1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lgbt meeting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Anyone know how to get to a lgbt meeting ? And do u learn who u are in lgbt meeting? I'm scared if I go I might learn who I am and not like myself or I might be the str8 who stands out more :frowning2: any tips,advice and experiences and stories would help :slight_smile:

2. Hefiel

I'd reply with this video, oddly enough.

[YOUTUBE]LFBrRKnJMq4[/YOUTUBE]

Basically, you won't know until you try.

(Ok, I admit it. I've been wanting to post this for a while :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

#2 Hefiel, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. Hexagon

You may be able to find an meeting via a center or youth group, or you may be able to find one online. I don't know whether my experience is representative of all, but basically, my group is for LGBT youth. Its run by social workers, one of who is gay, the other is an ally. Its a place to get to know other LGBT youth. Sometimes we just talk, and sometimes activities are organised, such as outings, movies etc.

You may find a resolution to your questioning about your sexuality, but I doubt you'll learn everything about yourself. You're much more complicated than just your sexuality. Don't worry about not liking yourself - you know who you are, perhaps you haven't worked out all the details yet, but you know who you are, fundamentally, and that won't change because you discover that you're gay or bisexual. And if you find that you are heterosexual, don't worry about that either. Nothing has changed, and if you feel uncomfortable, don't go back.

Just be yourself. Everyone there will know what its like to be questioning their sexuality, and there may be some there who are still questioning. No one will judge you for it.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hefiel: Touché! :grin:

5. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I never went to a LGBT meeting until I was at university because I was afraid people would judge me for not knowing my sexuality, but I really wish I had because when I did it helped me to start to like myself and accept my sexuality. While finding your sexuality you will most likely have a brief stage of not liking yourself (if you don't ur very lucky) and its better to have this feeling around others who are like you and will help you feel less alone than at home afraid to go to meetings.

6. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Are lgbt centers fun? Can 19 yr olds come too?

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

Are lgbt center even fun? Can 19 yr old come to?

7. Hefiel

I've personally never been to an LGBT center (since there's none near me), but you should look into LGBT Youth Centers in your area, usually they're open to teens and young adults from 14 to 20ish years old.

Besides, whether they are fun or not depends on what you consider fun and the kind of activities that the LGBT center does. Just visit one if you can, and see what happens. If you like it, good. If you don't, well at least you tried and now you know. You've got nothing to lose.

8. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Depends on the people.

I went to an LGBT center for a transmasculine support group once. I didn't enjoy it; it was depressing and one very angry cis person dominated the conversation, basically sat there and yelled about how trans people wouldn't date her. But I did meet some great people and it did help me decide that I don't want to transition.

I never went to LGBT support groups in high school or college but people usually describe them as fun places where you play musical chairs and make posters and read books and basically get away from the world. I regret not going to those.

9. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u:slight_smile: I just wanna know who I am and why I can't see myself having a relationship and why I was always depressed :slight_smile:

10. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Btw are buses safe to go alone? Bc all my friends have and they came back safely

11. Hexagon

I think they can. And yeah, the groups can be fun sometimes. And as for buses, I don't know where you live, but the vast majority of bus rides end without accidents, thievery or kidnapping, and are just as safe as cars.

#11 Hexagon, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  12. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I live in the ny subarbs

13. Tlarkul

I visited a PFLAG meeting yesterday. While I was not comfortable with sharing details about myself (sharing stories with other people is optional if you are comfortable), it has given me perspective in that I am not alone in my struggle to come out of the closet, and that at an eventual point there is acceptance; some of the stories I heard detailed that it's not an easy road, and that the road to acceptance of self and among family takes time.

If you can visit a support group, you should go; as other people in this thread said, going there will give you some perspective.