1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm fed up and I've had enough

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fionnlagh, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Fionnlagh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today, a few friends and I went to the park to have a quick game of football when some guys from the same university came up to us and tried to intimidate us by shouting things like "Get tae, ye poofters" at us. It's not like we were trying to antagonise them, we were just having a friendly kick about and minding our own business but this happens all to often to us wherever we go.

So what do you think, should we ignore or confront homophobia in the future?

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignore them, I had to deal with twats like that before(usually younger than me and my friends) just go somewhere else it's not worth getting into fights with prats. Don't let it get you down :slight_smile:

3. RedLight

Walk away, like the poster above me said, it's not worth it. It'll be worst if you start a fight than if you walk away from them now.

4. ignore it and walk away, it could get nasty if you retaliate.
    (*hug*)

5. FruitFly

Despite knowing that I'd say something back I do agree with the advice most people have given, namely:

Better to act with dignity than to engage someone in something that could quickly escalate. As good as it may feel to respond it often causes more problems than it's worth. All too often I've seen it end up with black eyes and split lips, or some eejit holding a grudge that a "wee poofter" had the bottle to retaliate that results in someone ending up in hospital, that just isn't worth it.

#5 FruitFly, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. Fionnlagh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the replies. This time we just left because there were about ten of them but what if I'm in a situation where a group of people are physically attacking me, what do I do then?

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unless they got physical, I'd ignore them.

8. Naren

What on earth does "Get tae, ye poofters" mean?
    You know when little kids try to insult people and it just sounds cute? It reminds me of that for some bizarre reason. Try to ignore the twats, they get twatted themselves in the end.

9. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pretty sure it's something along the lines of "Get out of here, you totally fabulous homosexuals." Or, more simply transcribed to real English, "get to, you poofters."

10. Fionnlagh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, "Get tae" just means go away. It's not like I'm scared of people, because I could probably defend myself pretty well if I had to, but when there is a group of them I do get anxious and I'd just rather not have to deal with it so often. If we get hassle from these particular guys again, I think I will make a complaint to the university about harassment.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Groups of guys will always try to intimidate other groups.
    It is totally different when you talk to one of them in private.
    If it´s not you they shout at, it´s some girls or whatever. It´s just their way of ego-boosting.
    I don´t think they will get physical.

12. Alexander69

I'd be like SUCK IT BITCHES! LOL JK no ignore it it's not worth your time I know how it feels the adrenaline starts pumping and you can't think about anything but them and wanting to beat them shitless! I know I used to get in fights alllll the time I was addicted to the adrenaline rushes I thankfully got over it but still on Xbox I freak I can't stand people talking shit. But you have to take a breath and be like "these dicks aren't going anywhere" and just calm down and think rationally!

13. FruitFly

If being physically attacked you have to try and keep yourself as safe as possible, however you can. Outside of getting away from the situation and contacting the police I'm not sure whether I have any useful advice.

When the police came over to campus and explained how we could protect ourselves it was pretty much:

1. Have upon your person a rape/personal alarm - should you be attacked activate it.
    2. If you can attempt to wind your attacker - then get as far away as possible while seeking help.
    3. The law means that should you be attacked you can use anything in your possession which is NOT something that may be described as an offensive weapon in your defence; you may use your keys, an umbrella, and even a laptop if you think it will aid in stopping your attacker.

They did not go into much detail, I think at one point they said something about how if you cannot fight them off then you need to try and protect your head/vital organs from blows. To be honest I kind of dozed off after they handed me a rape alarm and explained how to use it.

14. Hexagon

Unless at physical risk, I would generally suggest either mocking them or politely educating them, depending on which would me more effective. If you are at a risk of physical violence, then protect yourself however you can - ignoring, reporting, running.

15. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    There is no reason to pay attention to Homophobia.Unless as the other said,they use violence then run for your life.Or if youre strong enough teach them a lesson with your fists.But personally i choose the way to ignore these things,since many people called me bad things many times about being gay,so i learned to ignore them and be myself.