1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*bangs head on monitor in frustration*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sinopaa, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ignorance of some people is beyond astounding I swear. After work I put on a nice dress, did myself up real cute, and went into Hardees to buy breakfast. Walking in I had a guy open the door for me and say "here you go ma'am", so I was fairly confident that I was passing. Before I could even open up my mouth to order the lady behind the counter said "how can I help you sir". I was just called ma'am 5 seconds prior; so to be called out that quickly without even opening my mouth baffled me. So I asked her point blank "Why did you call me sir?". You want to know what her response was? "I'm sorry. You're tall, so I wasn't really sure."

Normally I wouldn't lose my cool over being sir'd, but hearing such a ridiculous reason being given just pissed me off. :bang: So I said to her "Tell me, do you judge everyones gender based on height? Why even use a pronoun if you have no idea? Or do you just assume that all tall girls who wear dresses are guys? Even if I was a guy, am I not presenting myself as a woman? Did you not think that calling someone identifying as a woman sir would hurt their feelings?" Needless to say I left her with a deer in headlights look. The manager came up and gave me an apology for her derping and chastised her. But I swear, the lack of common sense with some people...

2. sillyolme

Oh wow... Are people really that stupid??? Wow....

3. Hexagon

*hands bandage for head*
    *hands new monitor*

I'm sorry, that must suck. It is a really terrible reason, I agree. There are plenty of tall cis-women, and even if you're the tallest woman alive, which is unlikely, its completely unreasonable to misgender someone based on height.

The best thing to do is to have no idea what they're talking about.

(*hug*)

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is just awful. Good thing you actually said something about it. So at least she won't be so stupid a next time a tall female walks in.

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly I've ran into some shear ignorance since coming out, but this server just took the cake. I can't fathom how someone could garner that height = male. There's just no connection. However, I can see how her vast wisdom led her to being a fast food cashier. :dry:

Thanx! (*hug*) I can accept being called out over my voice sounding too low, but ugh...my brain hurts trying to figure this one out. There's no logic! :tears:

I'm thinking about talking to the manager about what their transgender customer policies are. I can handle being sir'd; but I would hate to see an innocent girl who is trying to fit in breaking down over one of their servers shear ignorance.

6. Sapphy

Good on you for saying something to her, people can be so thoughtless!

7. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my thats soo stupid.People tend to hurry to put labels and call people things without even thinking twice.You GO girl!You did right to put things to their place.Im sure now she will think twice and thrice before she say something so stupid and nonsense!

8. sillyolme

Hahaha Yes!

9. Hexagon

Lol

10. Ticklish Fish

lol, a wild derp appeared!...

11. MetalAngel89

MetalAngel89 Guest

wow, she had no idea and you made her feel like shit for it. it is really hard to tell sometimes you know, i accidentally opened the men's bathroom for a woman once and i felt bad enough, but if she would've yelled at me, i probably would've started crying right there at work.
    I'm sorry I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I had to say something.

12. Hitch

Never call someone sir or ma'am if you work in retail or the food industry. On the rare occasion you mess it up the person that you did it to is going to take it personally. That's an awkward situation for you. She probably just wanted to get out of the situation and just said the first thing that came to her mind.

You don't want people to equate being tall with being a male but you equate being a fast food cashier with low wisdom. C'mon now. I'm sure you're just frustrated but you had a real opportunity to educate her on what it is to be transgender and you dropped the ball. Not trying to be mean but we can't just assume everybody understands what us of the LGBT community are going through. We have to educate people when the opportunities present themselves.

#12 Hitch, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see women well above 5'11" at school on a daily basis. There is no rule that states 'you must be this tall/short to be a man/woman'.

Is heightist even a word?

14. Hexagon

I'm sorry, but how hard is it to tell that its appropriate to call someone in a dress 'she' or 'ma'am'. Even if the OP wasn't passing, and by her own account she was, any sensitive person should see that its obvious she should have been called she. Also, it is a stupid reason, and if people are never told about stuff, how are they supposed to learn?

15. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I agree with MetalAngel. Just because someone is wearing a dress doesn't mean that person's a girl. Now you're stereotyping. My friend wore dresses as a kid but always thought of himself as cisgender.
    The woman made a simple mistake and the OP pretty much ruined her day by bullying her.
    For the record, height is not a reason to immediately assume someone's sex, but it's a pretty good indicator. Probably, the woman thought OP looked masculine and was trying to cover her mistake with another reason to not upset OP.

16. 461 467

It sounds like you are overreacting to something rather meaningless in your life. There are more important things to worry about than cashiers calling you sir at restaurants. The reason you were given for having been mistaken for a man was that you were tall. If she had said that you looked androgynous or had distinctive male features, then that would be one thing, but this is clearly an absurd judgement of genders, so it really isn't worth worrying about.

However, it begs the question, do you have male features that give people a reason to believe you are not a woman? The cashier may have just given you the "too tall" excuse because she didn't want to offend you by saying that you looked like a man.

17. Gen

Gen

I sympathize with you, but I will have to agree with MetalAngel89.

Most people have had their gender mistaken atleast once. I've had nearly fully shaved hair and light facial hair, and I was still mistaken for a women by someone who wasnt paying attention. I'm sure this woman didnt analyze your entire appearance than decide to go with sir if everyone else saw you as female. She mostly likely was focused on things elsewhere.

I can understand how this could have been upsetting, I just dont see this thread of discuss how apparantly stupid and ignorant this woman is for making a mistake that happens all of the time is justified. Of course women can be tall, but in general they tend to have smaller builds. Probably why I have been mistaken for a women by people who arent paying attention or if I'm wearing a hood.

18. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bah, I can tell what this is turning into. I don't feel like a trans vs cis thread. I do apologize for my cashier comment, but I won't apologize for chastising the girl. My only point is if you don't know then simply don't use a pronoun. Period. Guessing gives you a 50% chance of being wrong. As for my facial features, no. I'm technically a human chimera, so I have a tall womans build with facial hair that I can easily cover up. I'm in a fairly foul mood still, so I won't continue.

#18 Sinopaa, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, she has every right to be upset by the comment. I've been mistaken for female, even called a woman by bullies and assholes several times before, but that comes with the territory (height, body type, longer-than-average hair, androgynous features, and 'gentle' mannerisms; think Teru Mimaki from Death Note). I can see how a transperson, especially one who put so much effort into passing would be a little peeved for being mistaken for a member of the opposite gender. We don't know what the OP has been going through, and she might even be dealing with enough added stress in life that she finally 'popped'.

If you wouldn't normally react that way, it could be considered overreacting.

20. Hexagon

First of all, didn't you even stop to think about how upsetting this can be for the person being misgendered? I know its difficult for people who aren't trans to understand, but they way if feels, at least to me, is that you're being told you're a freak and your identity is completely invalid. It isn't just a simple mistake, and apart from the emotional affect on the person being misgendered, it may put them in danger. Have you heard of transgender remembrance day?

And it isn't actually about whether someone identifies as a woman or a man, its about whether someone is presenting as a woman. Wearing a dress is presenting as female and even if someone has a few male-ish features (and the OP says she doesn't), they're still presenting as female, and any idiot can see they want to be referred to as a woman.