another ball game for me. :rolle:

So my question is:

If someone were to randomly talk to you, How would you respond?...Would the subject make a difference on whether the convo was short or long-term? or Would you either take control at some point? or Just play along and "power-through" it?

2. Ben

Ben

I'm sure most people would welcome kindness from strangers!

When you talk to someone, sometimes it works and sometimes it dries out, and that's totally fine! I'm not sure that conversations need to be about taking control or powering through, the best conversations are when there's a give and take, and they can work quite organically. I guess the question to ask is how you feel about your social skills on the internet, and why you think you need to improve them?

3. 4ever Hearth

It's mainly because where I am, I don't click too well with the ppl around me. I originally joined this so I could talk to other ppl "like me" and get different opinions and experiences about LGBT stuff but if I can't manage to speak with someone over the computer it's like, "What's the point?"

4. Dalmatian

Brace yourself, wall posts are coming :grin: :grin:

To the topic.. you are not bothering people. It's implied that no conversation has to be taken part in; they can decide not to answer or to answer just as short as it makes it polite. They can choose not to read your message at all. So, as long as people have these options (and you are not basically spamming them) your feelings are unfounded.

Also, while there are incredibly insightful, well-read and smart people in almost any group, most are not and you shouldn't feel intimidated by even those who really are geniuses. The fact is, everyone is good at something and bad at something else. People choose to take part in discussions they care about, which are usually those in which they are good (since they probably found them interesting before as well).

Use the anonymity of the internet and have fun, just relax :slight_smile:

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

As long as you're friendly and clear on your intentions, I think most people will welcome a friendly conversation.

6. 2dMnB

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m not very good in keeping the conversation going either. I usually play along and just go with the flow. I expect from the other party to show any interest in getting to know me. Otherwise I would feel like I’m bothering them or just being a pest. I have this inferiority complex when it comes to social interactions and it gets in the way sometimes.

7. prism

Talking to people online is infinitely harder for me because there is no basis for a conversation. In real life, I have no problem talking to people or leading a conversation, even with strangers.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love a good conversation, but more importantly, I love it when people take a chance to initiate one with me. I always see it as an opportunity to explore someone else's point of view.

People are so fascinating...

9. Tim

Tim

I say hi back. xD I'm very bad at conversations, so I'm often just saying things like How have you been or how was your day, etc. xD But I do that in real life too, so... Lol. I try my best to continue conversations, but honestly, it's just not the type of thing I'm good at doing.

I know it's bad, but online, I tend to ignore people who use ATROCIOUS grammar/spelling. Liek wen dey typ liek dis.

10. I love it when strangers talk to me out of nowhere. I do often ignore people if they use text language or generally bad grammar, because I'm a bit of a stickler for grammar. I'll also ignore messages that just say 'hey' or 'how are you'; people have to actually start a conversation and break the ice. Also, such conversations can take effort to maintain, so both people have to keep asking each other questions, whether they're interested in the answer or not. Always give a good amount of detail on the subject and ask a question or two.

Also, use paragraphs.

11. BudderMC

Thank god I'm not the only one who does this.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm always down to talk to someone about something I enjoy talking about. And for me, that's the best ice breaker: just start talking to me. "I see you like thing. I also like thing. How did you get into thing? What is your favorite thing?" Or something like that. :slight_smile:

I know its an apparently not-uncommon practice on this forum to send someone a friend request as a way of breaking the ice and then start talking, but I've never understood why. The list is labeled "friends". How can I call someone a friend if we've never spoken before? We don't need to be friends first to start talking; just start a conversation! Then, once we've gotten to know each other, I'll gladly accept that request. (Not to mention that my blog is visible only to my friends because there's some personal stuff in there that I don't want just anyone to see, so it's not a distinction I give out lightly.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :slight_smile:

13. Renge

A conversation is like a game of catch. Both people have to keep it going. Also, I hate it when I'm the only one who ask the question and they just answer it. What are we doing? Job interview?

14. Kyllani

I understand your anxiety, if you would call it that. I'm the worst at conversations. I'm the most introverted, shy person I know and I find it hard to maintain a conversation. I find I either say too little or waaaay too much.

That being said, I still welcome any correspondence as a measure to challenge myself and learn to be more socially adept.

I know I feel a little lost and lonely here sometimes, and I'm sure others do too. I suggest you break that ice and make some friends. You could be making someone's day!

15. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im feeling like i dont belong to this place even though im new,noone will talk to me or anything xD so im not sure if ill keep coming.Im hesitating sometimes to talk to the others,and i always feel like a bother so its my problem that im such a closed person.But if the others are talkative you can start with a hello,and find something common so you can talk about it.I think its all about the person,if the person likes to talk then you will meet no problems.Good luck :slight_smile:

16. Same deal for me. (!)

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I think it's more of an introvert thing to be picky and choosy about conversations and anxious about keeping the convo going. I don't think people would mind at all if somebody just stopped by to leave a comment or said "Hey there, I see that we both like so-and-so" or what have you. It's easy to break the ice if you have a common interest.

If a convo doesn't keep going on forever, that's perfectly fine. Usually there's not much to talk about unless if our lives and hobbies are almost mutual and we can gab on about them for ages :lol:. Conversations are awkward at first for most, and that's normal.

18. Moxxy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i love new people talking to me, i really enjoy making new friends. i am not always very chatty but then other times i am, so sometimes my friends just want me to shut up!

either way im always hapy when someone new starts a conversation with me, online or outside. i just love meeting new people and being friends.

19. 4ever Hearth

This exactly and like I said above, I dont want to be a bother to anyone. And starting a convo with no basis seems so redundant to me.

I think I might just be picking with myself again. -looks at watch then calendar- Yup, its that time of the month again. :lol:

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2013 at 02:40 PM ----------

I loved this one. I'm definitely going to take this to heart. :grin:

20. Tim

Tim

xD I let spelling and grammar mistakes pass, because not everyone knows proper grammar, some people are dyslexic, etc. but when it gets to the extremes, I back away.