1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no answer on sites like myspace, facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Sam

Sam

What do you think, if someone doesn't have an answer for the orientation question on sites like myspace or facebook does that mean they are bi or gay and just don't want to say? There is a reason why I'm asking. It just seems to me that if you are straight why not answer the question and I think the only reason you wouldn't answer that question is if you aren't sure or you don't want to admit you are gay or bi online.

2. CaptainTrips

that sounds reasonable, or you may be questioning or you may just be lazy. its too little info (or lack thereof) to come to any conclusions

3. Sam

Sam

Well the reason I asked was because of a friend of mine who I like and I don't really think she is straight but I'm scared to ask

4. kevinx519

generally i wouldnt assume that those without an answer are gay/bi/questioning just because a majority of people are too lazy to update their profiles. most just leave it to the default information which doesnt include orientation. and sometimes they dont want so much information clogging the page. dont know. just my thoughts.

5. motleyjunkie

yea well sometimes if none of there info is filled out along with the no answer that just basically means he or she is lazy. but yea the first thing that pops into my mind when i see that on mysapce is that person is gay or bi. thats just my take on it,.

6. Tim

Tim

I know that's why I had no answer for the longest time :3 I know a few people who have it like that for the same reason XD

7. Fiorino

If they're gay, they could always put "looking for females" (or if it's a girl,
    "looking for males") to cover it up, so you never know. Personally,
    I did that and then took it off :slight_smile:

8. smilealways

smilealways Guest

I left it blank for a while. So yeah, there must be a few. :slight_smile:

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guilty of this. :grin:

There is no real way to know unless they tell you. As Fiorino said, they could just as easily put straight.

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

The only way you can really tell is if someone tells you, but I leave the "interested in" bit blank on Facebook, even though I have my relationship status down. I know of another lesbian who does the same. I know of a lesbian and a bisexual girl who leave "no answer" in the orientation space on MySpace.

So yes, I think that many LGBT people do do this - but it's not foolproof, and the only way you can tell really is if someone comes out to you.

11. RENThead

i have no answer on my myspace....

but, depending on the person, you would have to get to know them, if they are just lazy..
    also, if their page is kinda small, and not saying much... then it might meen they are trying to keep it uncluttered....

12. Time

For MySpace, I'm only suspicious when they have seemingly everything but orientation filled out.

13. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I kept mine blank. I also didn't refer to boys/girls in my profile, I refered to them as "Special Someone"s, until I came out anyways, then I changed it from nothing to BI. I just did it cause I don't wanna look like I lied about my orientation.

14. Thatsit

I'd say its possible, a lot of gay/bi people seem to do it
    like me haha. (Its still blank :/ ) :slight_smile:

15. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Mine is also blank. On both myspace and facebook...which I'm never on face book so it doesn't matter...but I'm always on myspace. But it will stay blank until I come out...I am just not a brave girl

16. Scaredboy728

While that is possible it is probably just that they do not think that their sexuality is anyones business

17. kramer362

I can't believe no one questioned me when I changed my facebook. Originally I had selected single and "interested in: women" for everything you can select (friends, relationship, hookup, etc).

Over a year ago now, I still hadn't accepted being gay so i figured i'd go for appearing asexual so i didn't have to pretend i was into girls, hahah. So I changed it and it no longer said whether I was single or interested in men or women, just that I wanted friendship.

Well I forgot that it had became 'stalkerbook' and would alert all your friends of every change you make to your profile etc, but only one person mentioned it to me. A female friend of mine said her jaw dropped when she saw... reason being the alert said i was no longer single haha (since I haven't dated anyone in years). She didn't even comment or seem to notice that it no longer said interested in women. The naivety of my christian friend not even considering I might be gay. :rolleyes: I bet other people have questioned me though.

18. wtan001

wtan001 Guest

yes i agree

19. pwnorton

Out of my 204 friends on facebook, only 4 do not have the "Interested In" space filled in (I know...I counted!) And one person is gay and the other is bi, so they indicate that on their profile. But I don't have the "Interested In" part filled in.

So I don't think that it is enough evidence to be sure, but yea...you could be suspicious

20. SkyTears

this isn't always fully true. if i go through my friends (i'm guessing because i'm to lazy to count) about 20/108 will not have an answer. but out of the "20" i know like 3 of my friends whom told me they are bi and like 3 which i'm pretty sure are lesbian/gay but haven't heard from. so that is like 11/20 who just don't answer. but then again i go to a school where you orientation means pretty much nothing so they might not even care to bother filling it out. [i point this out because that can probably make my list a bias]