1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if your really close friend is actually... a thief?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blue0090, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

To make the long story short, I got my iPod stolen. I asked my friend who we'll call J (she's a girl) to watch my stuffs. So then I came back and got on the bus with her and while I was looking for my keys in my bag I realized my iPod wasn't there. She said there was a point when she went to the store so it must have been stolen while she was away. She kept saying sorry and how she feels bad and stuff. Thinking it's still my fault for leaving it in my bag, I forgot about it and started saving for a new one.

Then one day V (my best friend) was having lunch with her and saw her take out a black video iPod (just like the one I had). V borrowed J's iPod and saw it had the EXACT same songs and exact same videos and is also missing an earphone (I cut the other one off cuz it broke). I thought it might've been a coincidence, then V told me the serial number starts with a 8M. Fortunately i still have the iPod box, so I looked for it when I got home and checked the serial number. Boom! It starts with an 8M. So I'm now 100% sure that she's the one who stole it.

So the plan is to steal it back from her. One day afterschool V dragged J to the store and she left her stuffs by the school. So while they were in the store I was going through her stuffs looking for my iPod, unfortunately it wasn't there. But I saw her really awesome camera and thought of stealing it, but I didn't.

The following day I decided to steal the camera the next time I get the chance. So afterschool I told M about my plan. Then she told me that the camera is actually hers, J also just stole it from her. She just didn't do anything because she's a really good friend of hers.

But after discussing the situation over and over, we came up with a plan.
    She's gonna steal my iPod back.
    And I'm gonna steal her camera back.
    :slight_smile:

So yea.. wish us luck :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Zak

Zak

Lol! GL

3. panda

Why don't the both of you just confront her with the fact she's a thief?

4. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

duh cuz stealing more fun

5. I don't mean to be rude, but I think that it's a little bit juvenile to resort to the same behavior, even if you both are 100% sure that she stole both of your items. IMHO, simply stealing your stuff back won't solve anything. True, you'll have the instant gratification of getting what was taken back, but what's to say that your friend won't do something like this again? Doing what you're planning, to me at least, doesn't send a clear enough message to somebody that stealing from people you're close to isn't okay. Talking to her about it and being more vigilant towards the whereabouts of your things may be all the prevention you need so that another incident like this won't happen again.

So I agree with panda. I'd confront her about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

But if we just confront her she could just simply deny it and be like "what are you talking about i dont have it" and she'd find out that we know it so she'd just leave those stuffs at home so we wouldn't be able to steal them from her

we don't really care about her anymore we just want our stuffs back

7. In that case, perhaps seeking the assistance of a parent or a police officer could help?

8. CrimsonThunder

Sounds like a super awesome friend to me. >_>

Get your stuff back and be gone with her!

9. davo-man

I think you should confront her when she has your ipod with her. Keep the part of the box that has the serial number in your wallet so that at any time you can confront and she her the box with the serial number. Then tell her that if she ever steals anything from you again that you are going to go to the police.

Then again, you have to think why she would do it? Is she trying to seek attention? I mean if I stol something like an ipod, I wouldnt be stupid enough to use in front of the person who I stole it from unless i wanted attention. Or perhaps she just realy really wanted it

Anyway, I agree that stealing it back would be quite juvenile and confronting her about it would be better...but that's just my opinion

10. Hydrogen

Well I would have confronted her the moment I found out she had stolen it, and ended the friendship. Anyone who would stoop that low is not worth being around.

I confront her, and let her know that a fellow friend (don't mention the name) helped you verify the serial number, so you know she has it. More then likely w/ the evidence she will hand it back over and beg you not to tell anyone. I would take it back, and let other mutual friends know so they don't have there things stolen.

People start with small things, like Ipods, Cell Phones, etc.. the more time that goes on the more adventuresome they get. Next thing you know your cash, credit cards, keys, etc go missing, or odd charges start showing up on your bank statement. As they get older it can turn into larger crimes.

If she refuses to return your property, let the authorities know if it is worth it. However, I will be honest anything under $500 in value is not worth reporting, as it is just a slap on the hand assuming they take the report.

11. TyraBanksIsFierce

Its true.

12. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Good luck stealing. I would confront her after you steal your stuff back though, as she may deny it and have your stuffs forevers.

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, we have a friend who was once a thief. But we sorted her out quickly enough.

