1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you turn your cell phone off on airplanes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do you turn airplane mode on for airplanes?

1. Yes, I turn airplane mode on/I turn the phone off

36 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No, I don't turn it on and I never crashed

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. No, I don't turn it on, and I crashed and died

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Hexagon

I saw the other cell phone post, and read the first part and thought it was asking about airplanes. Then I read the second part, and it was about sleeping. So I asked one about airplanes.

2. Niko

I do, only because it saves battery life. :slight_smile:

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Airplane mode. This way I can still use the gameboy emulator on it.

4. prism

Given that this rule is routinely neglected and that there have been no reported complications with cellphone use as the cause, probably not.

I normally turn off my phone and at least hide my mp3 player in my sleeve. Flight attendents' jobs suck enough without being hassled by rude passengers. They don't want to have to tell you to put your cell phone away for the second time, but they have to follow the same rule whether it's true or not.

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Pretty much this. There isn't any evidence supporting the idea that cell phones or any electronics cause problems, but it's not worth arguing with the flight attendants over, especially since you won't get anywhere and might just make the other passengers hate you.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I voted that I turned it off, although that's more in theory than practice. That is, what I'd do if I flew. I haven't actually flown since cell phones became standard. Actually, the last time I flew Ronald Reagan was not only in office, but enjoying his first term. It's been a while... From the "how awful flying has become" stories I hear, I don't think I'm really missing much!

7. FruitFly

I abhor flying, it makes me nervous and causes me to stress out. Although logic tells me that everyone ignores the rule and nothing bad has happened that can be connected to people not turning their phone off/switching modes my stressy nervous attitude towards flying means I turn it off, sit in my seat, and try to ignore the fact I'm in a flying machine.

8. I put it on, but mainly so it doesn't start charging me for roaming when I land.

9. starfish

Yes I do. Though once I had a brain fart, and just locked the phone instead of turning it off. I had the phone in my backpack in the overhead. We landing about 100ft off the ground and my phone starts ringing. Oops, busted.

There was another time I was reading a book on my nook and listening to my iPod. I feel this thud. I look out the window, we had just landed. I was so engrossed in my book, that I did not hear the announcement to turn off electronics. I am surprised I flight attendant did not tell me to turn off the nook.

10. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have it on airoplane mode all the time so I can listen to music , including when your meant to have it completely off for landing and take off oh well I like my music too much

11. timo

No. Even though I've only been on a plane once (okay, twice, the journey home does count too) I didn't turn off my phone and I don't see the point in doing so. I don't actually use it during a flight though.

Next month I'll be flying to Stockholm but I won't turn off my phone during the flight (but neither will I use it)

12. Alexander69

Nope I use airplane mode perfectly safe i asked the piolet! Plus we take jets a lot not public planes sometimes we take public

13. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

I ALWAYS, turn my phone off, when flying. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2013 at 05:16 AM ----------

I voted: "I turn the phone off". :slight_smile:

#13 BrokenGuy, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  14. Hexagon

I've turned airplane mode on before to conserve battery, but I've also not switched modes, and I never crashed.

15. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Off under 10k feet, on in airplane mode otherwise for music/games.

16. Dalmatian

I always put it to airplane mode. It saves a lot of energy since getting bad signal tells the phone to max the output power. I did try it once when I was high above clouds, but flying over my country; I got the network listed, but I couldn't connect, which probably makes sense as at that speed network cells literally fly past you.

Of course, from safety point, it doesn't have any influence on the plane. I think there has been research done on that. However, maybe it was different before, with analog phones and (I guess) greater output power. I don't know.

The rule "all electronics off", on the other hand, is ridiculous. I got told to shut down my Kindle. I did, as someone else said, because air attendants have better things to do then argue with me.

17. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    On the couple flights I've been on over the past year, the no electronics rule was only during takeoff and landing (below 10k feet), so it's not really all that bad. I mean, it's a bit annoying, and I can see it being more stressful for people afraid of flying, but it's by no means horrible. No, the rule shouldn't exist at all because it's pointless, but it's bearable until someone beats it into the right skulls that we can get rid of it.

18. Dalmatian

No, sure, I meant just "buckle-up sign on" times. It's not bad, of course. It's just pointless :slight_smile:

19. MixedNutz

A lot of planes have wifi now and they encourage you to use that.

Do you even get signal on planes?

20. BudderMC

Seeing as I just use my phone for texting/calling and I'm not going to get reception in the middle of the air... yes, I turn it off.