1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you look for financial stability in a relationship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Do you look for a man or woman for financial stability? Like do they need to have money for you to be happy with them?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Money would never be a factor for someone I'm interested in.

4. Perseus

No, money doesn't matter to me.

5. leer

its not that important to me money isnt everything

6. Luke Matt

No, never D:

I'd rather be poor & with the person that I love than rich & lonely.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

As I get older, yes it is. Especially if Im with a guy. I like the idea of the woman staying home and doing housework while the man goes out and works. This is my ideal

8. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Only in as much as I want them to be able to afford to do things together. I don't want to be in a relationship with some dole scrounging lazy bastard who is basically a parasite living off my salary!

My bf earns far less than me, but enough for us to enjoy a comfortable life without me needing to pay for absolutely everything.

Interesting to see that most saying money doesn't matter probably don't earn wages. I think their opinion would be different if they were earning and a potential partner wasn't.

9. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im not rich by any means, but I know how to budgget and spend responsibly. I dont need a rich guy, but id expect him at a minimum to be like that too. I dont want to have to support someone, and I dont expect to be supported. Financially that is.

10. DanD

Absolutely not. I think it would be possible to fall for someone homeless, and together, make things better for both parties.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No.
    I look for love, even if it means we have to live in a tent and beg.
    Love makes me happy. Not money.

12. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I do not look for wealth at all but do look for someone who wants to work or is working, I do not want to go out with someone who is lazy.

13. MetalAngel89

MetalAngel89 Guest

Apparently that should be what I look for lol, considering my history. But no, I have never.

14. catatonie

I lived in a car with my ex for a whole summer.
    Don't really give a fuck about money, it comes and goes.
    It's nice to afford indoor living

15. Hexagon

No. I look for mutual compatibility, compassion, intelligence, shared values etc. I couldn't care less about money. And I wouldn't feel comfortable with a person in a relationship who considered money important.

16. photoguy93

I find it interesting that you said "financial stability." You can be low income but still be stable.

Stability, in my mind, shows that someone can handle money and won't mooch off of me. That matters. Don't get me wrong - I want to help if someone is in need, but it shouldn't be a given.

I guess, it matters if mooching is part of the equation. If a guy is dependent on me, it isn't going to work.

17. Eric

I don't want to have to support my partner financially if that's what you mean. Likewise, I don't want my partner to support me. Wealth is sort of irrelevant to who I'd date.

18. FruitFly

Do I need money for happiness in a relationship? No. However part of our compatibility will come in the handling of money. To me financial stability is not necessarily them having money, but it is them understanding how to manage the money they have.

I'm aware that seeing my father and his inability to remain financially stable has coloured my view somewhat, but I would be hesitant to enter into a relationship with someone who did not understand the basics of money management. While my idealised view of the world means I'd rather money were not the driving force behind nearly everything I accept that in order to live in this particular society in the manner I prefer that financial stability of some sort is essential.

Having had to manage the finances of someone who did not understand that their "money doesn't matter" attitude meant very little to the people they owed money to before I have no desire to do that again. I became very, very frustrated with their lack of understanding that I didn't care if we lived on the streets, and I didn't care if they had no money, but I did care that they were spending their limited income on things that were not essential. I did not enjoy dealing with people who came to the door looking for their money and I did not enjoy having to pay their share of the bills as they'd spent all their money on a harp.

Even if someone were out of work and in receipt of benefits I would expect to see some sort of money management going on. I don't care about the money, I care about the attitude they have towards it. In a way I kind of have to make sure I do not end up living in a car/tent/on the streets. I have pets, and I want to make sure I'm giving them the best life I can. That is my responsibility. And I will do everything I can to make sure I am capable of giving them food, a home and veterinary treatment. That includes avoiding people who do not understand the need to manage their finances and achieve some sort of stability in the financial sense.

Of course if we could reach the stage where we were relatively self sufficient in terms of energy generation, food supply, water and such then finances matter less but even then I'd be looking at the stability of our supplies and determining whether there is a need to ensure the savings are topped up on a regular basis to ensure we're financially covered should everything fail and we need the money.

19. Jared

I don't look for someone wealthy, but I wouldn't want to be dating someone I'm having to support because they are too lazy to work or manage they're money. But then again I find laziness to be a huge turn off so I probably wouldn't be attracted to someone who I'd have to support.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Cornella93. I don't want to be supporting someone who can't get it together to hold a job or be financially responsible. But, that said, I wouldn't care one whit whether they make 20K a year or 250K a year. If we wanted to do something (say a major vacation or something) and I had the income to afford it for both of us but he didn't, I'd be happy to cover the expense... as long as he's being productive and not relying on me as his source of income.