1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypical Gay Colours...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clarkec1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Hi everyone. So I was just wondering of the common stereotypical gay colours are true.

For a gay male, they might be thought of to have favourite colours like pink and purple etc.

For a lesbian female, they might be though of to have favourite colours like blue black or red etc.

But does this actually mean anything, or is it just a terrible stereotype. I won't deny it I quite like the colour purple, but I also like orange and red.

There might be people out there that completely match this stereotype, but I'm not sure how common it is.

If someone likes the colour blue, that doesn't completely rule out that they are gay does it?

Thanks in Advance!

2. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are just that -- stereotypes. Meaning yes, they are accurate in some marginal cases, but generally not true.

I would say that loving the color pink seems like stereotypical gay behavior. But if a guy's favorite color is blue, red, green or something, it doesn't say anything about his sexuality. So no, it doesn't rule it out at all!

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^This

4. June Cleaver

Yep! Not true, my favorite color has always been Peacock Blue and Yellow as a close second. I don't match the gay stereotypes at all. Of corse I am a transwoman.

5. RainbowMan

My favorite color is red or blue, but you'll find me wearing a purple shirt a disproportionate amount of time to what a straight guy would probably. I like it, wouldn't say it's my favorite. I just think it looks good on me.

So yeah, a stereotype that there might be some truth to in my case, but I'm a straight-acting guy too, so the other stereotypes don't hold. You can't define a group by stereotypes, that's for certain.

6. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Thanks for the responses. Please keep them coming!

I'm not sure whether this is the boy's favourite colour, but his wall colour is blue, so yeah.

thanks!

7. AKTodd

Favorite colors are grey and green probably followed by blue followed by red or burgundy.

Prefer darker shades all around.

Todd

8. Femmeme

I've never heard of lesbians liking black, red and blue.

Black is my favorite color, but that has more to do with gothiness than dykieness. :evil:

9. FruitFly

Favourite colours are an unreliable indicator of sexuality. The only stereotype I've ever heard regarding colours and sexuality refer to pink being "gay" and even that is fading in some areas.

10. The Dude

My favorite color is green, but I wear orange a lot for my favorite sports team. I also wear brown and blue a lot.

Never once owned a pink or purple shirt. So if wearing pink/purple = being gay, then I have to rethink my sexuality. Just when I thought I was figuring things out!

Joking aside, color means nothing in terms of sexual orientation.

11. Eric

I've moved this thread to chit chat as I feel that's a more appropriate setting for this discussion. :slight_smile:

12. Jared

My favorite color when I was little was pink and it infuriated my dad to no end hehe. Now I'd definitely have to say my favorite color is blue and grey is a very close second.

13. I'm bisexual (not gay) but I like red and black. Not pink, I like purple though due to my old best friend's favourite colour being blue and blue and red make purple...

14. I'm pretty sure that I'm a Lesbian, and my favorite color is Red.... You win this round, stereotypes -.-

15. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Can I ask if a boy's favourite colour is blue, does it wipe out the probability of him being gay?

16. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I like turquoise, orange, and a lot of different shades of blue and green.

I hate the color pink, especially on guys, I find it extremely tacky.

17. wrhla

wrhla Guest

I generally don't have a favorite color. I do like certain purples, but it's all a matter of context.

One anecdote however: In my freshman year in college, back in the dinosaur age, I lived in a one-bedroom apartment off campus. (That was actually affordable for a student in the early 1970s.) and although I was very, very closeted, I did paint my bedroom pink. I happened to like pink more in those days than I do now, but I subliminally knew what message I was sending to anyone in my bedroom. (Alas, it was wasted. I slept with one or two women that year. I would not have dared sleep with a man.)

Indeed, I wore a good deal of pink in those days. I liked bright colors, including pink and yellow. And, as I say, I would never have admitted it to myself, but surely I knew what I was signalling.

Also there was some cliche about gay men wearing green on Thursdays as a sign to one another. I have no idea whether that was true.

18. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Light Green, (Light?) Cyan and Sky Blue. Anything that looks like a mix (or either) of a light colour of blue and green for me! :slight_smile: I quite hate dark colours...

I don't mind pink or purple at all, but it definately isn't my favourite. :astonished:

#18 DannyBoi66, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  19. JPC

JPC Guest

I hate pink, it's just a bit too gaudy for me. I much prefer blue and green. That's just yet another gay stereotype.

20. Level75

I think gay men might be more willing to admit they like a color like pink. Or more willing to give pink a chance before deciding whether or not they like it.

I prefer black or blue. I notice I've been more willing to give green clothes a try lately though.