1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you hold a grudge against a company that is anti-LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Apr 21, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you or have you held grudges against companies who come out and say anti LGBT things or donate to causes that go against LGBT rights? On the flip side, do you tend to buy things from pro LGBT companies?

I personally do hold grudges against companies, because I know if I buy their products, some of my money may or may not go to an anti LGBT cause. And I tend to buy from pro LGBT places. What do you usually do, and if you hold grudges, what are some products that you boycott?

2. Ticklish Fish

I still won't eat chick fil a at my school hahaha.
    but then there's a lot of food to eat anyways.
    (but the pizza hut is burnt blah. and the chicken pasta dont have much chiken in it)

3. Chick fil a, I'm not gonna eat there, not only it is anti-lgbt, there's no chick-fil-a anywhere near where I live LOL
    Domino's as well, I'll live off on Costco pizza instead.
    Target is a place that is anti-gay, and it is expensive there too.

I do buy things from Pro-LGBT companies.
    Starbucks is one example.
    Nike's is another example. Their shoes are awesome, plus the fact that they're pro gay, I go there more.

#3 anthonythegamer, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  4. Shiny Espeon

I used to love Chick-Fil-A. Until they had their little 'fundraiser' last year. I miss my Polynesian Sauce. :frowning2:

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here about Chickfila, closest one around me is maybe 100 miles away so I never ate there anyways. Their shenanigans last year made me never want to eat there either.

6. Eric

Depends on what you mean by grudge. I won't knowingly support companies who finance anti-LGBT causes, but I wouldn't really say I hold a 'grudge' against them.

7. Ticklish Fish

WAIT?
    target is anti gay? dafuq?

but i don't like starbucks since I don't drink coffee rofl!~

8. Hiems

^ One of Target's Minneapolis-based stores financially supported Minnesota Forward, a group that sponsored Tom Emmer's run for governor. He supported a Minnesota constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. That incident prompted Lady Gaga to not associate with Target anymore.

There was a controversy about Target not selling Frank Ocean's album. Presumably that had nothing to do with Target being anti-LGBT. Rather, the record company made the album an iTunes exclusive prior to being available in stores, prompting Target not to sell it.

So Target is meh in terms of being anti-LGBT. They're not as bad as Chic-Fil-A, which we know has donated money to groups that don't support marriage equality, etc.

9. prism

Free speech, yo.

The whole Chick-fil-A ordeal bothered me because there have always been corporations that fund anti-LGBT causes and contribute to anti-LGBT politicians. It was only a big deal because social media made it a big deal. People will swear off Chick-fil-A but will continue to purchase from Urban Outfitters, Walmart, Domino's Pizza, Target, Best Buy, and other companies that have been caught in similar scandals.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't remember the full Target story, but it seems to me that they supported conservative politicians in their home state (Minnesota). I can't remember the details, but I do remember that gay members of another forum were so angry they said, "I'll never shop there again!"

And yes, Target has gotten expensive. One major reason I don't shop there much is because of that. I especially find clearance specials of maybe a few cents knocked off to be insulting.

11. Convoy

I avoid companies that are openly anti-lgbt however if they are somewhat neutral I generally don't avoid them. I don't have the pleasure of being able to shop and purchase whatever fits my own political views, and even more importantly what fits my economic views.

I'm just glad that V'dub is pretty good about it; it's almost a reason for me to avoid other companies when they can't offer a competitive product and have social issues. Not a good incentive.

12. Ticklish Fish

PS.
    I don't remember chick fil a have vegetables besides the wraps lol.
    another incentive for me not to go there, yeah lol

13. isobella

Nope.
    I do however dislike companies which use social issues to market their product/s.
    Feeding us cause propaganda to target or repel specific audiences is really stupid, and will only harm their business.

14. Bolin

No. Why waste energy and peace of mind by holding a grudge when you can just not endorse their product?

15. Fiddledeedee

I have a preference for companies which are neutral on LGBT issues over companies which are against LGBT issues.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Depends on what you mean by grudge.
    I won't use the services of any company I know to be anti-LGBT.
    I don't spend much time thinking about those companies and how I don't like them or something.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I don't hold a grudge I just think they're on the wrong side of history

18. catatonie

I wouldn't call it a grudge. I do form most of my purchasing decisions around my own set of ethics, in general.

19. Lewis

I don't care as long as they provide the product and/or service that they claim to. Why would I care, I don't have to associate with these people. I'm not going to stop putting money into the economy just because I get upset with their anti-LGBT views.

20. Linthras

Linthras Guest

But that's a false dichotomy.
    You could make your purchase at a different company that's not anti-LGBT.