1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The root of the negative connotation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedLight, Apr 23, 2013.

1. RedLight

I was just wondering when "Faggot" came to mean "Homosexual male" and when it came to have its negative connotation, because as I understand it (Since I started reading the Lord of The Rings) it just means a pack of cigarettes in England. :eusa_thin

2. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fag is a cigarette.

Faggot is some really disgusting offal type food.

3. Hexagon

Well now days people say 'fag'. I hear the words 'I need a fag' about 20 times a day. I actually feel really uncomfortable when I hear that. I live in England, but I grew up in spain, and it might be said I wasn't exposed to much slang IRL, and so everything I learnt was online. Needless to say, I grew up thinking 'fag' was a terrible word.

4. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Side note, if you're out of cigarettes and you ask your mate to have one of theirs, you would say "can I bum a fag?"

Oh, the hilarity.

5. Hexagon

Or 'can I smoke a fag', which is less innocent :/

6. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    if you wanted to "borrow" a cagarette, you would never say that. It makes no sense.

7. Hexagon

No, sorry, I meant that as more of an addition to the linguistic coincidences related to the word 'fag'

8. YellowStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    people say that "faggot" used to mean a bundle of sticks, like to be used as kindling. that meaning makes the meaning switch to "pack of cigarettes" pretty clear, but not to "homosexual male." some think that it's a reference to burning gay people to death, which would definitely explain the negative connotation.....

9. RedLight

Woah woah woah, on the verge of tears here. Ouch, now that one hurt. :tears:

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just looked up the words. It appears faggot goes back to 1914 or so. Webster says: "earlier and dialect, contemptuous word for a woman or child, probably from fagot."

The Free Dictionary says about the same time for earliest known use, but unknown origin.

Also note that in the US "fagot" (one g) is the word for sticks, and "faggot" (double g) is the word for gay male. "Faggot" for sticks is British.

Not that I'd use fagot...it's too likely to be confused. As I well recall from high school when one classmate discovered that "faggot" wasn't just a word used to insult other boys....