1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you advertise you are LGBTQ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Oregontinker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Oregontinker

I am curious how people advertise that they are LGBTQ. I personally have never had anyone guess that I was gay if I was not sending them some kind of obvious signal. So I have had to make choices to let people know I am gay outside of going to a gay bar. For me I wear a stainless steel bracelet that has a section of rainbow colored links, and I also wear two rings on my left thumb. I work in an envirorment where I am often required to dress nicely for meetings so I try to be suttle yet give people enough of a clue that they might ask if they have interest in the topic. Several of my friends dress in a way that gives you a pretty good clue and another just needs to talk to you for about 5 seconds and you would have little doubt he was gay.

I know that a lot of us are looking to meet that special person, how do you get the word out you are LGBTQ?

2. Eatthechildren

When people ask me if I'm queer, I respond so that they cant tell if im being sarcastic or not:
    guy: are you a lesbian
    me: 100% totes
    guy: ??

3. Hexagon

I wear a rainbow wristband sometimes, and I have 5 ear piercings. I intend to get some facial piercings as well.

4. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a rainbow bracelet, and thats about it. I am really involved in the LGBTQ society at my school and I think people are noticing through that as well.

I wish I knew how to make it very blatant to the average person. :/

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I don't. It's a part of me, but it isn't my whole identity.
    I will adress people who are sexist, homophobic etcetera.
    But I see no reason to advertise it. They can ask if they want to know.

6. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see your point, and that is how I used to be about it. The issue is that I know I wouldn't flirt with someone unless I knew or suspected highly that they are gay. Its hard to know how some people will react if someone of the same sex hit on them and they were not gay.

That being said, a simple bracelet is all I wear and I hope it will be enough for someone who was potentially interested in me to pick up on.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Fair point. In my case though that might give off the wrong signal, that I'm only intetested in guys.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have a rainbow pin on my messenger bag that says, "Don't ask, because I'll tell." I also have my "Interested in:" on Facebook listed as men. Yet people are still surprised when they find out. So I basically advertise it by not shying away from it when it comes up in conversation. Which is harder than you'd think. Those of us in sexual minorities are often pressured to not bring up our sexuality so that we don't "flaunt" it. But if you really look for it, straight people "flaunt" their sexuality all the time. So I just talk about it as openly as any straight person would.

9. Kyllani

I don't do much of anything to advertise it...yet. I'm having rainbow extensions put in my hair at the end of the month. I also just requested a friend make me a rainbow beanie even though it's almost summer.

10. robclem21

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wear 2 Gay Pride Rainbow Bracelets :slight_smile:

12. Adarya

I see no reason to advertise, but who am I to talk when I'm not even fully out of the closet yet.

I would imagine though that I wouldn't "advertise" or make myself out to be obvious. Sure, some people have already guessed that I'm gay- because I fit the stereotype, apparently- but I still wouldn't go out of the way to tell people that I'm a lesbian. If they ask me I would have no problem telling them the truth, and I plan to play a large part in my school's GSA, if possible. If people couldn't know from that I bet it would just spread like wildfire once other students found out about my sexuality.

13. Hefiel

Been considering buying myself a bracelet somewhere online (eBay probably) to "advertise myself". If I can't find them, well I'll have to act as a beacon of rainbow-colored light and attract them instead (Alright, I may be exaggerating a little here).

14. BornInTexas

^ :roflmao:

Well, today I decided to wear my pride bracelet. A lot of people noticed, more than I thought. :thumbsup:

15. bambam07

My friends like to mention my sexuality at least once a day, so I don't really have to advertise much. I used to have a legalize gay shirt that I adored but my dad trashed it :/

16. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't. Same way I don't advertise what music, sports, or food I like.

17. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Short hair can be a dead giveaway. Also I tend to wear masculine clothing a lot and apparently I give off a 'gay vibe'

18. Incognito10

I don't advertise it in any overt manner. I do have a marriage equality sticker on the back of my car, which I suppose who ever sees it and actually knows what it stands for would probably assume I am gay. However, a straight ally with a strong desire for social justice could also put a marriage equality sticker on their car as well.

19. Eliza

Eliza Guest

I hold hands with my partner in public.

I make friendly eye contact with other gay people in public.

When people say, "What did you do this weekend?" I say, "Ran some errands, cleaned the living room, took my special ladyfriend out for a movie."

When men show sexual interest in me, I say, "Sorry! I'm not into guys. I'm gay."

Like ya do.

20. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a rainbow peace sign on my purse as a key chain and will rarely but sometimes wear a rainbow charm bracelet.

I show these things off rarely because I don't really feel a need to be obvious about it. Especially since I'm working on myself right now rather than looking for a relationship.