1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any lacto-ovo Vegetarians?(:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AsIUsedToBe, Apr 19, 2013.

1. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a new lacto-ovo Vegetarian. [An ovo-lacto vegetarian (or lacto-ovo vegetarian) is a vegetarian who does not eat animal flesh of any kind, but consumes dairy and egg products.]
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or food ingredients i should stay away from. :icon_bigg

2. ameliawesome

i'm vegan but i could potentially help you if you have any specific questions about what does/does not come from animals :slight_smile:

3. Ridiculous

Isn't that just a vegetarian.

4. Wolfie Charm

Nope. There's different kinds of vegetarians. Then there's vegans.

5. Music Heals

Hi! I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and I have been since I was eight! So I've got tons of good food tips.

First off is gelatin. Jello, a lot of jelly beans, marshmallows, and various other products use it, so steer clear of it! (Gelatin is made using animal hooves). Morning star makes a ton of really good meat imitations out of soy, so if you're not a tofu person, this is where the great stuff is!

Learn to love eating pasta with marinara sauce or butter, because this is generally what I end up eating whenever I eat out. Or nachos. Every restaurant is different, but in general, cute little hometown diner type places don't serve anything vegetarian with the exception of pancakes or whatever.

Whole foods is pretty much my favorite store because everything there is either healthy, vegan, or both! They have good frozen things, soy products, tofu, fresh fruit, and an entire section of already prepared stuff, like chunks of flavored tofu in noodles. It's yummy.

Most recipes you like you can try and substitute with veggie meat. For example, I crumble up morning star sausage patties in my food for a dinner of biscuits and gravy. Another thing is pot roast(which was my favorite food before I became a vegetarian). Surprisingly enough, it can be made using seitan, which is like a bready meat substitute. It's a little strange, but I like it.

I know some people that adore boca burgers and the like, but I personally have never liked the taste of them.

Good luck with your new lifestyle! It seems annoying and pointless at times, but in the end it's really worth it!

6. Ridiculous

But barring things like gelatin as mentioned above and food colouring and wine filtering and other minutiae, the main difference between vegetarians and vegans is that one eats eggs and dairy products while the other doesn't - so explicitly labelling it as 'lacto-ovo' seems redundant to me as it's already presumed.

I can understand having a different label for something like pescatarianism, but lacto-ovo vegetarian seems about the same as saying I'm a omnivore that also eats meat.

(as you can tell I'm a bit irritated by all these labels people keep coming up with)

7. Hopeful

I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian and have been most of my life! I do agree with Ridiculous: if it comes up in conversation, I say "I'm a vegetarian" but when questioned as to what I eat I specify and say "ovo-lacto". It surprises me how many people say "well, do you eat fish?" - if I said I'm ovo-lacto-pescatarian or something to the sort, then that would imply fish. Ovo-lacto doesn't.

What do you think: I usually eat jello and marshmallows if we're having s'mores or eating jello for dessert. Does this mean I'm not a vegetarian? I've sort of thought it means I'm not that strict, but I DO avoid eating things with chicken stock and any other meat. I guess I've thought it "okay" to eat the marshmallows and jello because they aren't "meat" in the sense that I'm eating a hot dog. It's just an ingredient. I'd love your input!

8. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are multiple types of vegetarians.
    Vegans
    A vegan is one who rejects all forms of animal product, including those that fall under dairy. Eggs are also a strict no-no as part of the diet.

Fruitarians
    As the name suggests, fruitarians only indulge in food sources that qualify as fruits although including add-ons like seeds and nuts in some cases.

Lacto-ovo Vegetarians
    This kind of vegetarian believe in eating only vegetable-based food but indulge in eggs/dairy products.

Lacto Vegetarians
    These vegetarians (aka lactarians) allow dairy products into their diet, but exclude the inclusion of eggs as part of the diet.

Pollo Vegetarians
    A pollotarian as this form of vegetarianism is also called, is where poultry and in some cases fish, is consumed.

Pescetarian
    A pescetarian is one who consumes anything that they wish to, but abstains from meat of all kinds except fish and in some cases
    And the list goes on, lol.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2013 at 03:05 AM ----------

You would still count as a vegetarian to me.:slight_smile:
    It's all about personal perspectives.
    For me I'm trying to stay away from gelatin, and a bit of a long list of others. xD haha

9. Hexagon

I am. I keep trying to go vegan, but I haven't managed yet :frowning2:. I'm doing better though, the only dairy I eat now is cheese.

Be careful of sweets, which may have gelatin in them.
    Be careful of jello, which has gelatin in unless otherwise specified.
    Be careful of parmesan, which has animal rennet in it (that is the only cheese in my area with rennet, but other areas might not be so good)
    Be careful of gravy, which often has carcass derived products in it, but doesn't always
    Oh, and don't eat animals. Thats all I can think off. Good luck.

#9 Hexagon, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  10. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Hehehehe :grin: Sorry but as soon as you said that my mind went straight to Scott Pilgrim vs The World! :grin: "Being vegan just makes you better than everybody else" :grin:

11. Hexagon

Me? No, I don't think that.

12. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i eat meat & feel guilty about it but don't care enough to change :x

13. Hexagon

Have you tried Quorn?

14. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah, but the problem i have is just apathy/laziness rather than any opposition to changing my diet

15. Hexagon

Ah.

Just curious. How can you feel guilt and apathy at the same time?

16. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahaha! Your a ve~gone now you must be~gone!

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    basically, i feel guilty when i think about the consequences of my eating meat [deforestation, the conditions of the animals and so on], but i haven't translated that into doing anything b/c i'm lazy & don't care enough about anything i guess

18. Niko

I'm a Pescetarian. :T I plan on giving up fish one day though.

19. Hexagon

Ah.

20. DoriaN

I'm a meatitarian... it's a personal choice.

Do meat lovers get funky names for how many and what kinds we eat?