1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was thinking about this and I want other's opinions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Sam

Sam

I was thinking about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. about all the great things he did to try and get equal rights for African americans. He was a man who fought with all he had to accomplish the civil rights that African americans deserved. Through all of it, people were beaten and arrested but him and his followers never gave up the fight. All the marches and rallies all of it and they never gave up, they kept fighting for the rights they knew they deserved. Wanting no more 2nd class citizenship but equality. It was a very terrible time and no human being should be treated so badly. All of it payed off though because evenually THEY WON! I don't think anybody can compare with Dr MLK Jr. but.....

Who is going to be our Dr. MLK Jr.? in other words who is going to be that person who stands out and is willing to help us fight for the right to be considered equal. Who, along with his/her followers is going to be willing to march continuously, be arrested, be beaten and not stop until WE WIN? I know people are fighting now and I support them but its going to take a lot more effort, more than we are doing now, more than we can possibly imagine.

After all when African americans were fighting there were a lot of people fighting against them like people are fighting against us today.

I want others opinions on this and feel free to disagree, just tell the reason you disagree and what you think it will take. I like discussion.

Also do you think the person who will fight for us is alive today? If so who do you think it is?

2. justjoshoh

I agree, there were lots of tribulations that Dr. King and those that participated in the civil rights movement endured. There were people that stood by them through those times of deep despair though. We need to invigorate the masses and bring the idea of "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" back to the forefront.

I think anyone of us can make come forth and make the movement work. We all have the potential to stand up and make that change. We must realize it within ourselves and more importantly be willing to act on it.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are right. The gay movement has no real icon that we are going to look back in the history books and see. I think several people have made important contributions but nobody really is in the forefront. Do we need an icon? I'm not sure.

4. Jim1454

I'm not sure we need one... at least not in the same way. Blacks were fighting for much more fundamental rights and freedoms than we would be. In fact, gays aren't any more disadvantaged than blacks are in some locations in the US I would think... despite the work of MLK Jr.

I'm not a US history buff, nor an expert on current social conditions for gays or blacks in the US... perhaps I'm misinformed...

5. justbeingme

i dont think we need an icon. people know we're here, and soon they will learn that if you piss off all the homosexuals, noone will do your hair :grin: lol jkjk but i really dont think we need any kind off "gay spokesperson", just some smart straight people.

6. SamAlex728