1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope Benedict XVI

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Apr 20, 2005.

1. nisomer

What do you guys think of him?

My guitar teacher (who is German) told me that this guy is as far "right" (conservative) as you can possibly be. He said that (although he was probably exagerating) he was the next Mussalini. And now, after I read this article on msn, I'm starting to get a feeling about this new pope. I could probably tell you right now that he probably against all rights for homosexuality, seeing has how deeply conservative he is.

The article is located here.

Here are a few excerpts that I found most interesting/upsetting-

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires,” he said Monday in a pre-conclave Mass in memory of John Paul. The church, he insisted, must defend itself against threats such as “radical individualism” and “vague religious mysticism.”

He also shows no flexibility on the church’s views on priestly celibacy, contraception and the ban on ordinations for women.

In recent years, he took on issues outside church doctrine. He once called Buddhism a religion for the self-indulgent. In an interview with the French magazine Le Figaro last year, he suggested Turkey’s bid to join the Europe Union conflicted with Europe’s Christian roots — a view that could unsettle Vatican attempts to improve relations with Muslims.

A religion for the self-indulgent? How can someone say something like that and still be elected as pope...

2. hawkeye

this guy is extremely conservative. I guess he is 78 though, and almost all people that old are, but then again, why did they have to elect a 78 year old pope!? and about homosexuality, i guess we will need to wait another 15 years or so to have any chance of it being religously accepted. ehh, whats another 15 years after a eternity of suppression.
    Ohh! about turkey! thats amazing! to say that a country doesnt belong because of its religion is outragous! for the past 200 years it has been widely accepted that government and church are separated. this guy seems to have a need for political power. I do remembe reading in the new york times that he is looking to have more of an influence on governments. absolutely amazing.
    And of course he is trying to put down all other religions. He wrote this essay (doctorine?) in which he states that catholisism is true and holy, and all other religions are deceptive. sa basicly, if you aren't in the Catholic church, cb his eyes you are wrong. Then again, that is the basis of the religion, it is true and nothing else is.

3. hawkeye

lol! i was just reading the article and it mentioned this 80 year old italian grandmother toasting with red wine in a paper cup!

4. goratrix

Oh... don't kill me, but I don't expect this pope to last much. He's 78... so... 10 years? 15 at most? but it'll be more like 5. Anyway, it's the pope... do you really expect them to choose a pope that is not conservative? I mean... come on... It took them centuries to apologize for the inquisition...

5. hawkeye

agreed to the conservative part, but ive heard a lot that people think he is too conservative. people wanted to see a pope from another continent, or someone that has differences with the last pope. this guy is practicaly his mirror image.

6. CryCrazy27

<---not religious, not into politics. mmmmmmk.

7. Jas

Jas

Yer supposedly he is realli against homosexuality. He has spoken out about it and says its a mortal sin and all that. Defnitely not a liberally minded pope.

So yer I'm not a big fan of the Rat-zinger

Yer and cos of his age people are basically saying that who cares he wont be around for long anywayz (just not as bluntly as that)
    They say he is a tranmission sort of pope. Sort of like a rebound girlfriend or boyfreind lol. Just there until the next one comes along. Sounds bad but they sed it on the news so it must b ok rite? lol

8. nisomer

Yeah, that is what my history teacher said today. We were discussing him and he said that this pope is a transition like Jas said, so that the newer and younger pope will not have to follow John Paul II, but instead Benedict XVI.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your sig is awesome, by the way. I love Anya. One of my favourite Buffy quotes, that I sometimes use as a sig, is "I'm so evil. And skanky. And I think I'm kinda gay..."

10. TriBi

I think one thing to remember is that Pope John Paul ll was very conservative. Not only that, but he also appointed a very large number of the current Cardinals - ensuring that they would follow his doctrines and philosopies. That understood, it was always highly unlikely that any "new" Pope was going to be in any way more Liberal with his thinking.

To me, it would appear that Pope Benedict (Ratzinger) has been appointed mainly due to his loyalty to J.P.ll - as a "sop" if you will. That gives them time to think about who will be the next "longer term" Pope.

Just don't hold your breath for reform - they are ALL pretty right wing conservative ATM - J.P.ll made sure of that. I can't see the Catholic Church venturing too far out of the "Dark Ages" any time soon...(just my opinion!)

11. Jas

Jas

Yer Anya is the best huh?

That show has got sum of the best quotes ever and i was waitin for a buffy fan to notice it and make a comment. Funny how it happened in the post on the pope. Meh if it turns into a disussion on Buffy im fine with that. :icon_bigg

12. goratrix

I think willow is the best character. She's got it all, incredible power, magic and sge's gay. Put her in xander's body and that should make her perfect

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm totally happy with this turning into a Buffy thread. I think the Pope is nasty.

As for good quotes, yes, it's pretty much the most quotable show of the last hundred years. One which I use frequently is "What is your childhood trauma?"

Cordy rocks. Did you see her last episode on Angel? I cried. I totally cried. And I was totally caught off-guard with what happened, which is unlike me because I watch so much TV that I can often predict what's going to happen in terms of the plot.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Xander is GROSS! Well, he is now. Sorry, but he stopped being cute after 4th season.

I'm rewatching it on DVD...me and my friend recently finished Season 4. "I wear the cheese... it does not wear me." :lol:

15. goratrix

I meant his body. And I like him better on the last season.

16. Jas

Jas

Good idea. Pope=bad Buffy=good. In fact i shuld prolly make a new thread.

Yah huh i'm always usin qoutes from it all the time and wot bugs the hell outta me is wen my friends r like wot? Then i have to launch into an explanation of what episode the line is from and all that and then usually end it by saying 'u suck u should have watched buffy' lol

I need more buffy conscious freinds. And yer Xnader wasnt bad but Angel was pretty sweet.

"That probably would've sounded more convincing if I wasn't wearing my yummy sushi pajamas."

"It’s a doodle. I doodle. You too. You do doodle too."

Yer i culd go on 4ever with quotes lol.

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No no... you missed it!

"Pope bad, Buffy pretty"

Quick, name the episode and who said the unparaphrased quotation!

18. goratrix

Wow... I see now that I'm not a real fan... could we turn this into a star trek thread? there I would rule! (still, you all know i'm a nerd... so no suprirse there).

19. Jas

Jas

Hahaha i hadnt even ment for my pope=bad and buffy=good thing as a quote from the show but u picked up on it which means i love u now lol.

I noe i shuld have but anyways yer.

Fire bad, tree pretty-Buffy

Sed to Giles right near the end of season 2 last episode Graduation Day part 2.

Man im a loser lol. It culd becum a Star Trek one yer but id have to sit that one out. Never wacthed it.

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh you were SO close! But it was at the end of Season 3, not 2. End of Season 2 was sending Angel to Hell in Becoming Parts I and II.

:biggrin:

Still, you can have a crown: :king:

(because I couldn't have told you when the sushi pyjamas quote was made)