1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence at my school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Day of Silence is somewhat a popular thing at my school. More than half of the LGBT kids are comfortable with being open about our sexuality and our straight friends would love to help speak out for us. Our GSA set up a table (started early this week on tuesday) and it said that we're gathering signatures of the amount of people that will be doing day of silence tomorrow. Over the course of three days, we got over 400 signatures (2600 kids at my school) :eusa_danc I'm wondering, do you guys do day of silence at your school?

2. Shiny Espeon

They started doing the Day of Silence my sophomore year. As I wasn't in the GSA (too many after school conflicts) I didn't know it was happening until the day was almost over. Same story Junior year. Senior year, I was going to participate, I even bought one of the shirts they made for it. But because I had a short bout of insanity (ie deciding to be the Editor in Chief of my high school newspaper) I had to talk in more than three fourths of my classes the day it fell on, and we had a worknight (to send the paper of to the publisher) that night too.

3. Hiems

My high school did not do Day of Silence.

However, one of my psychology classmates attended class, observing the Day of Silence by taping her mouth shut. Also, she pasted a sheet on the back of her shirt that stated why she had a taped mouth. It was cool to see an LGBT ally at my high school. I wanted to thank her for the support, but I was still not out at the time.

4. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    91 out of 161 kids at my school are doing it. One of the most talkative teachers in the school is also participating, so we'll see how that goes!

5. Nyanko

I've never heard about it, so my school obviously doesn't do it...it does sound interesting though, I might just try it.

6. madi

Our GSA also organizes things for the day of silence and we are doing stuff like handing out red tape tomorrow. I am disappointed however that my school decided to put spring fling and the spring sports assembly on the day of silence...I swear they did it on purpose.

7. What is Day of Silence for?

8. It is to protest how many LGBT people are "silenced" by the still-homophobic society about their sexuality so the straight allies and us decide to protest that by being physically silent for a day.