1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexual

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partmin123, Apr 19, 2013.

1. partmin123

partmin123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    What is pansexual. I hear the term all the time, and yet I don't know what it means.:icon_redf:confused:

2. hiddenxrainbows

It means different things to different people. TECHNICALLY, bisexual means you're into TWO sexes; male and female. And pan means all. So to some, pansexual means that the person is not only into cis males and cis females, but also any type of trans/nonbinary people. Tho some bi people argue that just because they call themselves bi doesn't mean they couldn't fall for a trans person.

Other people believe that pansexual means the person is basically genderblind. They don't really pay attention to anyone's gender at all, they only pay attention to personalities. Tho others would argue that definition isn't right because it makes everyone else seem like gender and appearance is all they care about.

The definition just really depends on the person you're asking.

3. partmin123

partmin123 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    But isn't loving both sexes bisexual?

4. hiddenxrainbows

Yes that's what bisexual means. Technically. Just liking males and females. Tho a lot of bi people do get pissed of when pan people try saying stuff like that. They get offended because some pans try defining bisexuality for them, saying they can't be attracted to trans people because they're not cis men or women.

Oooh also, some people say that pansexual isn't really anything great, it's just a political statement for people to say that they accept trans, or that the word bisexuality is too mainstream now and they needed another "newer" word...

5. cassexy

cassexy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i am a bisexual, i would love to be a pan sexual too

6. Hexagon

Yeah, pan means all genders, bisexual means two. Personally, I describe myself as bi for the consumption of the general public, and as pansexual among transpeople and in LGBT settings that have more of a focus on sexuality rather that on a community of LGBT people.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^this^

8. Eatthechildren

Pansexual means attraction to all genders.
    Bisexual means attraction to your gender and other genders.

I'm Bisexual and Pansexual

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always thought heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality focused on the person's sex, regardless of gender identification. Would it undermine a trans person's identity to see them as a part of the two sex binary? After all, they are one of the many types of men and women...

10. Hexagon

ftms and mtfs are part of the binary, and theoretically people who are attracted to women should be attracted to transwomen, and so on. Unfortunately, people are not always openminded or comfortable with dating transpeople.

A transperson who is not mtf or ftm is not part of the binary.

The reason I describe myself as pansexual among transpeople is not because I include transpeople as some kind of 'third gender' or something, but simlpy because I want to say that I'm trans*positive.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alright then, suppose a gay man or a lesbian was attracted to a pre-op transwoman or transman but was also unaware of their gender. Would this be offensive or invalidating for a trans person? In fact, this could go for anyone who doesn't identify as simply male or female.

It wouldn't make much of a difference to me, since I don't discriminate against sex or gender, though there was one girl I had a crush on, only to find out years later she was transitioning into a man. It changed things, for lack of a better term, and I wouldn't even recognize her if I hadn't been told.

Keep in mind I'm still questioning, with leanings towards bisexuality, and possibly genderqueer as well.

12. Hexagon

Yeah, it kinda would be upsetting. On the other hand, if someone is still presenting as their assigned gender, while it would still be upsetting to receive unwanted sexual attention, the person experiencing the attraction can hardly be blamed.

Sorry... but if the person you met is transitioning into a guy, then you should refer to him as he.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I understand. Would a pansexual or transgendered person also feel a shift in attraction to find a former crush of theirs identifies and presents as someone totally different years later? I feel shallow for admitting it, but it's almost like the person I knew before is gone completely. It kind of happened suddenly and without 'warning'.

14. Hexagon

Perhaps it might help you to think that the 'girl' you knew never really existed. This is, however, a problem faced by everyone who knows a transitioned person, not just someone with a crush. A few people, like my best friend, handle it well, and others, like my parents, don't. My parents have been holding on to their little illusion of a daughter that never really existed. They don't know me well, and they never have. Anyway, that was slightly off topic.

I don't know exactly what you mean by a shift in attraction. But if you're asking whether a pansexual is attracted to a transman as a man or as a woman, the answer is man.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, that's not what I meant to say. You often hear of bisexuals explaining to others that their attractions aren't always 50/50, experienced the same way, or even attracted to the same exact qualities in both sexes. This makes me wonder if pansexuals also experience a degree of variety in their attractions to those of different sexual and gender backgrounds, though someone's gender or sex might not play a *huge* role in their attractions of others. You did say everyone.

With trans people, is it also common for them to have a tough time dealing with another trans person's transition? Suppose one identifies as a heterosexual transman, who is smitten by a supposedly heterosexual woman, who actually, sometime down the road, makes a transition to a gay man. I'm sure in these cases, even with the extra understanding that comes from a similar situation, there would be some difficulties in accepting the change.

16. Hexagon

Ah, sorry. I don't actually know the answer to that question. Though as I suppose given that pansexuality is less about gender than bisexuality, there is less likely to be preferences.

Uh... yeah, it might be difficult for the transguy in question, if he's heterosexual. He might decide to stay with his boyfriend out of love rather than sexual attraction, or they might break up. The extra understanding woud certainly help though.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is quite irksome when someone asks 'Isn't pansexuality the same thing as bisexuality?' or says, 'Well, pansexuals are just bisexual hipsters'. Still, I had to ask if pansexuals experienced sexual attraction similar to bisexuals... I assumed there would be at least some sway in their attractions and wondered if the whole 'gender blind' was just a term. Tell me, could a pansexual be attracted to a certain expression of gender more so than another? For example, body types, clothing, and mannerisms considered masculine or feminine in their society?

18. Hexagon

It could be, I guess. Maybe. I don't know - I can only really talk from my own experience, and personally, I like pretty much everybody. Maybe someone else can contribute?

19. hiddenxrainbows

Umm I just think it depends on the person and what being pan means to them. I have my preferences, I admit.I seem to like girls more, and most of the guys I find attractive are more feminine. I also think transgendered people are pretty cool too. I just haven't had the fortune to meet many.

20. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Some differences between bisexuality and pansexuality

One of the comments:

Other interesting articles by RadicalBi:
    Why I identify as bisexual and not pansexual
    Cissexism and transphobia in bisexual communities
    Words, binary, and biphobia, or: why 'bi' is binary but 'FTM' is not

Also: Stuff pansexuals need to know