1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...rainbow phase?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eliza, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Eliza

Eliza Guest

When I first started coming out to people, a lot of them chuckled and said, "Ohhhh man. You're gonna go through the RAINBOW PHASE."

I was like, "What's the rainbow phase?"

They said, "Just wait. You'll see."

But it's been a while and I don't seem to have gone through anything I would call a rainbow phase.

Is it possible that I went though it and didn't notice because I was SO RAINBOWY I couldn't even see all the rainbow that was happening?

Or did I miss my rainbow phase and that means I am forever stuck in the coming out process because you can't be a fully grownup gay until you've thoroughly rainbowed out?

Did you go through a rainbow phase? What was it like?

2. LD579

Er... Is this a joke? I honestly cannot tell. If it is a joke, and I'm too dense to get it, I apologize.

With that said... There is no such thing as a rainbow phase.

3. Eliza

Eliza Guest

I'm asking the question in earnest, but now that I think about it, it's possible that my friends were messing with me.

But three different people mentioned it, independently of each other, so I thought it was an acknowledged thing in the gay community.

4. FruitFly

I don't understand what this rainbow phase is :astonished:. Is it that period of time where you feel obliged to deck yourself in rainbows and join all the LGBTQ things you can find? If so I totally understand that being called the rainbow phase and why that may be a thing, so many people do seem to go a bit ... erm, completely rainbowesque when they first come out.

#4 FruitFly, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. cassexy

cassexy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, there is no rainbow, perphaps it is meant for bisexuals for me, who can have both males and females and enjoy their bodies and their bodies for fullfillment, it means you can have all where you do enjoy

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of makes sense to me, and from what I've been reading here at EC, as a beginner, there is certainly some aspect of wanting to do things LGBT-related in a kind of intense way.

I have lived long enough to have passed through a certain number of projects that include a measure of enthusiasm, I can see where, over the long term, I will settle into a certain pattern of habits that include being gay, yet there will no longer be the need to make a fuss.

Other projects will no doubt take over (but with the difference that I'll be living with a completely different understanding of myself). The consciousness of being gay will no doubt become part of my mental framework but will no longer occupy such a large proportion of my thoughts. A sad prospect in a way, as I am enjoying this rainbow-ride quite a bit!

7. Aielar

This makes sense to me, and I'm pretty sure that's the phase I'm in right now. I have a rainbow flag in my room, two rainbow bracelets, a rainbow shot glass, and a rainbow tumblr cup to 'announce' my sexuality to the world at large.

8. BornInTexas

I don't think there is a rainbow phase. Rainbows are just cool...

9. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Oh, I've been super focused on gay stuff, and you're right, it kind of consumes my life right now. I was embarrassed about that for a while, but I don't think I can do anything about it. There's so much to learn and think about and so many thoughts to sort out. It's exhausting.

Maybe they were thinking of something like Aielar described, but I've never felt it necessary to buy rainbow stuff because I already look like what most people imagine when they think about lesbians. That was hard to come to terms with, actually, and it meant that people were reading me as gay long before I felt good about it.

But I am feeling for the first time that I like myself and I like being gay and I like the way I look, and I'm not worried about the way people see me. If my partner and I go out wearing each other's clothes, for example, I just laugh about it. Like, "Yep! That's what we do sometimes. Lesbians!"

I also get really aggressive when I feel like other gays are saying something self-hating. Like to the point where I wonder if I'm obnoxious.

Does that count?

#9 Eliza, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  10. WhisperedShadow

Heh, I've liked rainbows for years, even before I realized I wasn't straight. So I dunno. I still really like my rainbows, so who knows?