1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Brett, Apr 3, 2008.

?

Do you plan to participate in the Day of Silence?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2008.
  1. I would like to, but I can't.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Yes

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. No

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Undecided

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Brett

It's a little early to be posting a thread about the Day of Silence, but if I'm gonna do it I need to get started now.
    So, as many of you know, the Day of Silence is when the GLBT community and its supporters do not talk for one day. This can be either for the whole day, or a selected period of time durring that day. The Day of Silence is to take place on Friday the 25th of April this year, and I do plan to participate.
    The only problem is that my school has officially joined a number of schools that refuses to embrace the holiday, and I needed to know how I, or anyone else in this kind of situation would go about getting the school's permission to participate.
    Thank you in advance!
    BreTt

2. Sam

Sam

hmm I don't know but can't you just stay silent and if anybody has a problem they can deal with it. maybe you can just write on a piece of paper that you aren't talking, can they kick you out of school for the day for not talking? surely not. I don't know. I actually have to admit that I have never heard of a day of silence for the community before but now that I have I might just have to participate.

3. motleyjunkie

yea one of my friends told me about it *lostinthought9*. im going to try it. its gonna be so hard. because i kinda talk alot :/. and plus i have to go to school that day and i know that when the day of silence come everyone on the frikkin planet will want to talk to me. jeeez. that was longer than expected.

4. Brett

Sorry if I was a little unclear about the reason that I need permission. I'm pretty sure that unless I'm willing to go to alternative school, I need to get permission from the principal so that I don't get in trouble with my teachers for refusing to talk.

5. lostinthought9

where is the list of schools that are and aren't participating in the day of silence?

6. Brett

7. Sam

Sam

Well maybe you can talk to your principal but you are from texas which is kind of like oklahoma on gay issues (not supportive) I would talk to your principal and tell him/her why you feel the need to do this. Hopefully it will work out for you but I know how it is in states like ours.

8. Brett

T-T.....That's, unfortunately, true. That's why I'm starting this thread now. If I wait too long, I won't be able to convince my principal to let me in time to acctually celebrate the holiday......

#8 Brett, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  9. wandrinpilgrim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would love to, and in many ways am going to, but tragically I can't really do it. I go to a private school that I love, but I would most likely get kicked out if they found out I was gay. So, I will do my best to honor those who have died and will be reverent and quiet in spirit.

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I'm all for it. I don't talk much anyway, though, so I don't know how many people will notice, but to natural selection with getting permission. Write on an index card explaining why you aren't talking and show it to any teacher who tries to get you to speak up.

Also, that's quite a lot of Californian schools on the removed list. Odd.

And:

I'd like to know who was responsible for the naming.

11. RENThead

i would love to.
    that could be interesting... a hole day without talking.. like, 24hours
    it would be a challenge... but i could do it... 25th.. here i come!

12. Time

Holy shit! My school is on that list! =O
    Does that mean that students can't individually participate?
    I really want to.

13. Antonio252

i would love to but the only problem is that I can't shut up for more than ten minutes. I'm still going to try anyways.

14. STK

STK Guest

Mine's not on that list... Which is a surprise, since it's a Catholic high school. Still, I don't know if I can do this totally. I could be a silent as possible and talk only when it's absolutely necessary.

By the way, religion sucks balls.

#14 STK, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  15. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'd participate (even though I'm at college, rather than school, and in the UK etc, but I would like to in terms of transnational solidarity), but to partipate might well out me... oh, the irony. :frowning2:

16. I might, but ours is on the 30th of april, not the same day as everyone else =\ so its weird.