1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian or Gay Love Story/Movie??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by frogger, Apr 22, 2013.

1. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Anyone know of a good book or movie that is a love story about a gay or lesbian couple. Not just a book/movie with gays in it, but one that is like their love story. And one that's not just about sex. And one with a happy ending, not a bad ending where they split up or the world comes crashing down. Or at least a somewhat happy ending.

Like a Nicholas Sparks book/movie except with a lesbian/gay couple. I feel like there's nothing out there like that. Or i just can't find it.

2. EverythingWeBecome

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok I don't know many movies but my absolutely favourite is "Imagine me & you" it has a happy ending.
    Then I have seen"Loving Anabelle" and "Bloomington".They both begin with :girl goes to new school falls for the teacher.Loving Anabelle for me had a better ending than Bloomington though.
    I know some other movies too but those are the ones that got my attention.I could send you titles if you want.
    I've also heard about a movie called "Kyss mig" but I haven't got the chance to see it yet.Same goes for the movie "saving face"

Sorry but I have no idea about the LGBT books out there.Neither for specifically gay movies(never really thought about it)

3. Renge

D.E.B.S ! and Yes or No, its a Thai movie. I Can't Think Straight is funny too

4. I second 'Saving Face' - that's an incredibly cute, sweet movie with my only critique being too much blinking.
    I also hear good things about 'Codependent Alien Lesbian Seeks Same' although I haven't watched it myself personally.

For books I can recommend Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. And as an added bonus it also has a 3 part TV serial!

5. Little J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Seconding Loving Anabelle! Lots of emotion on that movie and made me weep like a toddler. Oh, and a really great one is Shelter.

6. QueerQueen

As far as books go...

Keeping You A Secret - Julie Anne Peters
    - By far my favorite, without spoiling anything two girls meet at school, one is lesbian and fully out, the other straight.. or so she thinks. It's cute, while still being very realistic and it deals with all the issues homosexuals face.

Annie On My Mind - Nancy Garden
    - Adorable story about two girls who meet at a museum. It's definitely a classic and it has a lot of romance, which is a plus in my mind.

Pages For You - Sylvia Brownrigg
    - Ahh this book is amazing from the beginning to almost the end lol, one girl is just starting college and the other is a graduate student. They meet at a coffee shop briefly and then again, when the graduate student ends up being a home room teacher.

Ash - Malinda Lo
    - Basically a remake of the Cinderella story, except it doesn't follow it exactly and it ends up being two girls.

Empress Of The World - Sara Ryan
    - Read this one a while ago, and didn't really enjoy it too much which is probably why it is not as memorable for me.. but a girl goes to spend her summer at a program for gifted students. She meets another girl and starts to develop feelings. Don't get me wrong it's a good story, and I like the way it is written they just don't have much of a relationship.

Girl Walking Backwards - Bett Williams
    - It's a story of a girl in high school, she goes through somewhat a roller coaster of feelings. She has a boyfriend and ends up falling for this sort of goth girl who cuts herself and the like, she finds out her boyfriend slept with the girl.. and well it's not that girl she ends up with. It's witty and a sort of different story... which I liked.

Those are honestly the only LGBT novels I have bought and read. So I can only really comment on those. You can check out reviews on sites like amazon and what not.. I just didn't want to say too much about them. Definitely not the only LGBT novels I will read, I plan on buying many more. :slight_smile:

7. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fairly sure Boy Meets Boy is a novel about a relationship between two gay guys. I'm planning on reading it over the summer. :grin:

I don't know any others that end happily. :/

8. Hexagon

Latter Days is really good IMO. It's sad in the middle, but it ends well, so I suppose it qualifies. It's a movie.

9. theMaverick

@Frogger if you check out my blog I have several chapters of a gay story that I'm writing. I haven't posted anything new in a while, but definitely check it out.

I've not read any gay books yet, although there are tons of self published things out there on the internet I'm sure. As far as movies go, Shelter is amazing. It's my favorite gay film I've seen so far.

The War Boys is a pretty good film, but it's not really all that gay, it just has a gay love subtext. The ending isn't the happiest.

A Home At The End of The World was fantastic but not happiest ending either.

Weekend doesn't have a happy ending.

I'm starting to see a theme....I understand why you asked for happy endings.

Shelter. Watch Shelter. It's good and happy.

I got nothing else.

10. frogger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys. Now I got a list of stuff to go through. I watched Loving Annabelle and loved it. I think I'll like shelter and saving face too, its on my list to watch lol.

QueerQueen thanks for all the book ideas, Ill start with Keeping You Secret and Annie on My Mind. P.S. your shirt is awesome!

11. IanGallagher

SHELTER is amazing!

12. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Keeping you a Secret by Julie Anne Peters is a definite favourite here. So is the movie Imagine Me & You. I've read/seen a few others, none that cheerful. You may want to consider the movie Beautiful Thing, about two boys who fall in love. I didn't find it amazing, but it was a pretty sweet story.

13. AlamoCity

I just rented on iTunes a really good Israeli movie called Yossi. It's a sequel to a movie called Yossi & Jagger. It deals with an ex-army soldier who lost his boyfriend (this happened in Yossi & Jagger which did have a sad ending) and became a doctor. He is really sad and lonely; he just works, eats, and sleeps. He is still in denial about being gay and he's also not confident in himself (he's a little chubby).

He takes a vacation to unwind and on the way meets a group of four Israeli soldiers and gives them a ride when their bus leaves without them. He bonds with one who is gay and they hit it off. It's a REALLY good movie; I recommend you see it if you're interested. It's not like a lot of the other gay movies that are just about sex; it has a very good storyline and the ending is phenomenal.

It's in Hebrew, so it has English subtitles.

[​IMG]

14. justjade

I really like I Love You Philip Morris. It's pretty sweet, I think, and of course, since it stars Jim Carey, you can expect some crazy stuff to happen. It breaks my heart every time I watch it because it's so sad.