1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who pays on dates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Time, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Time

I have a date tonight with this really sweet guy and we're going to the movies, but I'm not sure what to do about paying. I would prefer to go "Dutch" and each of us pay our own way. I think it would be awkward to let him pay or for me to pay for both of us. I was wondering if anyone else had some input to share based on previous experience.

Also..how do you bring that up beforehand without it being too awkward?

And one more thing...has anyone seen Shutter? Is it any good? That's what we're seeing.

2. Louise

Who invited who? If you are the one doing the inviting you can easily say 'since this is our first time is it ok with you if we go Dutch, next time is on me'. That gives you the chance to see if there is a next time and his reaction to your suggestion.

If he is doing the inviting then you should just tell him that as this is the first time you would prefer to pay for yourself.

Anyway, that's what I would do. Have a great time whatever you decide.

PS no I haven't seen Shutter... sorry can't help you there.

3. Time

I like that "since it's our first time". I'll probably say that when I bring it up.

I asked him.

4. RENThead

is it a first date?
    if you feel wierd about both paying seperately, maybe you ask him to get the ticket, and you will pay for the food/drinks (the local cinema's near me, the prices work out the same)

5. CrimsonThunder

Good suggestions.

I don't go out on dates but when I go out with my friends naturally one person pays then the next time we go out someone else pays.

Other times I'll buy the food then the other person will buy the desert.

Not sure if its different on a date.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should each pay for yourselves and have a good time. Who should pay should be the least of your worries. Have a good time.

7. Time

What else is there to worry about?! :frowning2:

8. Louise

Absolutely nothing! Just go and have a good time. :kiss:

9. Beebo

parents

10. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

If it were me and I was really interested in the boy I would be doing the paying, possibly denying payment from the boy. I'm kind of oldschool like that. If its more of a casual date (where you don't like the boy a lot, but just want to see what he is all about), then I would suggest you both paying your own way.

Also, when I take people out to the movies while visiting home, my parents will usually toss me $20 to have a good time, even though I hold a job and can afford it. So if your parents have wads of money I would try that approach as well.

11. Time

We ended up going Dutch and paying separately which worked out really nicely. I didn't even have to say anything. It was an unspoken agreement. We went to separate counters.

The movie was, to be completely honest, not very good.

But that didn't matter too much. We held hands for about 75% of it, and talked before and after. It was fun. ^_^

12. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Grats, sounds like a damn good movie to me! Details?!

13. Micah

Even though the issue is resolved, I usually split the bill with my dates in a different way:

If we go out for dinner and a movie, if they insist on paying for dinner, then when we get to the movie, I'll insist on paying for the movie. This way you've both split the bill pretty much 50:50 AND you both feel flattered because you both paid for each other :wink:

It's a win win really ;p

14. tehnathan

I echo what Micah said - to me, it is always negotiable, and usually 50/50.

My boyfriend and I take turns paying for movies, dinner and food.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speaking very generally, whoever asked should at least make a move to pay. The person who was asked should then block that move, and insist that things be split evenly. Or, as someone else said, if the asker is paying for dinner, he should say "OK, but let ME pay for the movie tickets and snacks."

It's a bit of a "dance", but a lot of social etiquette is like that. :slight_smile:

After the first date, you should be comfortable enough with each other to bring it up. You should probably either go Dutch, or do the "I pay for this, you pay for that" thing, unless one of you clearly has more money than the other. If one of you has a great job or really generous parents, and the other's trying to make do on a $5 a week allowance, then it's clear who should start paying for a larger share. :slight_smile: But it'll be up to the richer one to make that move. The poorer one shouldn't go "OK, Uncle Moneybags, cough up."

Lex

16. Grantious

ha ha ha
    I've got a date 2moz which i'm way excited about he's paying... mainly because i can't ROFL
    W00T

17. PEEKINGOUT

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Seeing How I Am Only Attracted To Very Submissive, And Extremely Feminine Men, If I Went Out On A Date With A Guy I Would Certainly Pay...definitly, Without A Doubt...it Would Be Like Taking A Chick Out, I Wouldnt Expect Her To Pay. Eventually, If It Worked Out He Would Be Like My "girl" And Me His "man"...i Guess Thats How It Would Work.(at Least Thats How It Works In My Fantasies)

18. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one who has the most money, or the older one. That's the usual here.