1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Camp

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 1Jake2, Apr 21, 2013.

1. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking of maybe going to summer camp with some of my friends. I'm just a little nervous of actually going. Like most summer camps, boys sleep in a big room with the boys and girls sleep in a big room with girls. I don't know if I'm the one that would feel a little awkward, or I'm scared that other people feel awkward. And people feeling awkward makes me feel awkward so there's just a vicious circle of awkwardness going around in my head. I'm not even sure I have a question, I just need thoughts on the subject. I really want to go because it seems like an awesome experience and I like camping and things like that! But the thought of being in the same room as 20 other guys scares me for some reason. Guys can be cruel, too. Not just girls, and I really don't want to make people feel uncomfortable. (Even though I'm as human as them and I don't see the point in feeling uncomfortable about it. It's not like I'm gonna jump onto them while they're sleeping :eusa_doh: ) I wouldn't really know any of these people either so that doesn't help. Any thoughts on the situation would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! Also, I was wondering if I brought one of my male friends with me if it would make it less awkward and this hypothetical circle of awkwardness stops spinning.

2. Sandsworn

I definitely understand your feelings of awkwardness. I used to go to summer camp and while I didn't realise then that I wasn't straight, I can see how it might be a little weird.

Honestly, it depends on the camp. Many camps are structured so the girls and boys do everything together, and they only sleep in separate cabins (sometimes those cabins are right next to each other). That might make it easier for you. Having a friend will definitely help, too.

I'm assuming you've never been to overnight camp before. You should know that usually they'll have you running around doing stuff all day, so by nighttime you're exhausted and just want to sleep - so there isn't much room for any lying around in the dark with a bunch of other guys waiting for something to happen, or anything like that.

Guys definitely can be cruel - are you worried about coming out? Is that something you might want to do? When I was at camp there really wasn't much opportunity because while some guys and girls had little summer flings, it wasn't the main focus of the camp and if you showed no interest in anyone then nobody would bat an eye. Does your male friend know you're gay? That might make it easier for you - if you start to feel awkward or start liking a guy in your cabin, then talking to him about it could ease a lot of he tension.

Also, if you do decide to go, you can probably talk to your camp counselor about it, too. I'm sure he'd be perfectly accepting and do his best to make you comfortable.

3. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! And yes girls and boys do everything together during the day. You're totally right with everything, I just worry lots. Also, I'm out to everyone so I was just kinda scared of any bullying that might happen. I could just talk to the camp counsellor about it if it ever happens. I'm also (If I end up going) going with a few girls that I know and some are stronger than me and meaner looking. One gives death stares so ill be fine.