Good luck with stealing your stuff back!! :grin:

14. Louise

I Know that confronting her about her stealing would be very hard and embarassing but it really is the best way to sort this out. You need to work with V... when V sees her with your ipod he needs to phone you tell you where they both are and you come and meet them (with the serial number of your ipod of course). Then you simply ask J for her ipod so that you can check the number. You can do the same thing with the camera.

Or just simply go to her house (when her parents are there) and ask for your stuff back. Take your ipod box with you and when she denies it tell her mother why you are there and ask her if you can check the serial number. However IF you are mistaken be ready to make some pretty quick excuses!

Stealing back your stuff is not a good idea, this lowers you to her level.

15. wildncgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if your so called friend is stealing from you, then it's not really a friend. She needs to be confronted before she gets herself arrested..but then again that may be the wake up call she needs.

#15 wildncgirl, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  16. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, confront her. Don't be dragged down to her level. She'll beat you with experience. :eek: Twould also be fun to see how awkward she gets when she is rumbled. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And what if V's lying, or mistaken, about that being her camera? You think you can talk your way out of that one? "V told me it was hers and that J stole it from her, so I was stealing it back for her." Yeah, that sounds good.

Be a man about it. (And by "man", I mean adult.) Tell her she's been seen with an iPod that perfectly matches the description of yours, down to the playlist and headphones. Tell you still have the box with yours, and you can compare serial numbers. Ask her for it back, and say if you get it back, the story ends there, and you won't hold a grudge. If she refuses, tell her you're sorry she's going to be like that, write her off, and chalk up the iPod as a small price to pay for learning about what kind of friend J is.

Lex

18. Tim

Tim

I accidently stole a beanie baby from my friend once -.- We were doing relay for life, and they gave out beanie babies to some people, one being my friend. (I had intended to buy one the next day, as I have a mini collection XD) Anyways, Everyone fell asleep but me and one other person, and I can't walk very long due to my weight, but I still walked 2 hours straight, the other person walked 3 hours, then when we woke someone up to walk instead of us, they got pissed off. Needless to say, I had my mom come pick me up, when I got home, I noticed the beanie baby was in my backpack (I had left it open, I mean they are my friends, they aren't gonna steal my CD player [Yes, CD player XD, didn't have a MP3 Player]). Anyways, when I woke up, I called my friend, and she said don't worry about it, just keep it, she didn't want it anyways. I apologized, and she said "Tim, it's not a big deal, I know you didn't do it on purpose." Anyway, I still kinda think she put it in there, as she knew I collected them lol, unless I had really odd luck and it fell in my backpack from on top of the table or something.

A lot of my friends have accidentally taken something of mine, but I forgive them, as a lot of the time people don't realize what they've done (I dropped so much stuff into my friends backpacks when walking back to my desk it's not funny, I'm a klutz -.-)

But Yea, Confront your friend, ask her if you can compare the serial numbers, it's quite possible you guys got it near the same time, and the lot numbers are similar.

19. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Why dotn u just beat her up ^_^ thats fun, or just steal it

20. LisaH

this is almost like what happened to me last month. i don't know how to tell the whole story but to cut short i begin with where it's matter. i invited a group of friends (included 3 friends to one of my male friend, 6 friends to my bf and my 5 close friends) to a club. in the middle of the fun, my friend G drunk and we have to send her to A's house because we have no idea how to go to G's house. when on the way home i searched my bag to check for the stuffs inside, i realized my ipod (just bought for 9 days) was gone but the other 3 purses inside were still save. i tried to asked everyone but no one has the idea about it. the next day, E the friend of my bf told me that he saw my close friend S holding it when we are at A' house. i struggled for a long time whether to confront her or just ignore it and i know if is really she did it she wont admit (duh! and she's a best liar in the world too). i ended up this with an argument with her and she told the whole world that she cant believe and disappointed that the best friend of her do not believe her and blamed her for nothing. the questions are am i really wrong that i confronted her because of 1 witness statement (fyi, at the beginning i asked her in a good way that was she accidentally took it), who's the real thief and if really S did it why she still dare to hold it in front of so many people in the house?

lost something is normal to feel sad but something stolen by a friend of mine is unforgivable and unforgettable. i dont know who's the real thief yet but i dont feel to meet them anymore. is hurt.